Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

Used Matrix for Sale
Select your model:
12345...15

Pros
Cons

Best car I ever bought for the money!

greg oloskey, 03/20/2016
XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

PLENTY of room, great gas mileage, extremely dependable! Nice looking.

Great Car!

dkadwell, 05/06/2011

We bought this car in 2007 with 6000 miles already on it. We were replacing our Hyundai Elantra which gave us nothing but problems. We love this car. It folds down flat very easily and we have hauled everything in it from trees to our daughter's complete nursery. We love it. It have never once given us an issue. It is a little tight with car seats, but still works for us at this point in our lives. It gets about 32/33 mpg city and closer to 36/37 highway. It has been great in these rising gas prices. We have about 104k miles on it and it is still running strong! Highly recommend this car if you want a little more than Sedan but don't don't need more than 5 seats!

Super reliable, sad to trade in for AWD car

cadyn, 07/17/2013

I bought by 2006 Matrix XR new and have loved every day of owning it. I've never had any mechanical problems, just kept up with regular oil changes (full synthetic) religiously and regular maintenance. Had a main computer issue in 2008/9, but was covered under warranty and was replaced. Fairly inexpensive upkeep. Excellent cargo space, much bigger inside than it seems! I've been able to fit bicycles, chairs, tables... (not all at once of course). Great for road trips, averages almost 30 mpg highway. Could have better lumbar support. Not great pickup when accelerating uphill, but no complaints. I love this car and am so sad to have to trade it in for an AWD vehicle for my mountainous terrain!

Good All Around Car

Landric, 04/25/2010

I bought this car new in 06. I traded my 02 Mazda Protege ES in on it when the Mazda had 115000 miles (trouble free). I got the automatic because I was living in a high traffic volume area where its less fun to drive a manual. I got the base model with power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise, etc. Its a great looking car with lots of interior space and a mostly well thought out interior. Ride is smooth, nice driving position, clear gauges, etc. I'm at 90k now & I need to trade it on a minivan because I can't fit a rear facing child seat behind me & still have enough space to drive (twins!). The throttle body went at 70K (covered by extended warranty) and the CD died at 80k.

i hate hub caps

dangading, 02/04/2010

I've had my Matrix going on 4 years now and although it's been really great, I have recently run into a couple of problems. For 1, it hasn't had hub caps for years! They fall off too easily. After reading this, I'm sure you'll see plenty of non xr models with no hubs. Also, the accelerators are cableless and if something goes wrong with it, you have to replace the whole system ($1000 for the part). Why not use cables? At least you can afford to fix it when it fails! Seems like planned obselescence to me.

Matrix AWD

Steve, 04/11/2008

This is my wife's car and she loves it. It is great around town, nimble, solid. She picked it mainly because of the hatchback and fold flat rear seats which are very nice. Great for golf clubs. Now has 25K miles and we did have a check engine light that required replacement of an oxygen sensor under warranty. One thing that I consider a defect was the factory tires. The front left tire wore on one side enough to require replacement after only 15K miles!!! Of course they wouldn't honor anything since they were not rotated every 5K miles. Replaced all 4 tires and had the front end aligned and it was very close to in specs so don't know what caused the tire wear.

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive

acf, 07/22/2010

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

No rear a/c and poor driveability

smezbryant, 05/22/2009

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

longest car ever owned

MWhite, 09/04/2018
XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The sheer reliability of this little car is the best reason to own it. We bought it in 2006 and just traded it in a few days ago. No major problems, low maintenance cost, it never let me down!

Converted my Base Model Matrix

Jimmy, 04/09/2017
4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car last year from an owner in Irvine, CA. It was bone stock, I didn't like the way it looked because it's a base model. The car did not come with rocker panels, rear bumper nor front bumper lip. I want to give a shoutout to Toyota for "prewiring" this car, meaning all modifications can be installed because there are wires hidden inside the chassis. You just have to find them. I was able to install OEM power mirrors, cruise control on my steering wheel, fog lights, and the 115v inverter. Really happy that finding parts was not a difficult task because the Matrix shares OEM parts with the Pontiac Vibe and the 9th gen Corollas. If you guys have any questions or want to know more about installations for this car, please join our "Toyota Matrix Enthusiasts/Owners page" on Facebook! Thanks for reading! 10/9/17, So here's an *UPDATE* on what I did to my Matrix. I replaced the stock suspension with lowering springs from Progress (drops 2.2 F and 2.2 R), bought a rear bumper with spoilers and rocker panels from a crashed XR, replaced the clear tail lights with the 03-04 OEM Red tail lights, OEM mudguards, and a Rhino Roof Rack. There's so much more I want to do on this car but I have to learn to save money before spending. Next installation: 03-04 XR front bumper.

12345...15