Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota Camry Best
By Vu

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

1997 Camry best year , i got no problem , what so ever , all i do regular on time changes oil , car mainaint , never brake down .

Old Reliable!
By Pete Barrett

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I’m on my second Camry. I’d still be driving the first one (‘92 w/299k) if my daughter hadn’t rear ended someone with it. My current Camry is a ‘97 with the 4 cylinder engine; has 211k on it. What a machine! Here’s the things to know about these cars. You WILL be replacing the door handles. You must change the oil regularly, swap out brakes, batteries, tires, the usual stuff. My first Camry needed the rear strut bushings replaced (I’m told this is common; listen for the rear end to making bumping noises at speed). Don’t replace the struts; replace just the BUSHINGS. I replaced the radiators on both of the Camrys; easy job. Perhaps this would have been avoided with regular flushing by the previous owners. On the newer Camry I’ve also replaced the alternator. AC units can be a bit touchy; my first one had to be replaced ($1,400); my second one has made slightly weird noises for the 2 years I’ve had it, but the AC works fine. Leaving that one alone. I also had brake lines rust thru right under the drivers seat on the ‘97. Again I’m told this is not uncommon. Cost very little to replace. Parts are as cheap as can be for these cars, as is maintenance. Haven’t heard of a trans going; I have heard of engines being blown, but that could be a lot of things. Keep up on swapping out the timing belt! Don’t let it overheat!!
(BTW, these cars ride and feel more solid and heavy than they really are. Plus they are like mountain goats in snow).
With these basic tips, and buying wisely out of the gate, you will drive these cars until you can’t stand them anymore. They will be handed down to at least three family members...assuming your daughter doesn’t rear end anybody!

I didnt get a lemon, no Sir
By Rudy L

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 6 cylinder camry in 1999 with 57000 miles I still have it unbelievable 258000 miles on it now it runs like the day I bought it I have the timing belt changed when its required and change the oil when required other than that I literally cant believe how smooth it runs this car has been a blessing Iam keeping it I also had it painted the original white very clean car lots of compliments cant say enough about this car Iam amazed Iam afraid if I sell it and buy another car I might get a lemon Iam keeping it.

Best Car I've ever owned!
By Gary

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Camry new in '97 and it is still going strong today (2016). The only issues I have had was to replace the spark plug wires at 110,000 miles, up until that time I still had the original wires. The intermittent wiper control bar malfunctioned at around 105,000 miles, so I replaced it. The paint on both side mirrors began to peel off, so I had to repaint them. My driver side inside door latch broke, so I had to replace it. Other than those minor issues I have not had any problems other than normal maintenance. It still runs like new at 120,000 miles. I plan on keeping this car until it falls apart, but I don't see that happening. I am retired now and don't do a lot of driving so I know it will last longer than I will. I love my Camry!

Old Reliable!!!
By D. Hill

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003 and still have it today. It had 51,000 miles when I bought it and it now has 290,000 miles. It has been in a few accidents, the body it beat up but the engine is a diamond. No noise and run perfectly. Door handles broke off, inside and out. Old Reliable still has more life let in it. I'm keeping this car forever, until the wheels falls off. This car will give you your money's worth. Low maintenance costs in the 13 years I've had this car.