2020 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews

$29,490

Save as much as $4,587
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best long term mini-van on the market in the USA

Don, 09/19/2019
LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Sienna may not have as many features as some of the competition. However, for longevity and durability Honda or Chrysler don't even come close. The powertrain is far superior to any competitors and with regular maintenance a 200 or 300k life is attainable without major repairs. Having owned the Honda Odyssey and replacing two transmissions in 30k miles, never again. Sienna offers the most volume for a mini-van and a reasonable almost Lexus sedan ride. While I wouldn't rate it as high at the Lexus LS 460 that I own, it comes at a fraction of the price.

It doesn't matter what your friends say...

Van Haulen, 11/13/2019
XLE Premium 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I have lobbied my wife and kids for a van for years and they laughed at me every time. Recently, it was time to get a slightly used car again. It was down to a 4Runner or the (hated) Sienna. My wife took my younger daughter to do a second test drive after I acquiesced and told her to just get the 4Runner. Well, they loved the Sienna and we ended up buying a new one mainly because the depreciation is so slow on a Toyota we couldn't pass up one with 3 miles on it. Here's the deal: It's a Toyota which means only Honda owners know what similar quality is and that counts when friends see you driving a mini-van. It's luxurious inside and the feeling is unique-like a limousine. It is so roomy inside that everyone feels relaxed, unlike an SUV or sedan and will still haul an upright piano behind the third row passengers. It rides like a luxury car without the feeling of rollover, is really quiet and has very good visibility. The techno-weenie stuff like the WiFi network and hotspot, lane departure and cruise radar are nice along with the power rear vent windows controlled by the driver (emergency dog gas removal). Being able to watch streaming videos via WiFi from a phone (with unlimited data) on the back movie screen makes the trip fun for passengers. Gas mileage is over 20 city, partly because when you are floating along on your quiet little cloud of comfort called Sienna, you don't need to mash the gas pedal-you're too relaxed. Bob Ross would love this van. The beautiful leather interior is really nice even though the 2020 Sienna is a little dated. It is a toss up with the Honda but I see 300k miles down the road. BTW, other cars are a Tacoma and a G37, so I have the 3 vehicles I want. Update: after first 1,000 mile family road trip, it's 3 thumbs up. Close to 27 highway at 70-80 mph with a 20 gallon tank really gives a nice cruising range. UPDATE: We're at 25,000 miles now in 15 months. The van continues to please with the exception of the dated touch screen and a little bit of wind noise. I am glad I bought the last non-hybrid Sienna. The high-tech direct-injection engine is the best thing about the Sienna in the 2020 model and Toyota literally got rid of it. Can you say "New Coke" or "If it's not broken, don't fix it?" Hybrids are nice but I don't need one. It's flat here on the coast and our Sienna has tons of smooth, quiet power and literally gets almost 25 city and close to 30 highway (sometimes more) on regular gas without having to haul around hundreds of pounds of environmentally destructive batteries that reduce storage space. Besides, this gasoline engine will last 300,000 miles, which can't be said for the hybrid system. C'mon Toyota! Make the hybrid an option or at least pair it with this V6.

For my fam this is still no. 1

Mo G. , 09/09/2019
SE Premium 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Biggest cargo volume of all minivans. I do not think the SE Premium model looks cheap compared to the competition. I prefer its interior and feel it looks more refined. By far the best turning radius of almost any car, let alone a van!

Ad
Build Your Sienna
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 6 Trims

My covered pick-up

Tom S, 08/20/2020
XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Say what you will, the Sienna to me is a far superior choice to the SUV. While both vehicles can hold 8 people, I'll pack your luggage in the back of my Sienna, you can pack the box of tissues in the back of your SUV. I've owned both Sienna's and Odyssey's, and both have the advantages. By far, the Sienna has more storage in the back than the Odyssey, and little things like the hooks to hang your shopping bags in the Sienna are so helpful. Both vehicles are comfortable, (Odyssey gets a slight nod here for seat comfort, especially the middle row), and while the Sienna interior is a little dated, it is very functional and does what it needs to. The A/C system in the Sienna has the Odyssey beat hands down, it cools faster and it keeps the cabin temperature very level. In terms of safety features, both vehicles have Dynamic cruise control which automatically accelerates of slows down based on the vehicle in front of you. In addition, the Sienna, if you change the cruise speed from for example 55 to 40, will apply the brakes to slow you if you are doing 55. Blind spot monitors on both vehicles works the same, but the Lane Keep Assist on the Sienna might as well be labeled Lane Doesn't Assist. The Odyssey has the Sienna beat on that one. The Sienna will beep, but you might be half way in the next lane before it reacts, if it reacts. The Odyssey on the other had will gently steer the vehicle to keep it in the lane. Toyota really needs to work on that if it is to be a viable option in the Sienna. The Sienna has a MUCH tighter turning circle that the Odyssey, making it very easy to turn into tight spaces or if you need to make a U-turn on a road. One disappointment that I noted in the Sienna, I thought with both the Entunes apps which included weather and a couple of other apps won't work if you have your Iphone plugged in and Apple Car Play has loaded. I would like the ability to switch between the two, but unfortunately, if you wish to use one of the Entunes App, you have to unplug your Iphone from the USB. Engine seems to meet everything that I have needed, but it averages around 1 - 2 miles per gallon less that the Odyssey. One thing that I am very pleased with is the transmission compared to the Odyssey. It shifts smoothly and doesn't surge or hesitate the way my Odyssey did. According to Honda, this was "normal", but even the techs at the dealership told me they have constant complaints with the 9 speed transmission in the Odyssey. The Sienna drives very easily and it responsive. It handles cross winds fine and easy to maneuver both in traffic and on the open road. I chose the 2020 instead of waiting for the 2021 for several reasons. While my 2020 has arm rests on front and middle seats, the new middle console on the 2021 doesn't not have armrests and is non-adjustable. The second item is the middle row seats on the 2021 will not be able to be removed, whereas I can still do that in the 2020. They may be "bulky" but when you need the storage (helping kids move, etc) it is a great feature to me, hence my title, My covered pick-up. Lastly, the 2021 will only come with a 4 cylinder hybrid, which while I have had Toyota hybrids in the past, they were always coupled with the V6. I am apprehensive that the 2021 will have issues maintaining speed on the highway where the bulk of the work would be handled by the gas engine. Only time will tell.

pleased

Tom, 12/07/2019
LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

My son bought my 2017 Sienna XLE AWD. So I needed another van quickly. The AWD Siennas eat tires. It's because they are run flat type. There is no spare. Also I hated the leather seats in the summer. There was no seat cooling on the XLE, so beware. I would take a trip and come home and my back would be wet with sweat. So I opted for the LE with cloth seats. Very comfy. No AWD, so normal, cheaper to replace 17 inch tires.i got preferred equipment pkg which includes blind spot and rear cross traffic radar. I know that feature on my 2017 saved accidents, do I got it again. FWD only van accelerates noticeably faster than the AWD. Just very happy with my purchase.