Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Prix for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Lots of looks

Larry Carson, 02/13/2006

I bought my GXP in Octber of 2005. I love this car. I get a lot of looks and finger pointing. My wife said it makes me look and act younger. Very fun car to drive.

favorite car in 26 years of driving

Scott, 12/06/2009

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

Was a good ride

Randall Kakara, 11/12/2015
GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife, average height always complained about blind spots. We bought the car new in 2005 and got 10 good years out of it, but I can never say it was a comfortable ride, esp as WE got older. It became painful on my back to sit in on long trips, and we both had some difficulty climbing out of it as compared to an SUV

Nice looks and powerful engine but...

Josh, 11/03/2008

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

numerous problems

Paul, 06/15/2009

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

GXP is Awesome

Dana, 06/09/2005

I have had my GXP for about 3 weeks and it turns heads everywhere I go! I Love this car the ride is smooth and the performance of the V8 is awesome. This is my 3rd new grand prix in 7 years I must say the Grand Prix has been a very dependable car and I have never had any problems with any of them.

GXP Awesome and it growls

Matthew, 06/11/2005

I have`just purchased a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP after trading in an 04 COMP G. The new car is awesome and it growls like a. tiger. If you want some power and need an exciting ride this is the car for you

Huge Fun to Drive

Naples, FL, 07/23/2005

0-60 in under 6 sec, pretty impressive for a 4 door grocery getter. The engine makes beautiful music, unmistakable V8 growl from the tailpipes. Very responsive handling while not completely sacrificing a comfortable ride-the engineers found a good balance. Pontiac is marketing more stuff to the enthusiast lately, they can be proud of this one.

It sounds great

Thebigb, 11/01/2005

Traded a 2003 Yukon for 2006 Grand Prix GXP. Had read review in various magazines and lived up to all of the hype. Fantastic power, great features, and best of all the $34000. list was reduced to $27,500 out the door. Car is equipped with every available option including Nav and power sun roof. GM dealers are willing to deal big time right now, and you can get those "employee discounts" without the program. This car was on the dealers lot for over 30 days, so he wanted to move it. Got it in black with black interior. Just looks real cool.

Cool Car

Kevin, 12/23/2005

All and all, this is an awesome car. Many are complaining about the fuel economy or the bumpy ride, but guess what, this is a sports car, not a geo! I gave this car a low rating on fuel economy, but I knew that going in. That is not why I bought the car. The fuel economy is not that important to me, but the size of the tank is. Even with the DOD, this car goes through alot of fuel, so why the puny 16 gal tank? Other than that, I love this car, very fun to drive, very comfortable (unless you are over 6 ft, I'm 5'10'' so I'm good), and tons of cargo area. I put six golf bags in the trunk without folding the seats.

V8 Bang for the Buck Winner

APR, 12/31/2005

Dreamed about this car a year before it was available. Great looking machine w/ the performance (HP, torque, braking, suspension) to support it. Surprisely controlled torque-steer (traction control) and instantaneous response from the beefed- up 4T65E tranny. The LS4's torque band is huge and pulls from one end of the tach to the other. The StabiliTrak Sport is simply amazing in the snow/ice allowing you to drive safely while having some fun to boot. The PBR brakes (huge drilled & vented rotors w/ dual pistons calipers up front) are gorgeous, responsive, and fade-free. After 6600 mi. we're averaging 20.2 mpg (trip computer) w/ mostly highway (using cruise control) driving @ 74mph.

awesomeness

Bob Lutz, 03/19/2005

So much low end power. Love it

grrrreat vehicle

Keith McDonald, 06/18/2005

Just bought the new GXP, my first Pontiac. Have had Chevy, Geo, Nissan's, Toyota, and Mazda before. This by far is the slickest, most powerful, fun to drive, and packed with the most features for the money. This one came fully loaded with everything except navigation system. The driver and passenger seats are very soft and comfortable and can be positioned in numerous ways. Dual climate climate control is nice. Radio automatically adjust for sound as you speed up or slow down. The V-8 will cut off 4 cylinders once you get to cruising speed to save gas mileage. This puppy gets about 27 MPG on the highway which is nice for a V-8 with 303 hp.

A driver's car

mikej, 06/18/2005

This car is outstanding with 18" wheels the ride and handling rivals anything on the road. Fit and finish are excellent, this is a driver's car. Dual exhaust also gives this car the sound of my 70' corvette.

Fun to Drive

jerry young, 06/20/2005

I just purchased the Grand Prix GXP, this car is fast. We were looking at buying the GTO for sports car look and performance. Since my wife and I travel alot, along with my 2 boys, and after looking in the trunk of the GTO, which you can only fit 2 small bags. We decided to get the Grand Prix, it has good looks, 4 doors, but when me and my wife drove this car, whow, the V8 has a lot of power for a family car. It handles like a race car. It's fast, sleek, and good looking. Just in the 3 days that we have had the car, a lot of kids and adults have complimented on this car.

GXP Black

tonyGXP, 07/17/2005

My gxp is loaded without navi, what can i say?? Go and drive one!!! Its nicer than anything in its class, foreign & domestic. Fast, handles like its on rails, stops better than any car i've ever driven, i get compliments on this car without people even looking on the inside ( exhaust especially)how & why would you buy an accord or camry or an impala ss (even with a v8) i paid 27k for mine sticker was $33,396, beat it, you won't be able to.

Eye-Catcher

Thunder, 07/19/2005

Blue-Green Crystal gets lots of compliments in parking lots, gas stations, etc. Great performance, but if the idea for bigger tires in the front really was to reduece torque steer, I don't notice much improvement over my former '98 GTP. Still, be aware of it and it's not a problem. Very solid ride with little or no body lean into corners. City mileage hasn't worked out as advertised yet, though I only have 600 miles on it, so far. Hopefully it'll get better than the current 14 mpg after a couple of thousand miles. Highway miles are decent (26mpg) and should also improve, soon. HUD is much better and more informative than older models. Exhaust? Aaaah, sounds like my old Z- 28.

Mid Life Dream Car

jammerman, 07/20/2005

Saw the Grand Prix GT at Auto Show, loved the sportiness, but didn't buy - boy am I glad! When GM offered the employee pricing, discovered Pontiac had released a more sporty, upscale GXP - basically a GT with the V8 and all the sporty options (mags, chrome highlights, etc.) with the slightly lowered profile, this car screams speed! Everyone on my friends are green with envy. Nice throatty growl, instrument cluster well placed. TAP shifter makes it a fun cruiser.

Not your typical boring 4 door

Mark Moody, 07/31/2005

I just purchased an 05 Grand Prix GT great car at a great price with the employee discount saved almost $7000.00.This is my second Grand Prix GT we also have an 02 which after 75000 miles has yet to give us any problems.I test drove many other cars but came back to Pontiac.For the money I couldn`t find a better equipped car.The Grand Prix GT for us is a nice combination of good looks power and reliability.

It's a gas hog but fun to drive

AK Milwaukee, 08/04/2005

I'm not getting anywhere close to the posted EPA estimates but the sound, power, and handling far outweigh the 21 mpg I average, (and that's driving it sanely!) with 60% hwy and 40% city driving. It pulls a little when doing heavy braking but torque steer on acceleration is minimal. Roomy and comfortable on the inside but I don't understand why Pontiac can't give this car memory settings for the seats - my husband is 6' 4" and I'm 5' 5" - tough to exchange drivers. Also, some gas pedal extension would be nice. For the price I think this car is a great value. I switched from a 2002 Chrysler 300 M and am glad I did.

great value

docV8, 08/08/2005

I had to go a ways to find this car, but it was worth it. I was looking at this or a BMW 545, and this took the cake (yes, really). Interior feels wonderful, exterior is beautiful. Power is everywhere. Despite what journalists are saying, torque steer has not occured yet, but for one time when it was floored at 10 MPH on uneven pavement. All I had to do was hang on tighter. Rear drive cars will break traction and get all twisted up (slip/regrip/lurch)if you floor it on uneven pavement, so what's the big deal? I guess some self proclaimed 'enthusiasts' like to kick out the rear end around corners, but if you ask me, I'd rather stay pointed where I want to go. Back seats are great too.

GXP is Great

Mr MRG, 09/08/2005

No better combination of performance, ride, comfort, handling, safety and practicality. I can have my fun and haul the family away in comfort on the weekends. Solid build and even with the 300HP never seems out of control.

I Love this car.

Duke, 09/30/2005

I had a 2005 Mustang GT and that was the 6th Mustang I owned. After only 3 months I sold it and bought the 2005 Grand Prix GXP. Soooo many more features and it handles incredibly great for a sedan. And regardless of what the magazines say. The Grand prix beat the Mustang at the Drag strip in (STOCK) form by a tenth of a second. Not bad for a sedan. The suspension and brake system is great and the tires are the same as the factory Mercedes AMG 500. For some reason this car was never advertised and the magazines won't print much about it. To all the magazine editors out there. WAKE UP. All you need Is a few aftermarket companies to make some goodies and this car will blow the doors off anythn

Love this car

MJ2, 10/14/2005

I have had Pontiacs since I got my license (ok, forget the 69 Dodge Dart), but have also been loong at BMW's and Acuras. This is by far the best bang for the buck. Every time that I have gone in for service (nothing wrong) or a car wash, the car receives compliments galore. Get over the import hype, and you see a vehicle that is (hopefully) the new beginning of the American auto industry. Worth every penny.

fast and looks good in my garage

kyler kelley, 12/18/2005

car is awesome. very fast. mustang guys think you got some v6 car when you pull up until they see the v8 badge on the back as you pass them. i also have not driven it in 6 weeks due to crappy weather it looks great in my garage

GXP

commander, 04/13/2006

I hav owned this car almost a year and have loved it since day one. This is not one of those cars that you will regret owning several months later.

Dark Cherry GXP

Brian, 06/11/2006

Lots of power with torque-steer, I always say hold on when you put the pedal down. Over-all it's a fun to drive but it does drink fuel even it you drive it normal. Road ruts created by the large trucks seem to whip the car from side to side. My 03 chev had no problem with the ruts, this car does. I'm totally shocked that I need to repair my front brakes at only 25,000 miles considering 90% of the miles are HWY driving and that I really am gentle on my brakes.GM not willing to do anything about the brakes even so it's still under warranty.

Blue/Green Chrystal GXP

Toni Ahlgren, 10/25/2006

My 2005 GXP is an outstanding performance sportscar. I love the output from the engine when I step on it. It feels like the rear-axle is somehow kind off "glued" when I stop and go and at a redlight if I make a normal start. Feels little bit "jerky"

Wow, what kind of car is this?

Russ, 04/09/2008

I get that question asked all the time. I don't know how to answer because it's so different from the base Grand Prix that I often just say "GXP" and then the person who asked shuts up and you can tell they have no clue what a GXP is.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned

Tom, 04/17/2008

Great power and fun to drive, however, 2 pages of repairs including 3 transmissions, tie rod ends, 3 $340 tires, this car was towed 6 times, when I basically gave it away on a trade-in it was diagnosed with another bad transmission and a bad starter!! Drove it a total of 86K. Of all the new vehicles I owned in 35 years this one is the worst. At one point the dealer said he was going to get GM to take the vehicle back, but, that TOO didn't happen. My wife actually told me "that car or me". I love my wife.

51050