Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Love my X!!
By SciFiChick

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my X. Bought it in 2006 after a lost love affair with BMW. Had an X3 which I traded for the X-Terra. The X-Terra blows away the BMW. Love the stereo, though suggest if you like Sirius, get it factory installed. Love the seats, love the handling. There is a little paint drip mark on the rear gate, but I am a nitpicker. Handles like a dream, and, where flooding is prevalent, it skims over most anything. Highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a sporty, fun drive. Get the SE, or the Off- Road. Power doors/locks make the difference. Need to upgrade (too many guests in the car), cannot bring myself to get rid of my X-Terra.

Sporty rugged looks, beast on the road, power when you need it. Stereo is awesome.

Arm rest is too far back. Very uncomfortable. Nissan: you sell these cars to short women!! Wish the locks engaged when car put into drive.

Great SUV, big stereo problems
By dilan55

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Xterra, it was everything I wanted. Having said that, I am disappointed with the Rockford Fosgate stereo. I've had to get it replaced twice, lost over $100 worth of cd's. I also had issues with the A/C not working which took two trips to the dealership to get fixed. All this has been under warranty, but I will have to trade before the warranty is up, I can't afford the maintenance. At my last oil change I was told there were problems with the suspension system. What next????

Auto dimming mirror. Fun to drive

Obviously above problems need fixed, would also like the center console a little higher.

Great vehicle, weak dealerships
By Cedric

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

After 16 months, I'm still completely satisfied with the Xterra. Nissan's support network is another matter. One dealership totally botched the recall work on the factory trailer hitch; another botched a simple repair on some interior trim. My experience is that there's great design and quality control at the factory, but the dealer network needs to be brought up to a higher standard. Nonetheless it's an easy to drive, well designed SUV with versatile interior space and good ergonomics. Just hope you can avoid the dealer's service department!

Very versatile space, good power, nice looks

The front door opens so wide that, unless you have gorilla-length arms, it's hard to close it when you're sitting in the driver's seat.

One of a kind SUV
By ozarksx05se

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my SE 4-WD x new in sept 2005. It has 20k miles now and I really enjoy this truck. It is a blast to drive. A V-6 that feels like a V-8! 5 spd auto is awesome. Rockford Fosgate stereo is great. I added Gibson CAT back exhaust, and AirRaid cold air intake. 75 mph on the highway and 21 mpg. Mechanically I belive this is one tough truck. Easy to clean interior as well. Here are my complaints: Platic materials need to be more durable in a truck marketed the way this one is. 3 warranty trips to the dealership for squeaks, rattles, and hitch recall. Local dealer is really good.

awesome looks, a blast to drive, powertrain!!!, Stereo!, utility, storage, bang for the buck.

Thermometer, more durable plastics inside and out.

Awesome Vehicle
By Richard

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my XTerra in Apr 2005 and have already put on 35,000 miles on it. It is an awesome vehicle. So far I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. This is a very VERY reliable SUV - does not have too many extras which is how I like it - There are fewer things that can go wrong with it.

Acceleration! Power.

Improve the bumpy truck like ride -