2021 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

$36,765

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Honda Pilot Convert. 4Runner is Better

J Bradley, 04/29/2021
Venture Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD on a new 21' 4Runner Venture. The Honda had been replete with mechanical and quality control issues since the day we bought it new. It was approaching the end of its factory warranty. We also have a Toyota Land Cruiser, so we know what Toyota reliability is. We really tried to love the Pilot for its room, fuel economy, road manners and crisp handling. But, the reliability was terrible. During the first 90 days, it spent 30 days at the dealership while most of the rear suspension was replaced. That's just the beginning... but enough about the Pilot. Suffice to say it was one of the least reliable cars we've owned. The 4Runner is a lot things, but one thing it isn't is highly-refined. It's a bit rough around the edges like any super-tough vehicle. It's a Tacoma pickup truck underneath and it acts like a truck because it IS a truck. Know that going in. The mileage isn't great, we have averaged 18.1 over the 4k miles we've owned it. There's nothing really aerodynamic about it. The on-road tech is a generation behind the current state-of-the-art. All this considered, the 4Runner is probably my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Reasons: I don't have to baby it - it's just tough - and I am longer no longer trying to tune-in to every sound the vehicle makes for fear that something else might be going wrong that could strand us. The build quality is superb. The materials are excellent and made to last for decades. The body style is great (yes, it's dated, but still turns heads everywhere I go). The 4WD system is manual and bulletproof. Lots of people complain that it only has a 5 speed transmission. It's bulletproof too. I'd take it any day over the 9 speed Honda transmission in our Pilot that has a high failure rate. Our Venture edition has the same off-road tech that the Land Cruiser has - and - that's really handy when/if you need it (we live in a remote area where lots of our roads aren't paved and are hilly and a total mess when wet). In the Venture edition, you get lots of TRD tech, but you also get standard SUV tires (M&S) which are plenty good for 90% of the casual off-road driving that most people do, yet ride super-nicely on the interstate and are quiet. Overall, the 4Runner is just rock solid, built to last for hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal repairs or hassles. You just know that wherever you're going, you're going to get there and back. Whether your vehicle is up to the task, or if it will fail mechanically during a trip, becomes the least of your worries and you can relax and enjoy the drive, with confidence and peace of mind. There is nothing I regret about trading the Pilot for the 4Runner. The cost benefit in the Honda's better MPG would be deleted completely with the cost of 1 transmission or 1 fuel injection system (both fail on Gen 3 Pilots). Our 4Runner give every indication that it will with us for years and years. Keep up the good work Toyota and I truly hope that if you ever update the 4Runner, it won't be at the expense of the decreasing the 4Runner's incredible reliability and longevity, along with the many other things which make it the workhorse it is.

Love the new 4runner

Donna S, 12/09/2020
TRD OFF-ROAD 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota 4Runner and I have to say I am very impressed with the TRD Off Road Premium edition, I love the Magnetic gray metallic and the interior is wonderful I love everything about it bumper to bumper and the 4 wheel is great also defiantly has a lot of traction, Haven't even had it a week and almost 1000 miles already I usually travel 5000 miles a month, so I am really going to enjoy this as a day driver.

Great, for what it's intended to do.

Woodsman, 10/25/2020
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you plan to spend much more time on the highway than in the woods with your 4Runner, the Limited is the model to get. More amenities, and a slightly more roadworthy ride. Commanding driving position gives you a feeling of confidence behind the wheel. Just keep in mind this is still an old-school truck, albeit with modern safety and electronic technology, disguised as an SUV. Personally, I find comfort in that. This is my second 4Runner, and I've found both to be flawless in engineering and manufacture. Drivetrain is bulletproof, and fit and finish are excellent. With the exception of electronic upgrades, Toyota has been building this same vehicle for a dozen years now. They've had plenty of time to get it right, and they did. UPDATE AT 7,500 MILES: Still waiting for something to go wrong. Not a single problem yet. Average MPG at 18.2.

Ad
Build Your 4Runner
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 9 Trims
Build and Pricetoyota.com
Prototype shown with options using visual effects.

Fantastic! Toyota converted!

DesertGirl, 11/10/2020
TRD OFF-ROAD 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Jeep products in the last 9 years and wasn’t really looking to take the leap to a Toyota. As soon as I sat in the 4Runner Off Road I was sold! I love the height, the clean lines, aggressive look and ruggedness! I know there are a lot of complaints about the interior but I like the fit and finish of the dash, simple, clean, understated, I like the variety of surfaces with dimpling on the dash and the carbon fiber on the console. The control center is fabulous and looks good, controls are easy to access! My 2021 4Runner has everything I need! The ride is comfortable and not abusive and I have no complaints! It’s better than my prior two Jeeps! Enjoying this new ride! Looking forward to a new adventure in my 4Runner!

Great Off Road, not an Explorer on the Highway.

Bernie Lu, 11/01/2020
TRD OFF-ROAD 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the 2021 TRD Off-Road Premium. definitely an old school off road machine. Initially wanted a 4x4 explored but because the 21's aren't out and the 2020's are a mess we went with a vehicle I've wanted for years but have always been a bit more practical. Engine lists as being 270HP, the get up and go is great. something to do with the 3.73 rear. Seems like more power than listed . Now the good part, was 15K less than the Explorer we looked at. Happy Trail...