Used 2010 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4Runner 4Me
By Stuart Lewis

2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I actually currently own three (3) 4Runners: a 2005 Limited, a 2010 Limited and a 2010 SR5. I drive the 2010 Limited and my wife and youngest daughter drive the other ones. We all love sitting up high and being able to see over other traffic. The gas mileage is poor, compared to a sedan like a Camry, for example. But we were working for a living at the time and had money coming in to pay for the gas. Now that my wife and I are both retired, we're not putting as many miles on the vehicles as we used to so we're not buying as much gas. So we figure we can afford the poor gas mileage in return for still driving an SUV. I like the cargo hauling capability, both inside the vehicle itself as well as the towing capability to pull my cargo trailer if and when needed. The horn on the 2010 Limited is puny, but other than that, I love it. I have over 165,000 miles on my 2010 Limited; the 2005 Limited has over 225,000 miles on it; and they are all still going strong.

Son? Where's the Tranny Dipstick
By Neko

2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Oh dad there's no dipstick, that's old school stuff. I got 160k miles on it and I don't even need to change the tranny oil.
" What?! that is krazy son I need to make sure you got enough tranny oil I'm pulling all this gear for the past 1k miles and and I have another 2k miles to go. And why don't you change the tranny oil?"

Unbelievable, I taught my son how to do his own maintenance and he doesn't even do a tranny drain and fill. This is the first time I drove this vehicle. It runs beautifully, towing 3000lbs of equipment to New York from Washington state to assist my son, to deliver his truck and some equipment for a job he was completing and he had to fly ahead due to time restraints on his other projects. I had a month to enjoy the beautiful scenery and a chance to drive this 4runner that he often raves about. He rambled how nice it drove when he first bought it, how tough it was compared to my Chevy, how a body on frame was durable enough to conquer the mountains of Colorado, the heat in Texas, and the sands and dunes of Baja California. I don't know none of those things, but I do know this tiny engine V6 was adequate to tow the trailer, gets 17mpg and tiny fuel tank of 24 gallons or less since im always fueling this beast, but it does run silky smooth for 3k plus miles. I took some detours like Vegas, Detroit, Houston, and Orlando to visit friends and family. In Florida, one of my best friends allowed me to change the tranny fluid in his garage and we both laughed how complicated it was since we had to use measuring cups and pumps and funnels and buy metric tools since we just don't own anything requiring metric tools...tranny oil was pitch black. We just shook our heads. Special Toyota tranny oil we had to purchase as well. Drain and Fill required a little less than 4.5 quarts. Everything else on the truck needed nothing since my son must have completed them, so proud of him.
I completed my journey finally with a smile on my face. I understand why Toyota 4runner owners spoke proudly of their rigs. They run like champs and this Limited edition was very very comfortable with all those gadgets that I learned how to use with the owners manual. I didn't know it was an AWD version, no wonder it navigates so smoothly on pack snow in New York. I'm behind the times I admit.

RUSTING FRAME!
By RUSTY TOYOTA

2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle because it rated high, even though it cost more money than competitor models. Reliability is worth it to me. HOWEVER, the frame started having significant rust after just a few years and was causing some expensive repairs. Fire shield rusted off and was removed. Now the massive skid plate bracket rusted off. Toyota service just removed the entire unrepairable skid plate due to the level of rust. There is nothing left to attach to. The mechanics said they were afraid to scrape or chip any more rust because they were afraid that other stuff would fall of and make the vehicle even more unsafe to drive. They indicated that this is absolutely excessive rust on the frame that should not happen. Their official Toyota Repair Estimate to fix the rusting, failing frame and make it safe again is $17,783.71 which is half the value of a brand new vehicle!!!!! Toyota Corporate said, sorry, we have recalled many other rusting frames on our other models because they should not have rusted they way that have, but unfortunately for you, we will not stand behind your 4Runner that you paid $34,000 for. I am told that it is the same frame as some of the other recalled models. The Toyota Corporation tried to comfort me by ensuring me that they logged my case will contact me via First Class mail if they ever do decide to stand behind their product and make good on my $18,000 pile of useless rust.

4Runner...Always solid...always dependable
By mjmotto

2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great value, rugged, solidly built and low maintenance costs. Solid towing platform. Only issue has been the front transfer case electronics which required replacement (a $1.500 repair) at 115K miles. Resale has consistently been high.

The Best of All my Auto's
By Rod Munch

2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I know Japanese auto's are somewhat pricey. At 52 yrs old I've had my share of the good the bad and the ugly. Including corvette's, compact cars and others suv's. But without a doubt my favorite automobile is my 2010 Limited 4-Runner. It checks all the boxes that I've come across. Looks, Styling, Value , Comfortability . My only problem is gas mileage combined 16 M.P.G.. Overall this automobile is my best of the best.