2018 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Will never buy an American car again
By Jonathan Adams

2018 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had a beautiful SHO, but once I hit 100k miles it went down hill. The last 18k miles it spent more time in the shop than in my driveway. I have had 2 other Toyotas that last past 280k miles. I will be a Toyota driver from now on

Navigation system is not the best
By Thomas Duncan

2018 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The navigation system is very hard to see when in night mode. The symbol showing your present location and direction is somewhat confusing in daytime but nearly impossible to see at night because the color does not stand out from the dark background. Also in night mode if you zoom in to see city streets, the streets are so faint they are very difficult to see. Also, the current position indicator will hang up briefly at times and then jump forward.

Retired and looking for value
By Rafael Andre

2018 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We are now retired and were not looking to get into a car and pay +$30K. We feel we got a great value with a 2018 Toy Avalon with 14K miles for $22K. It does not have all the bells and whistles but it is a reliable Toyota brand while still being a great looking vehicle.

Lots to like but I expected more
By Ben

2018 Toyota Avalon XLE Plus 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I usually buy Honda Accord but decided to try an Avalon. Reasons - No V6 available in the 2018 Accord and I did not want to buy a first year V4 Turbo. And was afraid of Turbo lag - which I would absolutely hate. Also, Toyota was running some pretty deep discounts off sticker and to my surprise offered me as much for my trade as I would have advertised it for sale. I also compared GV weight between the two and found the Avalon several hundred pounds heavier. And I like the idea of having more steel around me in a crash. I figured I would pay for it in mpg. Not so as I could not be more pleased with the Avalon fuel economy. First long trip the worst was 33.1 and best was 34.7 mpg. And I was running the AC all the time and going about 75 on the freeway. Who could ask for more? Strange but I have no idea which model Avalon I purchased. The State Farm agent could not tell from the VIN so he called the dealer. Turned out they didn’t know either. All I know is that there is no moon roof, there are floor lights that spell out Avalon and NO compass at all. I really hate that as I don’t mess with Smart phones and I like to know what direction I’m going at all times. Also, I think the dashboard controls are cumbersome and not at all intuitive. And I have NO interest in reading a new car manual that’s as big as the family Bible and much harder to understand. Bottom line, the car is comfortable, sips gas, has great acceleration, has a soft quiet ride and was surprisingly affordable. I hope it has long term dependability like a Honda because I like to keep my cars for at least 150,000 miles.

Decent car but several substandard parts
By Steve Meyer

2018 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car has a comfortable ride but for Toyota’s top sedan it’s really a disappointment. After just 6500 miles the front seat is excessively worn and plastic parts show there poor quality