Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Caution, I wouldnt buy another one
By T. Bronk

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in late 2004. I had it for about three months, when the steering gears needed replacement. About a year and 1/2 later, I had the same issue. Again, replaced the steering gears and guess what is wrong again. Not to mention I have already had the heater unit replaced and now the AC unit doesnt work. For the money, you get a good deal, but for the value, I dont think so. It's funny, I bought a Mazda & Chevy from this dealer, and when I asked them which 1 they thought I have brought into the shop the most, they said the Mazda. WRONG 7 years NO ISSUES. Chevy Malibu on the other hand... Going to head out and trade in this junk car, Now I know why they are going belly up

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

For Chevy to review the many websites that clearly show the issues and make a fix for them. Or at least stand behind their product

Very fine car!
By Bob in CO

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine from my credit union as an ex-rental car with under 20K miles. I drive approximately 20K miles/year, mostly highway miles. This car has been great. I have the LS with the V6 engine. It is very comfortable, gets approximately 28mpg combined city/highway, and around 31-32mpg with strictly highway driving. The traction control works VERY well on snowy Colorado roads. The engine has been trouble free (I now have approximately 70K miles on it), with nothing more than normal maintenance having been necessary to date. The body is free of noises and rattles, and the seats are VERY comfortable, especially on long drives. The trunk is huge, and easy to access,

Favorite Features

Comfort, powerful V6, and great MPG. Driver Information Center (DIC) provides lots of information and allows changing functions of the keyless entry remotes.

Suggested Improvements

The spare tire well in the trunk cannot hold a full-size spare. I don't know if that was changed in later years, but hopefully it was.

My Chevy
By Amy

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had to replace the stereo twice, the dealership says that "self made cd's" tend to not work in the cd players and they will eventually get stuck inside. I can't have the back windows down on the freeway cause of a knocking wind sound but the gas mileage is good. Regular oil changes and tire rotations and maintenance work wonders. The car gets me where I need to go and with any product you buy, there will always be issues. I find that people who complain non stop about their cars are the people who do not do the regular maintenance. This is a long term investment that does require routine care. Sometimes you get a lemon though. It is American made and that is good.

Suggested Improvements

Make the interior easier to clean up, it shows everything!

2005 Mailibu Maxx Best Car Ever!
By Paul

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Three years of great driving and lots of power with v-6 engine. Had no problems during warranty period. However, recently noticed a noise in the steering. Car is now 3 months out of warranty and dealer called GM for me and they replaced steering column paying 75% of total cost. I was happy with this gesture from GM. I was out $150 on the total cost of repair. Car has been great in snow and ice. I got 4 studless snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack.com and it is rock solid in bad weather conditions in Idaho.

Favorite Features

Hatchback feature allows room for skis, bicycle and tons of stuff with rear seats down. V-6 that averages 28+ mpg on road at high speeds. Suspension great on mountain roads and switchbacks. I have had five 6' adults seated in this car no problem

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the Maxx! Everyone who sees the cars asks about it. I was surprised to have the steering problem with less than 30K miles on the car. GM was generous with the fix cost. Perhaps they have resolved this issue with newer models of the Malibu.

GM gor it right
By Amazed

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car from Budget Car Sales - a lease return at 70,000 Kilometers. 6 months driving & no problems. Budget supplied new premium tires and battery as part of a deal that was better than from new/used GM dealer. Gas mileage around city is an amazing 28 mpg (U.S. gallons)and freeway (interstate 90 from Spokane to Seattle at the posted speed limit 34 mpg. The flow meter on the radio is very accurate.

Favorite Features

Great sound system!