Used 2007 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Not that reliable
By Johnny

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

You would think from all the Subaru adds that their cars are reliable. Not the case with this Forester. The Foresters are notorious for replacing the head gaskets. We have almost 117,000 miles on the car and we started noticing oil leaks at around 100,000 miles. Also, the transmission is slipping so we'll need a new transmission. At this point, we will have to junk the car and maybe I'll get a couple of thousand dollars for it, if I'm lucky. Also, the noise level in the car is terrible. You can hear the wind coming in through the windows.

A Pumkin
By Ed Rogers

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is the 2007 model year 2.5XT with relatively low milelage. We are going to get rid of this car and should have no problem as it is the turbo in Rally Blue. Reason for moving on? Poor reliability. A leak .... head casket repair to the tune of a few thousand dollars. We added a gasket repair fluid and the lead ceased; cost- $22.00 dollars. Water pump replaced twice! Both required the timing belt had to be replaced (the last time it was $1200). Emission valve issues, X2!. Now told for second time the air pump has to be replaced ($900). Radiator blew at a welded seam. These repairs are in addition to the recommended preventative maintenance. The 2007 model currently has just 98K miles and has always been driven conservatively. The Subaru review stops here, but by comparison: Our 2005 Toyota Prius, now with 137,910 miles, still has the original brakes and only preventative maintenance has been required. Believe it or not, the Prius still has the original brakes (disc up front, drum at the rear). The interior has weathered better than any other car I have owned since 1975. The Forester turned into a pumpkin at just about 65K miles with two or three repairs needing to be repeated at about 30K intervals. To Subaru's credit, the Subaru of America group paid $600 towards one of the timing belt repairs. Bottom line, this car's reliability went downhill very quickly. Our Legacy did a little better. We gave Subaru products a fair shake but will now purchase our nest two cars from competitors (hopefully our last new cars :). We hope this inside view helps others as they contemplate purchasing a Subaru these days.

STAY AWAY!! BUYER BEWARE!!
By Kristina

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought a gorgeous 2007 Subaru Forester that was red with a beige interior and had awesome reviews. The right price and a good looking car to boot! Well, shortly after buying it, everything that could go wrong did. It had the transmission go out, the catalytic converter, you name it it happened. It fell apart so badly that we couldn't even sell it for a good price. We had to sell it to a mechanic as a "shell", as in car body but not working, for a whopping $1,400. And we maintained the heck out of it with a reputable mechanic! You would think if you stayed on top of the maintenance it would be okay; well, not with this car! We spent about $8,000 buying it and then we spent about $5,000 repairing it. And then, a ton of other things went out and the cost to fix it is over 9,000! Ridiculous! I was still attached to the car because of its looks and thought I had myself a lemon the first time. I found one in mint condition, that looked just like the first one I had and thought about buying it. Then I read that they had fixed everything that I had! Plus some! The engine had been replaced! Red flag! I had to replace mine, too, and it only had 130,000 miles! Stay away! Find yourself another car! Don't be suckered in by its looks, it will make you sorry and broke!

Great
By Della Cranks

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car has served me well. Outside of the normal maintenance I have not had any problems. The car is dependable.

Looking for the Ultimate Sleeper?? Gramps approved
By Chris Hodges

2007 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First of all, I need to begin this review with a bit of a reality check- in 07, only 87 of these vehicles in my color of Metallic Grey, with a 5 speed AND the Towing Package (1 1/4 trailer hitch with 4.41:1 axles), so, if you THINK you may have found one of these beauties?? DOUBLE CHECK. Now that we have that out of the way, let's continue. As with any other car, what I've found with Maintenance and the inevitable Tuning- find reputable shops who KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!! I found a Shop I thought was reputable, only to find, THOUSANDS of dollars later, that this shop was staffed by a bunch of hacks!! Pros: with the appropriate plug in Cobb tuner, will make GOBS of torque, with little or no change in mileage! With a dyno tune, turns this vehicle into a TOTALLY different driving experience!! No problems with head gaskets or major repairs. This car has been driven hard, but, with regular fluid changes, timing belt changes,etc., runs like a champ! Negatives: THE SEATS ARE ABYSSMAL!!! Omg...if you can find older leather WRX seats, PUT them in...your back will thank you! Invest in Grimmspeed's Master cylinder brace!! Why? Again, this is a part right off a Forester...the Base model...so, the brakes aren't the greatest. The steering could best be described as numb...but, not to worry! 2004 STi power steering pump bolts right in, and, does WONDERS for steering feel. And, if you're looking at ANYTHING approaching decent handling, ditch the stock springs for Swifts. The first car I've EVER owned as a gearhead where I can honestly say I'm NEVER going to sell it...it's been THAT good to me! Oh, and, do yourself a favor and spend that money for decent snowtires to put on your factory steelies- my Blizzaks turned this little SUV into a goanywhere vehicle, even in feet of snow here in Massachusetts!