Used 2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

In the end we bought something else
By Mid-Mo Car Shopper

2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My husband and I are both 70. We are conservative, very conservative, and the idea of buying a high-mpg car usually drives our car searching. We were pretty sure we were going to go with a Prius and we narrowed it down to a Prius C Four or a Prius Three Touring. We wanted the amenities of leather seats and a navigation system. We were tired of allowing time to get lost every time we were going to a new location. We drove a Prius C Four first - it was bright yellow, which was probably not age-appropriate, but we liked it, except for one thing . . . the way the engine groaned when you needed it to climb a hill. We loved the car more than we had expected. Then we drove the Prius Three Touring and there wasn't anything about it we didn't like. The price difference between the two cars was about $4000. We were trying to drag out the shopping timeframe to guard against an impulse buying. Our sales person told us about his Prius Four Touring that he had just traded in the day before. It wasn't ready to test drive, but we looked at it and noticed it had the blind spot detectors. It was 3 months old and had less than 4000 miles on it. So the idea of that car was just hanging out on the "back burner" for a week or so. Another dealer let us take either of the cars we were interested in over the weekend. So we took a Prius C Three (they didn't have a four at that dealership) for the weekend. So on Saturday, we took the borrowed Prius C on an outting that took us to the dealership with the Yellow C Four and the Used Prius Four Touring. We drove that yellow car again, and still liked it. Then asked to drive the used Prius Four Touring. Our original salesman was off that day, and they were busy, so they let us drive the Four Touring without a salesperson in the car. We hardly drove off the lot before we looked at each other with eyes of super approval. When we got back to the dealership, the substitute salesperson was nowhere to be found. We waited about 20 minutes and then just left and took the borrowed Prius C back to the other dealership. I emailed the original salesperson and told him we wanted his Four Touring. And two days later we took it home. It still growls a little going up hills from a cold start, but not as much as the C did. In the end, it was the extra safety features that sold us on the car, . . . afterall, we're not as mentally sharp as we once were. :-(

Persona Prius C
By Ulyses Villasin

2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Persona Series Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car and reliable for city driving!!!!

Compare
By Edith Burris

2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Do your homework and use all the internet assistance. I was all prepared when I arrived at the dealer and had a pleasant experience.

Great car but not for shallow people.
By Ron R

2016 Toyota Prius c Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius C is built to save gas. Acceleration is slow even if you try and and gun it. It is adequate enough to speed up more than the average car in normal driving. In freeway entrance with two lanes, I'm more than 90% faster than other cars I assume driving normally and not racing me. The battery charging without the plug in, but by the combustion engine is adequate to lower MPG by assisting in acceleration and taking over the stop and go without turning the gas engine on. I've heard people complaining about the braking system. It doesn't take long to get used to it and enjoy the regenerative braking and see the animation of your batteries being charged. If you are childlike in terms of personality you'll probably hate and throw a tantrum, so don't buy it. For the thinking person, it's quite a joy to see how efficient the Prius C is. I see it more appealing to people who eat healthy and understand the importance of quality living and not the junk food crowd who are more into satisfying their hunger and feelings. The CVT continuous variable transmission is awesome. It's actually more efficient and quicker than the regular planetary automatic or manual transmission. The CVT does not have a pause power is constantly applied making it quicker. I heard that CVT was rejected by dumb consumers on regular cars because they wanted the feel of the inefficient of gear shifting. CVT was acutally conceptualized by Leonardo DaVinci in 1490 and was first patented in 1829 for a saw mill. First cat to patent is Daimler Benz in 1886. I got the Prius C one the most basic, for me the car is not for luxury or sport use, it's a way to save money. I got 2 Mercedes, a Ram Hemi, a BMW Z4 and Mini Cooper S for the fun, sport and luxury part of driving. For my cheap side, my family drives the technologically advance, and energy efficient Prius C. You can't help but love it.

Small car saves big
By JBMoorpark

I got this to be a commuter car. It's perfect for that, in my opinion. The gas mileage is through the roof. After 25,000 miles I average 52 mpg overall and higher under certain circumstances. It's not the quietest car but it's a lot quieter than my minivan. It's comfortable. The controls are easy and logical. The built-in USB support is really nice. Cargo space is tight if you have the back seats up but great if you fold them down. I really, really enjoy just tooling along in this car.