Used 1997 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Firebird for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Summer Car!

austin, 01/30/2008
2dr Hatchback

This is a wonderful car, my grandmother bought this car in 1997 brand new and although it has had some major problems I still love this car. Fuel pump replaced twice and the plugs and wires have been changed every summer we pull it out of storage since it was about four years old. Car has great acceleration and good feel when shifting this 5-speed. Excellent fuel economy (23/35) when driving like this car was meant to be driven (fast). Some problems have occured at about 60k miles such as the window motors going out and the radio but that's to be expected. This car is very dangerous in the winter on ice as we live in michigan so it is only driven in the summer. Very nice car for the money!

Good Driving Car, Solid

Jake2007, 11/03/2006
Formula 2dr Hatchback

This car is an excellent car to drive, it's real solid, the power is not too bad either, the formulas were actually faster than the Trans Ams, with a 5.7 second 0-60 compared to the Trans Am's 6.1 second 0-60.

'97 Formula

Danny, 02/22/2006
Formula 2dr Hatchback

The car is a beautiful combination of style and performance that turns heads everywhere. Just because it doesn't have the 505 hp found in the Chevy Z06, you will never feel like you need anything else. Never have I found a postion in which I wished for more acceleration or a higher maximum speed. The ride is fairly smooth, but in the automatic form, 3rd gear gets a little bumpy around 4000 rpm, but 4th gear is smoother and more quiet than I've ever experienced in the f-bodys.

A Great Sportscar

ken32708, 02/21/2011
2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car since it was new. Although it has had some problems, it is after all a sportscar and you can expect them. With just over 100,000 miles on it now, I finally had the plugs changed and the second round of new coils and wiring. That and replacing the muffler with a Flowmaster have restored the old higher power capability again. Also, I replaced the Monsoon stereo with a Sony that has is XM capable and added a 10" bass tube that LOOKS LIKE a NOX tank. The kids and grandkids want to know what I want to do with the car when I die and I tell them, I'm being buried in it. When all the Firebirds are gone, the world will be a dimmer place.

Pontiac did build excitement!

1776data, 11/19/2009
2dr Hatchback

When you think of american muscle cars, you always thought of pontiac. The firebird is synonomous with having fun and getting to where you gotta go a little faster. The 3800 V6 has plenty of pep, the suspension is tight, and the body style is enviable. Add the t-tops and the optional ground effects package and you will have people turning thier heads. The 97 firebird has beautiful flowing body lines and curves, it makes you feel proud every time you turn the key.

the wrong formula?

ex formula drvr, 08/16/2002
Formula 2dr Hatchback

bought car new and kept for 5 years with 94000 mi. Had too many problems that ruined the enjoyment of the car. Water pump, oil sending unitleak, pinion seal (2x), intake manifold leak (2x), radio volume control, rack and pinion/tie rod ends - all before I hit 60000 mi. GM should do a better job of making quality cars.

97 Firebird

Sharker, 07/05/2002
2dr Hatchback

This is a great car...but with GM Quality. At 4,000 miles 500 Watt 10 Speaker Moonson Stereo begins to act up- Volume control is touchy, and CD stacker give off Error code-Fixed by pulling Fuses. Rear Window defogger dies at 37,000 miles but was touchy from the start-but I can live without it; Driver's Power Window dies at 48,000-fixed by replacing motor and regulator; Drive ability issues rise at 57,000 miles feels like transmission is slipping....aaauugghhhh...In Short, This is a great car as long as it is under a warranty.

the good, the bad, the awesome

redfirebird15, 11/10/2002
2dr Hatchback

the awesome: the 3.8L v6 pumps out more horses than any import you see on the road. my dad bought this car in march, and I will get it in june. So far, this is the car of my dreams. It is a red firebird, with a 3.8l v6, that generates 200hp and 225ft.lb. of torque. that is plenty of power for a 16 year old. It also makes the insurance affordable. I would recommend this car to any 16-25 singles, as it only has room for 2.

Fun Car!!

B4May, 06/06/2006
2dr Hatchback

I have been driving this car for 6 years and I still love it as much as I did the day I got it. Rides a little rough, but it's a sports car after all. Love the steering wheel radio controls - I'm forever spoiled and will never drive a car without them. Also love the great orange dash lighting. T-tops are very fun, but I don't use them as often as I could because they are kind of a pain - manual removal and have to store them in the trunk, so it must be empty to do so. I have had problems with the spark plugs - mechanics complain because they are difficult to change. Back seat is small - but again, it's a sports car, so you don't buy it for hauling people or cargo. Super fun to drive!!

Bang for the buck

Brooklyn, 07/29/2005
2dr Hatchback

Few cars match the extrerior styling of this car. It looks almost more expensive then it is. It is fun to drive providing strong acceleration even in the v6 form. The v6 is both strong and economical giving almost 30mpg on the highway. The 3800 series II is a popular engine found on many gm cars and is also reliable

big bang for low buck

stankemp, 09/10/2002
Formula 2dr Hatchback

I have 138000 miles on the car now. Specs are :Formula pkg+sport suspension+6 speed. Tires replaced with Dunlop Sport 9000s-no hydroplane , big bite in the curves. Everyone in the family likes to drive this car! Some early problems with wiper controls/speed control and headlight motor. Also need to replace a stress cracked windshield.No problems since 25k miles.

97 Formula Hatchback

Joshua Williams, 02/03/2003
Formula 2dr Hatchback

Great style, unexpected great gas mileage for a v8, gut wrenching torque, great fun ripping through the gears, rides nice, great interior layout, handles any curve you can throw at it, lots of third party support for this vehicle, an american icon, FAST!!!

love my car

Soggy, 06/29/2005
2dr Hatchback

all my friends drive the usual herd cars, but this one always gets the looks. Have had it for over 7 years now, and still love this. It stands out in the parking lot, performs really well, except for minor repairs, it works pretty darn fine. Picks up speed fast, and I really like the rocketship feel of the car. Just wish that they had done something about the passenger bump and some more space in the trunk.

Firebirds are sweet

mike, 08/17/2005
2dr Hatchback

Firebirds are sweet. They should have kept making them. They have the best handling and performance a car can ever give!

1997 Firebird

John, 03/11/2005
2dr Hatchback

My dad bought me this car for my 16th birthday and I love it. It has had some minor problems with the driver window motor and the power steering hose broke. But other than that I have had only standard maintenance on it. With the 3.8 liter v6 it has enough power to keep up with some V8's and has enough power to smoke the tires. I have fun driving it but in rain and snow it is not the best vehicle on the road. My firebird is silver with T-Tops and in the summer is fun to drive overall I believe that for a 16 yr old like me this is the perfect car. and my next car will be a firebird.

I love this car!

BP, 06/24/2006
2dr Hatchback

Gas mpg on the road right now is really nice! It is very fun to drive! Love the pop-up lights and the power of the engine! 3.8 L with 200 hp what's not to love? If I wanted to I could easily boost the hp on this thing. Why do that though when it gets such great mileage for a sporty car (we ain't talking about a honda civic or anything this is a firebird). If you don't want one or don't like the one you have sell it! someone else will though!

Great Car

Chadwick, 05/24/2003
2dr Hatchback

This car is awesome. Its sleek design and stylish looks combined with the raw power of the engine make this car one of my favorites.

51050