Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Stay with the E39
By Sim Simma Bimma

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Ok, this is my second Bimma. 1st was an 84 325e that saved me a couple of times. I bought this 528i in 06 with only 35k miles on it. Only issues were the typical stuff that I had my dealership fix. The reason I am writing this review is to state that I just got 620 miles on 1 tank of gas. I am no "hiper-miler" but that's outstanding. That equated to 34 mpg. Just installed my own cd player and a sub. 10 speakers and still no bass. great thing is that my radio charges my bbery curve.

Gas mileage, look and performance. How could I forget about the DSC. That feature is one of the best features on any car.

Lumbar support, fold down rear seats, better cup holders. Maintenance is expensive but if you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the car.

MPG
By Jan

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Awful cup holders with AC blowing on them. Mine has 94,000 and just performs more gracefully with age. Recommend you absolutely find a local garage that you trust and you will save at least half of dealer repairs. My MPG indicates 5.9 miles per gallon (not, not on liter scale). But I seem to be getting about 16 MPG, which is not great. For first time this week, I used 89 instead of 91 at the pump and car is running beautifully.

Performance. Manual shift is wonderful. Exterior lovely, soft lines. Never want another car!

Fun but expensive
By ServicePatrol

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Owned the 528 with M sport package, The sport package is a must if you really wanted to experience true BMW performance. Definitely consider snow tires if you live in wintery climate. This car is great HOWEVER I hope you make good money because you will need it... an oil change alone is $135.00. All I can say is it doesn't get serviced that often but when it does be prepared to shell out the cash. You are better off to have your "out of warranty" Beemer service at a reputable european car service center. back to performance it is 2nd to none.

handling with the M sport package

Cup holders and don't give me this BS that you are not suppose to drink coffee while driving a BMW.

2000 540i sport
By i006129

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

After five years of driving, the 540 with the sport package is the most fun car I have ever driven. The six speed manual is a necessity. That said, this is also the most delicate car I have ever driven. Lots of issues with sensors, water pump and radiator replacement etc. The radio is also less than stellar. Not even worth calling a stereo. I spend on average $1500-2000/year on maintenance and repairs. Part of this cost is getting the wheels repaired after hitting speed bumps too fast (sport package comes w/low profile tires and alloy wheels). I don't know if this is typical, but I'd suggest budgeting for higher than average repair costs. All that said, i'm still addicted to the drive.

the driving experience, auto dimming r/v mirror, interior

cup holders are CHEAP, fewer sensors to break,

Fun but costly
By shmeezil

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Most fun car to drive I've ever owned when it's running. In 9 months of ownership have spent over 2K on repairs. Best advice is to find a competent independent mechanic who specializes in Bimmers. Going to the dealership for repairs or routine maintenance is a very costly and time-consuming adventure. From a driver's perspective the car is awesome. Enough power off the line and especially when passing on the freeway over 60. The steering makes you feel like you're connected to the pavement. If you can afford the repairs and downtime, this is a fun car to drive.

Performance, handling, overall look of the vehicle

Better reliability