Used 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

Amazing vehicle!
By Chris

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

My rig has over 340k miles on it. The only things that have given out were the little light indicating I'm in drive, the cable to raise the antenna, starter, rear door struts and alternator. All these were not a problem until after 250k miles. It's still going strong! Only issue is bad fuel economy. This vehicle in diesel would be perfect. The rock crawling capabilities for a luxury SUV are unbelievable and my wife loves the luxury part. It laughs at snow and ice with the right tires. I have packed 8 into it and, although a tight squeeze, everyone was comfy enough for a short off-road excursion. I also love its looks, more than the current version, so that's a plus (except for the fact I don't want a new model because of the looks). One problem for the first half of 2000 was a stupid design in the motor (that they fixed for the second half) that makes repairs more difficult and costly. I can't remember if it was for the alternator or starter. But what a rig!

16 years and still 100% reliable
By Uffdaphil

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I spent months searching for the right W. Texas truck for our MN winters. My 2000 LC had the best Carfax record with timely mainainence and the timing belt just replaced. Driving back from El Paso with the cruise set at 90 it felt as safe as other vehicles at 70. In the five years since, besides normal replacement parts, zero problems. During the worst blizzard in years I rescued a friend stuck in 3' snow before the streets were plowed. With regular all-season tires! 115K miles now and no rattles. Doors still have that satisfying "thunk." The heater is the best I've experienced. My only complaint: The radio sound quality is awful. But I like quiet so will not upgrade. I love that it is wide, but not long. Much easier to park than my full size pickup. My next will be a 2009-10 LC when the depreciate to my budget.

16 years of stellar reliability and value.
By Edsel

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Land Cruiser new in 2000. It is still giving me near flawless service 16 years later. Beyond routine servicing; tires, gas oil, timing belt, coolant - it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned in 45 years. I've owned BMW's, Jaguars, Lexus' nothing comes close to this Land Cruiser.

Edit: (05/31/2017) I traded the Land Cruiser in for a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. My LC had too much rust on frame cross members, component brackets and trailer hitch assembly to be used reliably everyday. This Cruiser had some of the same rust problems the infamous Toyota Tacoma had of the same era but without Toyota's generous trade-in/repair recall program. I miss my Land Cruiser everyday but I wasn't about to surrender $80k for a new one. After first owning a new 1991 FJ80 and then a new 100 series Land Cruiser it's really hard to adapt to a Grand Cherokee. I'm very tall so my choices for a new 4x4 utility vehicle were almost non-existent. The Jeep GC became my compromise purchase.

The Old Reliable
By mwhitted

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now owned my 2000 LC for 7 years; I bought it used with 54K miles. It now has 160K and still runs like the day I bought it. It does get only 16-17MPG tops, but gas mileage is not why I purchased. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned; it's solid, it's safe. I just picked up today from having routine maintenance; my mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it! Change the timing belt every 60K, change the oil every 4K, do a tune up every 75K, use Michelin's and they will drive forever. I have a friend with the same model with >300K and it still runs great! I have driven the Appalachians to the Tetons, on road, extreme off road and it has never let me down! Mine forever!

Reliability, off road handling and performance, on road comfort

Great vehicle
By caribouowl

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the LC new in 2000 after owning and being disappointed with the quality of Chevy's for years. I did quite a bit of research and everything pointed to the LC for reliability and ruggedness. It has lived up to its reputation. I've used it for long trips, hauling stuff, going off road in the national forest in northern Minnesota, driving in heavy snow, etc. It is reliable and, after 10 years, runs like new. Have gotten 60K on the Michelin tires.

Interior design, comfort, lots of window space with great visibility, reliability.

Spare tire not easy to access and jack/wrench kit is nearly impossible to re-install once it is taken out.