Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

Used 4Runner for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...20

Pros
Cons

Most favorite vehicle I have had-14 years and counting.

4runney98, 10/04/2011
SR5 4dr SUV

I bought this 4runner new and just hated the 33K plus change sticker but have never regretted the purchase. It has around 114K miles and is just as tight as it was the day I bought it. It is easy to drive and I think the perfect size and does everything well. I can tow, take a trip, or buzz around town comfortably. It just feels like it will run for ever. I considered a new 4runner 2010 or newer but after reading the reviews on Edmunds have decided to keep what I've got. Newer models do not have the quality of other generations. If you can find one of these in good condition-buy it.

Good, Dependable SUV

RSL, 12/01/2006
SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in August 1998 and have put over 113,000 miles on it since then. Overall, it has been a reliable SUV. The fit and finish are still excellent after 8 years of ownership. Mechanically, the car has been virtually maintenance free. My only significant complaints are the stereo and the power antenna. I had the stereo replaced 3 separate times. The power antenna was replaced twice. Gas mileage averages about 15 in the city and 20 on the highway. Power is only adequate. I still get compliments on this vehicle 8+ years later. The paint and overall look still is appealing. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a highly reliable SUV.

I miss it

joetyler69, 06/18/2011
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I had my 4runner for a little over a year, and i just recently lost it to a telephone pole... this car was great to me. it was powerful, fun and east to drive. i didnt have one complaint. it even saved my life in the wreck. i put a new meaning to wrapping a car around a telephone pole. the highway patrol declared me dead as soon as they arrived cause they didnt believe anyone could have survived anything like that. but the 4runner saved me. i was trapped and had to wait to be cut out of the car, but i will always be grateful i wrecked in that car. cause nothing else could have protected me like it did

Best Used SUV Ever

Dreux, 12/27/2015
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 98 Limited at a dealer, but it was a one owner rig and the previous owner clearly took care of it. As with any used vehicle, you've got to put 'some' money into it for repairs. Mine had 244k miles when I bought it, and I immediately replaced engine oil, had a transmission flush, front brakes resurfaced, and had new steering rack bushings put on it. Not cheap for sure, but considering the deal I got on the purchase price, even AFTER the repairs I still considered myself ahead of the game. I've since put 15k+ miles on it, and it runs like a champ. I'd not been the kind of guy to fall in love with a car...but I freakin' love this thing and plan on keeping it in tip top shape forever. Put in the time to find the right one, and have it inspected, and these rigs will go forever.

Over 400,000

Roman, 08/28/2010
SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I finally gave up my 1998 4Runner this week. I had 433,000 miles on the car and drove it for 10 years. This was one reliable vehicle. I traded it in for a 2006 4Runner limited with a V8. I don't expect it to last as long but I hope to get 10 good years out of the car.

12345...20