Used 1999 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Still rolling thru Snow and Ice!
By Goldie Dreyer

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

Sally my subaru has been a trooper. I bought at her in 2010 with 115,000 miles and now have 215,000 miles on her. We go everywhere from freeways to off road. My mechanic patiently fixes her oil leaks, a common problem with Subarus, I understand. I make sure I check the oil every fuel fillup. Engine works great, mileage is roughly 21 mpg, combined highway and city. I have replaced brakes, all 4 axles-its a necessary maintenance item with AWD to have them checked periodicly. I bought really good tires at 185,000 miles since I plan to drive her until 300,000. Some rust developing around rear wheel wells, and rusty under carriage. This year I had to replace front shocks at 210 K miles. Overall, a fantastic buy. I will buy another Subaru and keep Sally for my grandkids.

Good as a first, but may not last
By Thor Heller

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my first car, so I have some love for the black Subaru that I affectionately nicknamed, "Sleipnir". Objectively, that love should not exist. My father got it new, in April of 1999, and shortly got engine problems. 62000 miles. First Engine Replacement. 230000 Miles, second Engine Replacement. Air Conditioning, Clock, and Mirror Motors do not work, and haven't since 2010, 2008, and 2007 respectively. 21 MPG was advertised, but I ended up between 14.1 and 18.3 MPG, keeping the RPMS below 2000 at just about all times. The CD player only takes ever fourth CD, no real pattern to it. At 234500, the front axle broke entirely on it's own, leaving me to limp home at 5 mph. Car needed a plethora of repairs from the moment we got it, until the moment we gave it away. Some of it was age, other bits were poor design/workmanship on the part of Subaru.

2nd Subaru
By coyoteboy

1999 Subaru Forester L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was second Subaru, bought 4yrs ago with 85k now has 150k on it. Dependable car great in Ct. snow storms. Headgaskets, timing belts at 104k. for $1500..Now at 150k, clutch catalytic converter, and filler pipe to gas tank at $2000 for all. No one talks about the filler tube replacement they are plagued with, all Subarus. Our 1999 legacy Gt, My wife loved it, replaced the filler tube at 110k. She was hit head on, not a scratch. Replaced it with 98 Legacy Gt, Puuu, brakes completely went. Was due for emissions engine light came on, Filler tube. 3 out 3 no way. Last Subaru, shame , Forester
is our last Subaru but is expensive to repair. Might as well own a Volvo. Its a Japanes Volvo.

Its starts all the time and is very safe, especially in the cold snowy winter of New England.

Head gaskets and fuel filler tubes. Better gas mileage.

Love my scooby!
By dirtyru

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is a blast to drive. Handles like a true rally car in the curves! With the AWD, it handles exceptionally well off road.
I honestly believe that this car handles/ drives even smoother in the rain! 154,000 miles and still counting! I have the S model, which on here says it's a manual, but i do infact have the crafty automatic. The leather interior has held up greatly & the seat warmers come in handy on those brisk mornings.
Getting rid of my car & having this vehicle has truely inspired me to make it a point to get out of the office & enjoy the outdoors. It's the perfect utility vehicle that also doubles as an economical, every day driver. I hope to keep this for a looong time!

Handling capabilities, the fact that all foresters come standard with roof racks, fog lamps (with grill guards on them), and AWD is the ultimate setup you can get on a stock forester. How many other companies offer that on their base models? I've added a roof basket & hella off road lights to dress it up & make it even more capable. The 16" rims & bull bar on the front are nice as well. Tons of head room

Cup holders! Only one cup holder in the front and 2 in the back. Also, the plastic skid plate underneathe should be replaced with a nice aluminum one that won't rip off first chance. Although mine made it 10yrs before i replaced it. ;) Rear leg room is not suitable for adults - fyi. Kids are fine.

Ugly or not, she's a trooper!
By Jim

1999 Subaru Forester S 4dr Wagon AWD

I've owned the vehicle since it was new. I bought the car in NC and brought it to my home in Minnesota. what an excellent choice! I've had the same battery crank in sub-zero temps for 11 years! However, when it does break down, you will cry. Head gaskets blew at 70K and the repairs cost me $2200. After that, no problems. Fun to drive and an Excellent teen car!

AWD, heated seats, easy to access controls

Better audio system, bigger back seats!