Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Definition of a "normal" car
By noah14

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The 2002 Malibu is extremely normal. It's practical, a bit faster than you might think, but its boring looks keep it in the "grandma car" category. Pros: -Practical size. Not to big on the outside, plenty of space on the inside. -Reluctantly fast. At first I thought I was driving a slow car since I got it from my grandmother, but it's actually pretty quick compared to these new eco-friendly 4-cylinder sedans with a million gears that won't let you touch 4,000rpm. If you coax it, it'll move. Cons: -Looks. It's not ugly, it's just boring. Silver lining: cops won't notice you. -Lots of little repairs. Annoying things like the indicator keeps clicking for no reason.

Favorite Features

-V6 engine. Not strictly speaking fast, but it'll downshift and put you back in your seat if you give it some encouragement. Solid at high speed, will do over 100mph without making you nervous. -Comfortable -Trunk size -Plenty of small storage in the cabin -Seems to be good on tires -Cops won't notice -Holds its value relatively well -Pleasant engine sound -Surprisingly good road feedback for such soft suspension. -Ergonomic

Suggested Improvements

-Indicator clicking noise sometimes won't stop for 5 minutes or more. Repair is over $500 because they have to take the dash apart -Air conditioning is not very cold. It also keeps turning off randomly. The fans keep going, but all of a sudden it's ambient air coming through, not cold and you have to push the button again. -Soft handling, understeer in the corners -Incredibly boring to look at -Cheap interior plastics, very GM quality. -Sound system is cheap -Has power, but always seems reluctant to use it. You generally have to hit the gas pretty hard and wait a second for it to wake up and kick in. -Gas mileage isn't great, but can be improved with gentle driving.

2002 Chevy Malibu
By dlynnh

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

If anyone has issues with it not starting refer to GM service tech bulletin no 01-08-49-020 concerning the ignition lock cylinder/switch replacement revision dated December 2001. I am so sick of this problem, have contacted GM since they seem to have issues with ignitions, they need to look at this model. According to the local dealer, no recalls never took place. Fear that if it does start and I go somewhere will shut off while on road.

Favorite Features

I love the car for its looks only as it sits in the yard.

Has its quirks but keeps on plugging
By pegdee

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from Hertz (at 24,000 miles) in 2003, and 11 years later it's at 152,000. I've used it for lots of city driving in San Francisco (those hills and traffic are hard on a car), highway driving, and trips on rough roads in the Sierra. Engine is still going strong, and I haven't had to spend much on repairs. The biggest (and scariest) problem was a fuel pump failure while I was on the road. The anti-theft system can be annoying when it won't let you start (has happened to me about 4 times over the years), but all you need to do is wait it out for 10 minutes.

Favorite Features

Extremely comfortable driver's seat, good visibility all around, great trunk capacity, strong engine that can handle uphill driving without a struggle, easy to handle on mountain roads, reliable performance. This car was a great value, and I'll miss it very much when I finally need to move on.

Suggested Improvements

I sure hope that Chevrolet has abandoned the touchy anti-theft system by now.

Great car
By jilikins

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 2002 Malibu that we originally bought in 2007. Never had any major issues with it and because of high mileage hubby put on it driving 90 miles back and forth to work, we decided to look for another car. We found a 2002 Malibu (this one is loaded) with 80,000 miles on it and promptly bought it. My husband is a back yard mechanic of sorts (built a '66 Chevy II from the ground up into a pro-street car) and so he does regular maintenance on it and changes the oil religiously and tune ups and such. Sure, we've had to change the brakes on both our vehicles, but that is the norm. Great, great car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, ability to get up to speed quickly if needed, gas mileage, design, very few mechanical problems. Enough room for trips with our dog and all the gifts we bring back. Just a wonderful vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Other than asking for the impossible-50 mpg-I have no suggestions for improvements.

I regret buying this car!
By ck1102

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I usually don't leave reviews like this, but maybe I will save someone from the headache of owning this piece. I bought my 02 Malibu in 2010, and it only had 80k miles on it. Now, with 130k miles and regular checkups, I've had to replace the ignition switch, fuel pump and filter, water pump, the wheel baring twice, the master cylinder and entire brake system, oxygen sensor, the throttle body sensor, the temperature gauge, spark plugs,2 speakers, 2 batteries, 2 sets of brand new tires, and the door handle. This adds up to a significantly higher amount than the car is actually worth, and guess what? My head gasket just blew and flooded my entire engine. Thanks, Chevy, thanks a lot.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Chevy should start paying people to drive the Malibu, since mine and a co-worker's seem to have all the same issues and nobody should ever spend any money them.