Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

When is leather not leather?
By Wil12345

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this car for about a year and a half. It rides well, drives well and has been reliable. Only two complaints. Windshield is very poor quality and breaks with the slightest touch of a pebble. Leather interior is mostly vinyl. After a small tear, I found that the only part of the seat that is leather is the small section in the middle of the seat surface. The entire rest of the seats including the bolsters on the seat surface are made of vinyl. No happy about paying for leather and not even getting full leather seating surfaces! Contacted Subaru and they told me that customers like vinyl better. Sounds like a way for Subaru to save money!

Very reliable, drives well and good in the snow

Enlarge the gas tank, improve the quality of the glass, don't charge for leather and provide vinyl!

Won't get me again
By Rich

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I usually don't write any reviews, but this car is so bad, I thought I owed you (the reader) some advice. Don't buy this car. We bought ours new, and the engine eats oil. Dealer said the engine was 'breaking in'. I am now at 20k on the car, and it eats 1.5 to 2 qts per 1000 miles. Dealer will not help. Also, the A/C is weak. It is barely ok for the front, but on a 5 passenger, there is no rear air. My kids hate it, always hot. Numb steering, brakes fade easily, 'manual' shift is poor when upshifting, interior clunks and rattles like a 30 year old Ford. There is lots of room for improvement, here. Once bitten, twice shy. There, I warned you.

AWD is nice, but you are lucky to get 20mpg highway; styling is so bland, you are invisible to cops, but sadly, also invisible to cute girls.

Key/remote has range of 10 feet or less, driver seat makes my rear numb on roadtrips, very small gas tank (17 or 18 gal) only about 220 miles per tank. Flat 6 engine is a poor design, oil basically sits in cylinder, and gets burned off. 18" wheels brings lots of road noise.

Did not meet expecations
By Briofny

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car in April of 08, and just hit 27k miles. Small gas tank, but mileage not bad for an SUV. The fit of the interior of the car is disappointing, loose pieces every where, & the rear hatch is not designed to strategically close when packing. Also, what is the point of the rear blower if I can't control it from the front, my kids cant reach it. The look of the car is great, but I can't justify the looks versus the quality I expect for the prices. A+ on the handling and engine (although Subaru wants me to change the tranny fluid already)! C on interior quality and pointing out as another post did, who scans on the radio any more, let me change my presets from the steering wheel

All Wheel Drive in the North East is key! 23 MPG highway, good acceleration. Sliding second seat with recline.

The radio needs improvement. No reason why in 2009, this isn't a quality design. Rear hatch should be designed to indicate where it will close inside the vehicle. If so, one would know where the limit of packing ends.

Energy Drain
By Overland Park, KS

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything about this car - except two issues that I've had. I have a "phantom" energy drain that leaves me stranded due to a dead battery. It's random, unpredictable and frustrating. I also have had to have the power steering fixed twice - they actually needed to put a new pump (?), regardless, at such low mileage I'm surprised.

I love the interior of this car. The dashboard is beautiful and I think it has more features/gauges/lights and style than the other two cars I looked at, Cadillac SRX and Lincoln MKX.

Go back to the funky, stylish little round headlights. I liked the old look better. The new headlights look like every other car. It used to look more high tech.

Loss of confidence
By Phil in Blaine

2008 Subaru Tribeca SUV 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased our Tribeca about 18 months ago, and rated it very high. All of that has changed after being stranded 3 times and numerous trips to the dealer who can't or won't resolve the problems. From the beginning there has been a noise in the engine that the dealer and factory reps hear but can't pinpoint, so it goes unrepaired, also it burns oil but not enough to meet their oil consumption criteria. The steering column locks up, and has stranded us three times, you have to beat and bang on the column to unlock it, the tow driver taught me that, and because you can't duplicate the condition, they can't repair it. This is our first Subaru and it will be our last. Maybe we got a LEMON?

Ride and handling, especially in ice and snow conditions. Seating comfort, and ease of entry.

Better customer service!