Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 305 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Fast, sporty but small gas tank
By Rees Riddoch

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is fast and fun to drive! I get 24 high/city mpg combined. I am however disappointed with the size of the gas tank. I fill up like every week. I manage to drive 300 miles per tank. I try to coast and I try to drive slowly to maximize the most mpg that I possibly can. I wish the gas tank was bigger and then I would probably love this car more. I love the trunk space!!!! I can fit what ever was in my last trunk in my car in just the undercarriage of this car. I am leaning towards getting a hybrid camry which could get 450-500 miles per tank instead of 300 that the Rav 4 gets. Also the Rav 4 is loud on the highway and the radio is hard to hear and it isn't very clear either.

Toyota's compact SUV
By Patrick Linehan

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

check to make sure all the recalls have been done and make sure it doesn't use excessive amounts of oil because if it uses more than a quart in 1500 miles Toyota will repair it if it has less than 150.000 mi on it. One other thing if you hear any wheel noise it could need wheel bearings so you might want the dealer to repair that for you because that could get expensive.

Kiss my black RAV bye!!
By marc steig

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A very good car, versatile daily driver, weekend warrior-fold down the rear seats storage is great!! Sure footed traction in snow and slippery conditions. Over all a very good ownership experience.

Money Pit
By Lydia

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I didn't know until after I had already purchased the car that they were bad coils in the 2006. The coils blow on a regular basis. It is very expensive to repair, and the dealerships don't help you. I even contacted Toyota and they said it was my own problem not theirs.

Blown engine before 90,000 miles
By Jan Johnson

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from the dealership, new. They did all the service. This year, with car still under 90K miles, the engine blew. This car had never been abused. Oil and engine had been maintained on schedule. I'm a 63 year old female - no hard driving was taking place in this car. The car was taken in for all standard service points. Was driving back from the airport and heard this sound - sounded like a rod or something - and drove it straight to the dealer. Cost to repair - estimated at $6000 to $7000 or so, before repairs were made. I was not happy. After several conversions and an expression to the dealership about my lost faith in Toyota - I had hoped to own this car to over 200,000 miles or more - they eventually involved the factory. In all fairness, the factory ended up picking up all but about $1500 or so, which I paid. My faith in Toyota has been shaken significantly - I guess in 2006 there was still the legacy of the previous management regime and their lost focus on reliability. Beware.