Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Best car I've ever owned!

rhett, 09/17/2007
GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had many Toyotas. I have had many VWs but this is the best car I've ever owned! It has never laid down, cranks everytime. It has 248,000 miles on original engine, clutch, even brake pads with 50% left. It has never had an alignment and drives as straight as an arrow. This TDI gets 47-50 miles to the gallon avg for the life of the car. I have only used synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. If you are thinking of buying one you should.

lots of miles, lots of fun

reclab1, 06/03/2009
GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

I love my little car!

Diesel Snob, 02/16/2009
GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this little car! My brother talked me into a TDI (he has a Jetta). I get better mpg than my buddy's Prius, and a better looking car. Build quality is excellent. Attention to detail inside is unreal compared to US/Japan cars, like the tiny sun visor above the rear-view mirror. Only problems I've had: plastic window clips loosened up, had to replace MAF sensor when I upgraded the turbo, which I did in an afternoon on my own. Other than oil and tires, it just keeps chugging along. I love the heated seats, a must with a TDI in the winter. I drove from Indy to Virginia on one tank! I love the look on people's faces when I tell them about my 49mpg in town.

Love the Golf

Rickss77, 11/29/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle. Fun to drive and great on gas. Looking forward to moving up to another VW.

Not Buying VW Again

orchid, 07/07/2006
GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

12345...12