Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 260 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

So Far So Good
By DJ

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my car on July 30th in Minnesota, and drove it 350 miles over the weekend, and 900 miles back to Colorado yesterday. I'm coming off of a BWM 328xi lease, so this is a step back in many ways, but BMW is too expensive right now. They wanted $30k for a buyout! For less than $19k, so far I'm feeling really good. I got Black, and I like the exterior styling. With tinted windows, it's a sharp car. I also like the tan leatherette interior - nice contrast to the Black. The quality of the cabin is excellent. Performance is pretty darn close to my 328xi from 0 to about 40, but then it lags the BMW. And I miss 6 speeds. Overall, a solid car, but will it go in the snow?

Styling; performance; cabin quality; good entertainment center

How about a AWD Jetta?? Will FWD and traction control be OK in a Colorado winter?

Happy with recent pruchase
By MIchael

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had the vehicle for 1 week. Adverstised combined epa is 24 mpg. Dealership told me to expect to get a lot more. Took a roadtrip right away and foumd my highway mpg was 38 mpg (70 mph set on cruise). No Joke. I was shocked and thrilled. This is a regular 5 cylinder gas engine not the TDL. Seems to be a solid car with good looks. If reliability holds up I'll be very happy with my purchase.

Solid build, nice style and surprising gas mileage

None yet. I drove the car a few times before purchasing and it's what I expected

DSG trans slippage?I
By mark

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

light purchased car april 09,and really like the gas mileage esp. in town. Having problem with the DSG trans. slipping when on an incline. The trans. slips to neutral and the car starts to roll backwards for a few feet and then engages.Talked with dealer today and he said that was because the trans. goes to neutral at a stop. Offered no fix except possible software upgrade. Was wondering if any one else had same problem and what the fix was? Also added on a dimming mirror with homelink. This should be an option on sportwagon.

Mileage,Nav system,Panorama roof

radio control on steering wheel,auto dimming mirror

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

mpg, performance, comfort, looks

Auto headlight off

A lot to like
By Mike

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta in general closely approximates an entry level luxury sedan while being priced closer to more basic sedans. The TDI drive train provides tremendous performance with exceptional mileage (40+ mpg is easily obtained driving gently). At idle it sounds different than a gasoline engine but not objectionable. There is no diesel smell. Its acceleration and responsiveness are impressive. The trunk is large and easily accessible with a pass through for long objects. The cabin is comfortable for four. This car deserves to be very popular. I see no good reasons not to consider it if looking for a mid sized sedan.

Responsive drive train. Great mileage and range. Superior handling. Comfortable well appointed interior. Good sound system.

Something similar to GM's onstar might be nice but in general the car just works well.