2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
It rocks, but fix the climate control
By BMW Lover on 12/04/05 18:33 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this one with 17k miles on it - for $10K under book. What a deal!!! I replaced the noisy Yokohamas with Bridgestone SO2's (Pole Positions) and could actually hear the beautiful engine sounds. Handles like a dream - loves the rainy roads almost better than the dry. Always ready to go as fast as I dare and never balks. I bought an extended warranty to 7 years/100K miles - great idea. I've gotten more than I paid for the warranty in paid repairs - some are right expensive. Biggest complaint is that BMW Service can't seem to find out why it is blowing A/C in my face when it's 45 degrees outside and I've got both thermostats set on 78-80 degrees. It makes me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD on 09/13/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

Favorite Car Ever
By cbren007 on 08/25/05 23:56 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

After 6 1/2 years and 123,000 miles, it's time to get a new one. Best car I have ever owned. Aside from Cam Sensors,a Blower Resistor and a power steering hose, only other thing I have done is std stuff like change the Oil. Rule of thumb with BMW is never to use the dealer unless it is a electrical problem and you will save big bucks. Manual and sport pkg is the only way to go. Great performance and avg 25MPG. Car, both inside and outside looks like it did the day I drove it off the lot and performs like new. Unreal fit and finish that lasts and is a Gold Standard for automobiles. My new 530i is on order and I can't wait. Expensive yes, but worth it if you love to drive.

Pricey to own
By Daddio on 04/04/05 22:04 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Greetings fellow beamer owners to be. Well this is by far the nicest car I have ever owned. It has everything you will ever need speed, comfort, luxury. A few things to be aware. Servicing this monster is VERY expensive. Cup holders stink, and it could use a better radio for the money.

It is almost perfect for me.
By Edmond on 04/02/05 01:02 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Solid car. No major problems. The following items have been repaired or fixed so far: 1. cam position sensor. 2. Water pump. 3. thermostat. 4. Seatbelt harness cause the SRS light on. Almost all the parts you can order from the internet for very cheap price.

My first car from across the pond...
By skent on 03/24/05 12:50 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Confidence inspiring. That really sums it up. This car has legendary handling, more than adequate power and killer brakes. This is my first BMW and it will not be my last. I was a little concerned about the maintenace stories, but after having the car a while and doing some research on maintaining this car and some of the cures to common issues, I'm not at all worried. Love the styling in and out. The style #66 wheels are my favorite as well.

Great car to buy for the money
By IK on 02/17/05 00:41 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. It already had 92000 miles. I drove for one year and it is over 100K. The car runs perfect and in a very good shape. The only thing is you have to change the oil on time and the car will last you for a very long time. It is perfect for short or long trips. You can be a single person or have a family, this car will work for you no matter what. When it comes to snow, it is not that difficult to drive if you know what you're doing. Overall, the car is great and I would recomend it to anyone who can afford it.

Yeah, baby!!
By Childersb on 01/04/05 22:44 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

My wife made me buy it. Honest! I was set on a 2002 Lexus IS300. Boy, was she ever right! There is just no comparison between the two. This is by far a classier, more powerful (and expensive) animal of a car! And, I bought it with17K miles for $10K below book. Yeah, baby!! I bought an Extended Warranty for $2400 and have gotten $2000 worth of use from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THESE CARS!! As has been said, repairs are expensive -every time. Though, I have had no major issues with this car. I put Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires - $1Kfor 4 - 20K miles a set - on this car. It LOVES the rain, almost better than the dry road. I LOVE THIS CAR!

2000 528i Sport
By mhardey on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since new, and after three and one-half years and 108,000 miles still feels like a new car. The ride on the sport suspension is solid as a rock; with Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's it goes around corners like it's on rails, yet is quiet on the highway. At a steady 65 mph will deliver 32+ mpg. Outstanding for a car that can do 0-60 in under 8 seconds and is capable of cruising all day at 90 mph with incredible comfort.

Allen's critique
By BMWfool on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is a gas to drive. Responsive and solid. Feels and handles like a sports car. Now the bad news: be prepared to be raped by your local BMW service dept. They assume all owners are rich and do not care about price. My dealer was charging my wife $125 for an oil change!(Try $8 a qt. for Mobil 1 that can be had at parts stores for under $6) Routine repairs are always $800 to $1,000. I have all the service records and will be happy to share the news.I will buy another when pigs learn to fly. My '01 Corvette is faster,way cooler and I get the oil changed for $40.