2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Keeps on giving
By clockgame on 08/14/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've put over 100k miles on my car and I still love it. I want to be cool and buy the new body style but I just can't justify it. The quality is great. It is a driving machine, this is no car.

Good Bad Ugly
By John D on 08/09/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. At 162000 miles the ride is still great albeit I have redone most of the suspension. Gas mileage on my six cylinder is around 25 with hiway city mix. Repairs have been astronomical. I understand putting money in the suspension, belts, etc but everything is expensive. The ugly. Electronic modules run everything and need to be replaced far too often. I would love to buy another of this design model but just could not afford it.

Dysfunctional Love/Hate Relationship
By Vinn on 05/24/09 12:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used/private sale as 3rd owner w/ approximately 60,000 miles. I absolutely loved to drive this car. Driving it out on the highway was a little slice of heaven. Great feel. Solid. But wait. In the two years I owned this car, I put roughly $6,000 into the car on repairs. I had to have it towed so often that I had my local towing company programmed into my cell phone. Repairs averaged $600 per hit. I finally had to throw in the towel when the last repair (something electrical) totaled over $1,200. Used the car as trade in for new Lexus. Have heard from my local BMW repair specialist that these cars often hit the wall at approximately 70 to 80 thousand miles. Beware.

The Best of the Best
By raiderddj on 04/09/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Owning a 528i with sport package puts a daily smile on my face. No other four door sedan has this classy appearance and exceptional feel for the road. Power is average but the sound and feel of the engine is second to none. Handling is superb as is braking. Creature comforts are excellent with the exception of the cheesy cup holders.

2000 BMW 528i car for rich people
By Andre on 02/05/09 21:27 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Very expensive to maintain. A lot of plastic details clips, houses, etc., in engine that needs to replace. Only rich people can afford to have this car serviced at dealership. You need to have 1K in your pocket all the time for unexpected maintenance. I would not take this car for a very long trip. Prepare to downtime. Do not buy it if you do not have a good mechanic you can trust.

MPG
By wmwider on 11/25/08 13:04 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have always gotten 23 to 29 mpg with this model 540i m sport. Great automobile, very fun and very fast.

Amazing to Drive - Extremely Unreliable
By DM on 11/23/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 540i for six years now and will be giving it to my son. It is a pleasure to drive and has very good safety features and can get 28 - 30 MPG cruising on the freeway at 75 MPH. As for reliability - lets just say a Ford Taurus is way better and much less expensive to repair. Even a GM car would have better reliability and that isn't saying much. For as much as I love the way the car drives, I can say I will never own another Bimmer. Looking forward to a Pontiac G8 GT

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo on 10/08/08 16:21 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

Stay with the E39
By Sim Simma Bimma on 06/10/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Ok, this is my second Bimma. 1st was an 84 325e that saved me a couple of times. I bought this 528i in 06 with only 35k miles on it. Only issues were the typical stuff that I had my dealership fix. The reason I am writing this review is to state that I just got 620 miles on 1 tank of gas. I am no "hiper-miler" but that's outstanding. That equated to 34 mpg. Just installed my own cd player and a sub. 10 speakers and still no bass. great thing is that my radio charges my bbery curve.

MPG
By Jan on 04/30/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Awful cup holders with AC blowing on them. Mine has 94,000 and just performs more gracefully with age. Recommend you absolutely find a local garage that you trust and you will save at least half of dealer repairs. My MPG indicates 5.9 miles per gallon (not, not on liter scale). But I seem to be getting about 16 MPG, which is not great. For first time this week, I used 89 instead of 91 at the pump and car is running beautifully.