Used 2019 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used XC90 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

After a great disappointment with LR Velar

Amarilis Riveron, 08/05/2018
T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

I owned 2013 MDX, overall I was very happy. Started looking for new car but I didn’t want to get the same MDX, they are planning to bring back a new one by 2020. So, started my research, I drove the Q7, Atlas, X5, RX, MKT. They are all good cars, all depends what are you looking for. I saw a Land Rover Velar and I fall in love, the futuristic layout interior and exterior was the breaking point, I WAS WRONG, after 3 weeks with the Velar, spent 2 with a Loner. Definitely something was wrong about the car. So I took a hard decision, need a new car now, I will loose money but is better than drive a car that you are not safe. I went back to my list and looked into the volvo xc90, there were mixed reviews but decided to get a test drive, the dealer was very nice and let me drive the car for a day, by the end of that day I had made my mind. I had now my volvo for 2 month, loved. There is not other brand that give you so many safety features for the money, and they actually work very well. The interior is one of the best in his class, sitting very confortable even for the third. Exterior is styling and unique, the ride is good, could be bumpy in some roads, but no far from his other competitor. I got the top trim. Love it.

Brand new and happy

W. Griffin, 12/12/2018
T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

The car is laid out nicely. The interior is comfortable and I'm a 6'4" guy. The seat adjustment allows me to be very comfortable. I was looking for a vehicle to down size from the 2004 Yukon Denali I have. I was really looking for a 6 cylinder to give me the power and also reduce the fuel cost. Though I wasn't sold on the 4 cylinder at first I gave the XC90 a chance. After reading the reviews on the the vehicle I was skeptical about the power, but after test driving on the highway in all the driving modes I didn't find any problem with the acceleration or power.The only comment I would have is that it doesn't roar like a high powered machine but it moves when asked to. If your looking for a race car don't by it. If your looking for one of the best SUV's in it's class go try one out. I've only had a week so I can't answer all of the questions in the survey but for me it beat out the Acura, Mercedes, Audi, and Infinity. Though each of them may have had a feature I really liked I picked the XC90 for the overall package.

Best vehicle I have ever bought

John Sturdevant, 01/01/2019
T8 Inscription Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Was I crazy to pay over $80k for a Volvo? Not at all, it’s absolutely the most incredible vehicle I have ever owned. So powerful, quiet and perfectly put together. Every detail is elegant and functional.

Gorgeous. Comfortable. Reliable. Quick.

Kayjaysr, 02/25/2019
T6 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. As they say, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." I'm 6'11", and the room in front and second row are fine for me. The seats are wonderful, and adjustments are wide so my wife (5'7") can get comfortable too. Sometimes I retreat to my car just to sit there... the seats are that good. I have a bad back, and they're therapeutic. The Bowers and Wilkins sound system is stunningly excellent. For a large-ish SUV, it handles well. I'm getting better than the EPA-predicted gas mileage (mostly running it on the "eco" setting). I get a lot of compliments from guests on the look of the exterior and interior. People who complain that the tablet-like center stack is not intuitive haven't tried very hard... I find it just fine. (One niggle: I don't like having to always turn off the default automatic ignition off/on feature). The pilot assist is almost magic... makes long trips a breeze. I've owned some great cars in my day... including most recently a loaded Audi A8L... but not one of them was as special or smile-producing as this XC90. Not even close.

Sadly disappointed...

Ryan, 12/16/2019

I bought a fully loaded XC90 T8 after seeing it at the auto show, primarily because of the 7 seats (for taking everyone in one car), the safety features, and the luxurious interior. I leased the car for 3 years with the intention of buying it after, but sadly after 24 months, I'm paying $5000 to CarMax to get out of my lease and have them take if off my hands. It's a bitter divorce because I do love all the reasons why I bought it. The Auto Pilot is awesome and I love the touch screen and especially love the Bowers & Wilkins audio. But the problems started soon after delivery with multiple service and Volvo On-Call lights coming on that required multiple service apts. Also, in the first year the air suspension went out and needed to be replaced. The second year, the rear transmission broke. It keep jolting the rear of the car like I ran over a huge pothole, but then I would look and there wasn't one. I didn't know what it was until several times that I tried to pull out into traffic and it lost power on me. I had to step on the gas hard to get the car to move. Then it leaked transmission fluid all over the garage. Volvo repaired it, and then it had to go back in 2 more times because they couldn't get the gasket fit correctly to stop the leaking. Upon the last time at Bob Smith Volvo in Calabasas, CA, the service department returned my car with a huge dent in the rear passenger door. Of course they took responsibility, but it took over 2 weeks for them to repair it. Volvo is good about giving you a current model Volvo as a courtesy car, and I've been able to drive every one of their different models. After driving the XC40 for several weeks (of course while paying a lease on a $90K car), I realized how bad the brakes are in the XC90 T8, they do require quite a bit of brake petal force in comparison to all the other cars. In the past 2 months, my XC90 has been in the service dept for 28 days! I can't take it anymore. I didn't want to believe Consumer Reports when they rated Volvo as terrible in Reliability, but they are not so wrong. I have never had more problems with any other vehicle I have ever owned. And It's not like I bought a cheap Volvo, in fact, just the opposite, I bought their best one, fully loaded. And now I understand why more people are not buying these cars. It's really sad and disappointing. I spent over $41K to drive this car for 24 months and now I can say for sure it was the worst car I have ever bought.