Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A step up from 2004 in most respects
By chucktaylorr

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck all around. I stepped up from a 2004 PreRunner. Great engine, easy to maintain. Very comfortable for long trips and capable off-road. Composite bed limits the choices for aftermarket parts (lumber rack, some covers, some tool boxes, etc.) but is great for most hauling applications. This is our new "family" vehicle.

Styling, engine, rear locker, comfort, 6-speed manual transmission. Rear seat leans back more than the 04. LOTS of interior storage for a pickup.

Include a set of true tiedowns at the front of the bed. Better stereo. Optional front e-locker. Go back to a separate shifter for 4wd... the switch is a bit chintzy.

Randy's Blue X-Runner
By Randy

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am very impressed with the build quality and the design detail of the Tacoma. It seems that each time I look at the truck I notice more lines in the exterior design. One thing that I can not get over is the amount of attention I get in the Tacoma X-Runner. No matter where I go people come up and ask about the truck.

The performance and especially the handling of the x-runner are amazing. I have owned several sports cars that did not handle as well as the x-runner. The interior also gets kudos from me. I have just returned from a 1000 mile drive and felt very comfortable and rested.

The rear window in the access cab should open. It would be nice to have an automatic sliding rear window, and an optional sunroof.

Beware of Delphi Battery
By John

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck; however, the GM parts contribution of the Delphi battery spewed battery acid all over the inner fender and hood. $836 (warranty paid) and two weeks later (in a rental car, also warranty paid) the body shop is still trying to repair the damage. So, including the battery the total cost to repair is about $1306, or 8% of the purchase price. Other than that I love the truck and can't wait until I get it back. I suggest not taking delivery until the GM battery is changed out.

Handles extremly well. Just fun to drive.

Eliminate the Delphi battery, use a metal clutch pedal to eliminate the plastic or composite pedal squeking as it flexes under load.

05 Tacoma Off Road
By nickotto7

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have only had it a few months but all seems like expected so far. Have one small rattle from engine compartment which sounds like a loose heat shield that I am going to get fixed in a day or two. Comfortable interior, very little road noise, handles like a car. So far so good.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
By RON MEISLER

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All of the accolades about this truck are well deserved. I was waiting for a truck like this to hit the market for several years. I traded in my 1986 GMC pickup truck which I purchased new in 1986.

I like the handling, powerful acceleration and towing capacity in the mountains. I also like the riding comfort on the highway and interior of the cab.

Deeper drop down seats in the rear of the cab.