Used 2007 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (102 reviews )

Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde
By Eric

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our 3rd X3, and I loved the other two, both 2005s. This seems to be a different vehicle. Same great finish and handling, but awful acceleration. As written elsewhere, it is bothersome and dangerous. I loved the responsive, fun to drive qualities of our other X3s. This one makes me scared to enter the highway. Not so fun. Once you get past 40, it is fine, but getting there can be tough. Sometimes you punch it and boom, other times you count to three before anything happens. Someone is going to get into an accident because of this. We went to the dealer and they tried a software fix, but it only made it marginally better and we seem to have lost 1-2 MPG. Disappointing.

Interior, handling, safety, decent mileage, service at dealership. Fun, fun, fun to drive.

Navigation (awful), Transmission (awful) bluetooth (so-so)

6 speed manual = happy
By foothills

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There is a lot of complaining about the automatic transmission version of this machine. I bought an x3 manual with 6000 miles on it in February 2008 and have put 8000 miles on it since then. This is a great vehicle if you like driving. Fantastic low-end torque. Great acceleration in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th and 6 are highway overdrives. Corners flat in aggressive driving. Have never had better brakes. Pulls a utility trailer loaded with stuff for the dump like its not there. I was skeptical about BMW reliability. No issues so far and the 100,000 mile warranty should have me covered. It doesn't have all the cup holders and storage that a Japanese vehicle has... drives much better though.

The engine! This thing wants to be revved and driven. Handling is great. AWD is better in Vermont winters than a 2003 Land Cruiser and 2006 Honda Ridgeline, both sold. Performs great in all weather conditions. Passes cars on highway like they are standing still, like a four cylinder liter bike.

If the X3 got 30 miles per gallon I would never want another car. I'm getting 18-19 overall, flogging it. 6 cd changer should be standard equipment. Overall, best vehicle I have ever had so far. All the pluses outweigh the so so gas mileage, even at $4.50/gallon.

Goodbye !
By VincentView

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I finally had enough. Took a major loss by trading in the 2007 X3. Bought the car for 43K and got 29K in trade in ! The transmission problem in my opinion is dangerous and makes the car unpredictable in many situations (turns, acceleration from stop). Although I brought it back to the dealer for the fix, the problem persisted. In my opinion, it is a disgrace that BMW has the audacity to label this thing the "ultimate driving machine". I have been permanently soured by the BMW brand. Goodbye !

Exterior looks and design.

Electronics: below industry standard. Transmission: well below industry standard.

Makes Driving Fun
By loyalbmw

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I drive a lot. Over 120 miles a day. Its sleek, powerful using the steptronics, and comfortable. I have been a BMW owner for a few years now and traded in my 06 330i for the x3. So far no complaints.

Interior, steptronics, and steering.

Stock 20 inch rims, and more power of course.

Class Ride
By Ken Nersesian

2007 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife who was reluctant to own since she doesn't like the tight, sports car like ride. She prefers the soft, floating on air feel. Well, it's mine now. The X3 has a lot of get up and go, and you just have to breathe on the brakes to stop the vehicle. On the highway, you need self-control to keep it under 100 mph. It's like riding on a rail. However, around town in stop and go traffic, it is not smooth acceleration and shifting. It lurches off the line and then quickly starts upshifting. It's what my wife did not like about it, and I have to agree. All things considered, it is an awesome vehicle and has a real class aura about it. I highly recommend it.

The looks, the highway ride, the engineering, the attention to quality, the vista moonroof, the heated steering wheel, the monaco blue color.

Gas mileage is ok, not great. The "unsmooth" acceleration really is disturbing. I brought it back to BMW where they re-programmed the transmission, it didn't help.

• SUV