Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

The best car I've ever owned!
By snowwie

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2008 Toyota Avalon is the best value car in its class.
The ride is very smooth & quiet.
I've test drove the Lexus GS before I test drove the avalon and I could not tell the difference in performance.
The avalon has more cabin space at lower price

Very smooth & quiet engine with great MPG for a V6. The seats are very confortable

The trunk will open when the button is pressed while moving. This needs to be corrected.

2008 Avalon Limited not perfect
By patrick59

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an '08 Avalon Limited with 28,000 miles on it four months ago. So far, I'm only somewhat satisfied. Unfortunately, the dashboard rattled and squeaked as if it had 180,000 miles, although I didn't notice that when I test drove it. I had to jam coins down the sides of the dash where it meets the windshield columns in order to tighten it up. The workmanship of the assembly is poor. Also, the front seats would not heat or cool, but the dealer fixed that problem before I took posession. I like the bluetooth connectivity, but the sound of the phone only comes out of one speaker and it distorts pretty badly if you turn it up enough to hear the other person at highway speeds.

However, it does handle pretty well, has good acceleration, and is fairly quiet inside now that I've gotten some of the squeaks out of it. Wind and road noise are minimal. The seats are supportive and it's generally very comfortable on a long trips which I've now done many times. The audio system sounds very good and is easy to use, as are the other controls, which are arranged pretty thoughtfully. The gas mileage seems to be good, but I really don't know exactly because the trip computer is pretty useless due to the total lack of thought in the way it's designed.

The trip computer can't be reset at will by the driver. It resets itself whenever you put gas in the tank. So, you can't clock your average mileage for prolonged intervals. Also, you can't isolate highway mileage only. I get gas and then head to the turnpike. 25 miles down the road, the average is still slowly climbing because it's factoring in the idling and red lights getting to the highway. I've never had a car that doesn't let the driver reset the mpg. WHAT is Toyota thinking? Worse, the trip timer resets every time you turn off the engine. So much for clocking your driving time on a long trip. Don't make any pitstops unless you write down the elapsed times and add it all up. Useless.

This one I like
By Per

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Intended to buy a Camry from 2001 ended up with Avalon Touring. Already at test driving the car, it had similar features as my Volvo V70. A nice smooth ride. After only one week of driving, I have found the MPG (Vs. listed on websites) much better. So far I have been averaging 28.7 in combined city and highway driving! This is not from the dash-info, but personal log. All features working perfectly. Never thought I would become a Toyota owner, I am happy with this one!!

Dual heated seats along with dual air zones. Great MPG. Good combination of low/high-beam. Reclined rear seats. Good ground clearance.

Can't improve an old car...... ;-)

Warning on Toyota Period
By d. smith

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Avalon. I have enjoyed the comfort and mileage and I thought quality to this point. This model the 08 was involved in the acceleration recall and computer adjustment. But just this past week the light all of a sudden went totally out! Upon investigation it's the classic HID light problem that is so abundant on the Prius. Apparently Toyota is well aware of the problem and the critical safety issues involved if you go to consumer reports, NHTSA, etc you may well be surprised of the cost involved with the HID light problems w/ avalons and most notably the Prius. This is a definite safety issue as the lights will fail with no warning. Very expensive repair stay away from them

Solid
By the rock

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the demo with 8k miles on it for mama. She is completely satisfied and so am I. 33 mpg on the highway if you can believe that. That overall has been the most pleasant surprise. Considered the Lexus but why pay 10-15k more? This has all the features without the increase in price. The 08 is sleeker than the 11 and looks sharper.

MPG, ride and acceleration. Blizzard pearl gives it that black coat and tie look. The AC in the seats make your bottom feel like Noxzema has been applied.

Tires are about ready to be replaced at 30k miles. Make sure you get a high speed alignment at 30k miles to keep that ride smooth. Idles within OEM parameters but is not super super smooth.