Used 2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Coil Packs
By Vikki

2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We bought our Xterra very used...... 161K miles but was told that it was a solid vehicle. It had already had the transmission work done. Within 2 days of taking it home the Service Engine Light came on..... I figured it was a gas cap sensor..... WRONG..... It has been back to the dealership 3 TIMES. The first time they just reset the SEL as it came up as a random misfire..... SEL came on within 60 hours of it being home. wasn't even driven!!!!! Back in.... sent it home with replacing one coil pack...... 48 hrs later SEL is on AGAIN..... Had a friend plug it in and the code read...."Random: Multiple Cylinder Misfire"..... REALLY. I drive it 10 miles a day and the only real miles I have put on this vehicle is taking it to and from the dealership to be worked on(36 miles one way). Back in there for the past 4 days... SCARED about the reliability of this vehicle. I know it's old and has miles... But I truly like it and only drive a few miles a day... Winter is coming.... Do I let it go back or keep it????

Excellent SUV
By Jose

2007 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2007 Xterra used, to replace my 17 year old pickup Mazda (Ranger) pickup truck as my daily driver. I needed something with a backseat, as I have kids to drive around now. The Xterra is great. I've owned several trucks and SUVs, and this has the strongest V6 engine I've ever regularly driven. Merging on the interstate or passing is no problem at all, the Xterra gets it done. Handles amazingly well. The Xterra is not loaded up with bells and whistles, which is exactly what I wanted. I don't need all of those odds and ends, that I probably wouldn't use anyway, breaking on me. The cargo area is not carpeted, it is all durable plastics, which is perfect for throwing whatever muddy stuff/tools/kid's sports equipment/wet dog you have back there. The only upgrade I made on mine was to pull the factory radio out and put in a touch screen system with bluetooth and backup camera (Pioneer touch screen radio and camera cost me $230 total from Amazon), and I only did that because I don't carry around CDs any longer. Nissan's slogan for this vehicle was "Everything you need, nothing you don't," and that is 100% the case. Mine is now 11 years old and has 96K miles on it, and I've never had a single issue with it. Do your regular maintenance and these things will last a long time. However, if you do own or buy a 2007, do yourself a favor and do the transmission radiator bypass. This will save you from a costly transmission replacement in the future. It will take you 30 minutes and about $20 bucks. Don't know how to turn wrenches? Get your mechanic to do it. Google this problem, there are tons of complaints about it, Nissan should have done a recall on these radiators. The fix is very easy. I did this to mine right after I learned about this issue and I've never had a problem. The only complaint I have ever had about my Xterra, is that the EPA gas mileage estimates are almost a flat out lie. I drive like a grandpa in the city (and don't do 100 mph on the interstate, modest offroading), and I've never done better than 13 mpg in the city. I typically do 11-12. Highway is about 18. As long as you do the transmission radiator bypass and plan to spend some dough on fuel, this vehicle should last you a long time.

Love mine
By Ron Smith

2007 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Built like a tank. My bright yellow Xtera has been hit three times by people who can't put there phones down. Damage was barely noticeable on my Xtera but caused extensive damage on the other autos.

Best car I have ever owned
By D robison

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I would buy another Nissan in a heartbeat. My xterra has 160,000+ miles. No problems.

10 Years and Still a Great Ride
By Hiker / Camper

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Xterra for close to 10 years. Safe, solid, reliable. At about 93,000 miles it is going through the usual part replacement requirements due to age, wear and tear. Xterra is regularly maintained. The transmission, trans cooler, radiator were replaced at about 80,000 miles. Just recently had heater inlet valve assembly replaced as a neighbor lost their engine on their Nissan Pathfinder due to "maintenance / care / neglect". Seriously following maintenance schedule is everything. Xterra is serviced at Nissan dealership which provides top-of-the-line care and maintenance. Recently drove across country through heavy rains, etc. Xterra handles like a champ and gives a person a sense of safety and security. It can be driven all day without feeling uncomfortable. I had the sound system replaced early on in my vehicle's history, so I enjoy a better sound experience than what originally came with the vehicle. I am on my third set of tires. Still riding on Michelin tires. I hope that Nissan will return to manufacturing the Xterra again sometime soon. Cannot say enough positive things about my ownership experience. In June, 2017 had major maintenance performed including replacing engine mounts, rear brakes and basic 90,000 mile maintenance. As long as maintenance is performed regularly, the Xterra will continue to be a solid, reliable vehicle. In December of 2017 I had to have the Thermostat replaced. Wish the dealership would have replaced that along with the inlet valve assembly back in 2016. Oh well. It remains my intention to keep the Xterra for the long-haul, and it may well be my last vehicle. It continues to be a solid, reliable vehicle - as long as I stay on top of the maintenance and replace parts as needed. The Arizona heat is very hard on vehicles.