Used 2012 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Subaru or a Volvo
By craig

2012 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Do you think it would help.

Broken and broken hearted.
By Simone Boutet

2012 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I live and work in town so I have only 32,000 miles on my 2012 Outback. So far, the seat dips so far down that my physical therapist prescribed a sacrum wedge just so I could keep my leg from aching and falling asleep; I rarely use the sun roof, but the time I did, it became stuck open; the oil drained out of it for no apparent reason; and now, it is skipping or slipping when I accelerate and my mechanic says I need a whole new transmission at $6,000. There have also been multiple recalls. This is my second Outback and I want to love it, but both have been problematic.
My last Outback had a mysterious battery problem where it kept dying and leaving me stranded. I replaced it twice, but nothing changed. No computer or test could show anything wrong, but new battery or old, it kept dying and leaving me stranded. I keep expecting to buy that one car that I can drive for 200,000 or 250,000 miles, but neither of my two Outbacks have lasted past 50,000. Sad.

Great Dog Mobile
By Bugmom64

2012 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

If you are looking for an economical great go-anywhere dog hauler look no further. Use ours every day, good road clearance, good gas mileage, good cargo room. Exciting- not really but a comfortable all around vehicle that is never in the shop.

Outback is great
By Mac_Camper

2012 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have had our 2012 Outback Premium 4 cylinder for over 4 years and 70,000 miles. This is by far the best car we have ever owned. I cannot believe how amazing it is to drive in the rain and snow. We get over the MPG ratings often with the Continental tires. Highway between 32mpg or better. In town it is closer to 25mpg. Nothing sedan/wagon handles like an Outback, they are so fun to drive. The space in the back is excellent. We find this car so practical for traveling and especially camping with the roof box on top,...recommend Thule 6300, fits perfect on top. Only recommendation to improve this car is don't get the Ivory colored cloth seats you cannot keep them clean even though the fabric is excellent quality, it is the color,...too light. Recommend WetOke seat covers.

Meticulously maintained, constantly broken
By BAS

2012 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought a CPO at 55k and opted for Subaru Gold Plus warranty. In the subsequent 35k miles, it's needed significant repairs ~once per year until this year, when it's been in the shop 3 times for $1000+ repairs--thankfully covered under warranty. It finally died on the highway, towed it to a Subaru dealer, where it's sat for 8 days because it seems like there is not a Subaru dealer in the country that's not too busy. It will require 8+ hours to diagnose the problem, and likely $6000+ for repairs. Subaru is being super cagey about whether it will be covered, despite our factory extended warranty and consistent dealer maintenance (including oil changes) during our ownership of the vehicle. We couldn't get a loaner from the dealer because it was closed and we were on a road trip, so we had to rent from Enterprise. Again, Subaru won't be clear if they'll cover this, even though we couldn't get a loaner at the time and their service centers can't look at anything in a reasonable time. This car has been the worst I've ever owned, including a used, questionable high-mileage Cavalier. Subaru service is as bad as their reliability.