Used 2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Excellent SUV
By Jose

2007 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2007 Xterra used, to replace my 17 year old pickup Mazda (Ranger) pickup truck as my daily driver. I needed something with a backseat, as I have kids to drive around now. The Xterra is great. I've owned several trucks and SUVs, and this has the strongest V6 engine I've ever regularly driven. Merging on the interstate or passing is no problem at all, the Xterra gets it done. Handles amazingly well. The Xterra is not loaded up with bells and whistles, which is exactly what I wanted. I don't need all of those odds and ends, that I probably wouldn't use anyway, breaking on me. The cargo area is not carpeted, it is all durable plastics, which is perfect for throwing whatever muddy stuff/tools/kid's sports equipment/wet dog you have back there. The only upgrade I made on mine was to pull the factory radio out and put in a touch screen system with bluetooth and backup camera (Pioneer touch screen radio and camera cost me $230 total from Amazon), and I only did that because I don't carry around CDs any longer. Nissan's slogan for this vehicle was "Everything you need, nothing you don't," and that is 100% the case. Mine is now 11 years old and has 96K miles on it, and I've never had a single issue with it. Do your regular maintenance and these things will last a long time. However, if you do own or buy a 2007, do yourself a favor and do the transmission radiator bypass. This will save you from a costly transmission replacement in the future. It will take you 30 minutes and about $20 bucks. Don't know how to turn wrenches? Get your mechanic to do it. Google this problem, there are tons of complaints about it, Nissan should have done a recall on these radiators. The fix is very easy. I did this to mine right after I learned about this issue and I've never had a problem. The only complaint I have ever had about my Xterra, is that the EPA gas mileage estimates are almost a flat out lie. I drive like a grandpa in the city (and don't do 100 mph on the interstate, modest offroading), and I've never done better than 13 mpg in the city. I typically do 11-12. Highway is about 18. As long as you do the transmission radiator bypass and plan to spend some dough on fuel, this vehicle should last you a long time.

Love mine
By Ron Smith

2007 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Built like a tank. My bright yellow Xtera has been hit three times by people who can't put there phones down. Damage was barely noticeable on my Xtera but caused extensive damage on the other autos.

Best car I have ever owned
By D robison

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I would buy another Nissan in a heartbeat. My xterra has 160,000+ miles. No problems.

10 Years and Still a Great Ride
By Hiker / Camper

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Xterra for close to 10 years. Safe, solid, reliable. At about 93,000 miles it is going through the usual part replacement requirements due to age, wear and tear. Xterra is regularly maintained. The transmission, trans cooler, radiator were replaced at about 80,000 miles. Just recently had heater inlet valve assembly replaced as a neighbor lost their engine on their Nissan Pathfinder due to "maintenance / care / neglect". Seriously following maintenance schedule is everything. Xterra is serviced at Nissan dealership which provides top-of-the-line care and maintenance. Recently drove across country through heavy rains, etc. Xterra handles like a champ and gives a person a sense of safety and security. It can be driven all day without feeling uncomfortable. I had the sound system replaced early on in my vehicle's history, so I enjoy a better sound experience than what originally came with the vehicle. I am on my third set of tires. Still riding on Michelin tires. I hope that Nissan will return to manufacturing the Xterra again sometime soon. Cannot say enough positive things about my ownership experience. In June, 2017 had major maintenance performed including replacing engine mounts, rear brakes and basic 90,000 mile maintenance. As long as maintenance is performed regularly, the Xterra will continue to be a solid, reliable vehicle. In December of 2017 I had to have the Thermostat replaced. Wish the dealership would have replaced that along with the inlet valve assembly back in 2016. Oh well. It remains my intention to keep the Xterra for the long-haul, and it may well be my last vehicle. It continues to be a solid, reliable vehicle - as long as I stay on top of the maintenance and replace parts as needed. The Arizona heat is very hard on vehicles.

Love it BUT Possible transmission problems
By Annette Huss

2007 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Xterra. It has great cargo room. I've moved 2 kids back and forth from college and am able to get everything in. The weight and 4WD makes me feel confident and safe in snow and ice. It drives like drives like a truck but has the convenience of an SUV. BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK there is a flaw in the transmission/radiator. Between 80,000 and 100,000 miles the radiator can leak water and will contaminate the transmission. A class action lawsuit was filed and Nissan will pay anything over $3,000 if the Xterra is under 100,000 miles. You are responsible for the first $3,000. This being said, I love my Xterra so much that I chose to pay to fix it. Nissan was great to work with and I'm glad I made the decision.