Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

THINK, ENERGIZER BUNNY!
By Mountain Man

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a repo that I purchased in 2004, with 50M miles. WOW! His loss ....my gain! Now, at 167K, this thing just keeps on going and going! The only major thing I've had to do was have the front shocks and struts replaced at about 120K. The ORIGINAL brakes lasted till 126K! Drive belts were changed at 131K. I live in the San Bernardino mountains, where it snows in the winter. I was thinking of getting a used 4x4 Taco, so I recently went on Craigslist but I just couldn't bring myself to part with this thing. It's just been SO good to me! If putting tire chains on for traction in the snow is the worst price I have to pay, then I consider myself lucky! I have General Grabber AT2 radial tires and they are amazing! Between these tires and the chains, the control in the snow is awesome! The display lights for the circulation and fan have recently gone out but not worth removing part of the dash for replacement. The biggest complaint I have is with the brakes. When driving down the mountain and I hit the brakes firmly, the whole truck vibrates. New brakes and having the rotors turned, made very little difference.

armageddon proof ! TACO
By Nicko

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Anything that I can tell you about this truck do not get even close to honors its 18 years of service, every single day I fall in love with my truck, enjoying the way it runs in the highway compared with newer models is just outstanding, after all these years of hard work, the look, the reliability and the economy it has no rival! it is a double cab! 4 Cyl this truck its just amazing, more likely I will die first and my TACO will keep running , see you on the other side TACO!!!!

Great Truck! True Toyota reliability
By Seth

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I still love my truck, even after 15 years! It's had few enough major problems to count on one hand: starter and the valve cover gaskets have been replaced. Other than that, it's just been routine maintenance. Oil/fluid changes, tires, shocks, etc. I would highly recommend a Tacoma to anyone looking for a reliable truck.

Edit: Still true!

Update 8/2017: Still true! No additional major problems that I didn't cause. I've needed to replace some steering components after hitting a curb sideways in the snow. Everything else is still golden.

230,000 mile report
By Dan sanchez

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck for 6 years. it has 230,000 miles and it still runs great. no big problems just had to change the cat converters. and the struts and rear shocks. kind of a stiff ride but it's a truck. mileage is ok. could be better. i love this truck and would recommend it to anyone.

Love the v6 and trd package look. off roading, optional

gas mileage.

Toyota man for life
By mike

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2001 and wanted the double cab for the room. The interior could use a little more comfort but it has held up. This truck now has 135,000 on it and it has been the most reliable truck that I have ever owned. Just do the normal preventative maintenance and I think this truck will last forever. I have had to replace the front headlights and signal lights because they became fogged out. This truck has the TRD package on it and people think it is a 4WD. Take care of this truck and it will take care of you.

Body style. TRD package look. Reliable