Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Still in honeymoon phase
By Floridian

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have now had my tdi one year and 35,000 miles. Still drives like new. I do a lot of highway driving and it is too easy to drive way over the speed limit (85-90) while still getting 35-37 mpg. Queen size air mattress fits in back for the dog. No downshifts required when driving up 6% grade mountain highways. Torque just flattens out the mountain. Driven very conservatively, I have nearly hit 700 miles to a single tank of diesel.

torque, sunroof, invisible at high speed on the interstate

better quality paint. bug marks are much harder to remove on this car than my others. Have more performance type products available. There is a tdi race series, but virtually no performance mods offered through vw

TDI SportWagen is Amazing
By bam

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I now had my 2009 TDI Wagon a full year now and have 15k on it, so I thought I would share my experience. The car has been flawless and has had no service issues at all. Mileage has been great at mid 40's on the hwy and mid 30's in the city. If you are going 65mph cruising it will get over 50mpg. My usual tank avg. is 38-40mpg with 2/3 hwy miles. The car is fun to drive especially with the 6spd. manual. Started right up in 30 below zero overnight weather last winter, no problems at all.

Panoramic Sunroof, touchscreen audio and Nav system, USB media hub, great in the snow as well. Great power in almost all situations, fun!

Steering wheel audio controls please! Have sport appearance package with fog lights as an affordable factory installed option. Digital auto climate control on TDI should at least be an option.

What a GREAT car!!
By RoadKing

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Went from a 2001 BMW 540i 6 speed to this vehicle with NO REGRETS. Wasn't even looking at this vehicle but my wife saw one, we test drove, and bought one that the dealer had coming in. Very lucky too to get VW rebate, low interest financing, and the $1,300 gov't refund. Glad I listened to others and got 6 speed, sunroof, and 17" rims. Added fog lamps and tinted the windows. Car looks great, has typical German Engineering, is a BLAST to drive, and gets great mileage so far (with only 2,500 miles, I'm getting 36 daily city/freeway and got 43 highway on a recent trip). Love all the room in back the wagon creates, its been great for hauling two black labs. I highly recommend this car.

German Engineering, sunroof, radio, mileage.

Power driver's seat.

Great Car, Would recommend
By Neil

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The ratings I base on any car that's as fuel efficient as this one. Much more fun to drive than a hybrid, yet gets nearly the same mileage. Spacious, back seat fits adults, seats comfortable on a 1400 mile, three day trip. Be wary of the hype that the car will get over 50 mpg. Trying real hard I can get 45 - 46. Around town I've been getting much better than I'd guessed, 38 - 40. I have the manual and keep the car at 1500 rpms unless going uphill. Never needs to be at more than 2000 rpms unless in top gear, passing or entering a freeway. Averaging 70 mph you will be lucky to exceed 41 mpg. It's in the constant 50s and 60s that 46+mpg is possible.

mpg, performance, comfort, looks

Auto headlight off

Love this car!
By Gadgetklm

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded a 2005 Avalon Touring for a Sportswagon TDi. I got a good deal on my trade-in and $1300 tax CREDIT for buying a high mileage car! These cars are a little hard to find though. Routine Maintenance is covered for 3 years. I was looking for a car that I loved to drive. This feels like most other German engineered cars..tight, precise handling, good firm ride, and a unique driving experience. The last car I enjoyed driving this much was my CTS. This car broke the Guiness 48 state mileage world record..58.8mpg! Now you wont get this kind of mileage, expect 35-38 general driving, and 45-48 on the interstate. But this little turbo diesel is wonderful! Powerful, quiet and extremely efficient

Turbo Diesel..powerful, smooth and efficient. German engineering, handling, and ride. Nice body style, good sound system, many small nice features and touches.

Sun roof is too hot. Needs insulated cover, not a screen.