Used 1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Little Trooper
By Corun B

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

HAd this car for 10 years and not one problem. I can't get over how reliable this thing is. I live in the mountains with annual snow and haven't been stuck once, it goes to hell and back and is the best car that I have ever owned. This is the only car you would ever need in your life.

Reliability, is fun to drive, great in snow. Awesome Gas mileage in this.

Just noise deadening other than that nothing.

A GOOD Buy
By Red

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This little SUV is just the thing for good basic transportation. It now has over 160,000 miles on it and I expect to go well over 200,000. It averages over 27mpg combined city/highway driving. It's nothing fancy but it always gets me where I want to go. Besides regular maintenance the only things replaced have been the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat. This would be a great first car for anyone.

Short turning radius, good gas mileage, inexpensive to own.

more cupholders

1996 RAV4 2 Door
By 1996 Toyota RAV4

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

Purchased my RAV4 as a tow car for large motorhome.I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow bar. Very easy to tow, fun to drive. 29 MPG, with 5 speed. Has front and back sun roof. Well built little car, serviced every 3000 miles, not one single problem. I like the cargo style door in back with fold down seats there is a nice storage area. It has 116,000 miles and is driven about 40 total miles each day to work. Blue paint still looks new. I will buy another one when this one wears out... however, I hope for another 100,000 miles.

Easy to tow, comfortable to drive, and very economical, good style

center arm rest would be nice and cruise control

The Best
By Anthony Dunn

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This RAV4 is the most reliable car I have ever seen. My parents purchased it new in 1996 and sold it to me in 2006. It now has 250,000 miles on it and will not die. It has had a couple of timing belts and a cat. converter and that is it. Everything works and the paint and interior have held up very well. It might be a little under powered but the that does not bother me. It is no wonder that Toyota is becoming the number one seller. The new one my parents bought in 2006 has 60,000 miles and zero problems be smart buy Toyota.

Everything

None

185K and Still Going!
By RAVLover

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I bought this new in 1997 and it now has 185,000 miles on it. The only repairs I had to do up until about 170,000 miles were brake jobs and I had to replace 2 A/C blower fan motors (about $50 each). I'm on my second set of tires with plenty of tread remaining. At 170,000 miles I replaced the A/C. At around 180,000 miles the timing belt finally broke so I went ahead and had new axles and new rear drums replaced while it was in the shop. Otherwise all I've done is change the oil every 3,000 miles. My daughter wants it and may give it to her but it's gonna be hard parting with it.

It has plenty of pep! A/C is cold! Radio has great sound! Turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents change!

Can't think of any. I bought it after my wife looked up the specs and it has more head room than the same year model 4Runner.