Used 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:

Decent option for an all year vehicle
By Jon M

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I currently live in Wisconsin, so the weather can vary greatly between the snow and heat. I needed something that can get me through each season, which is why I chose a used Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2008 AWD. I successfully added my own receiver and mounted in under the gps receiver that comes with the car (which I spliced into the cigarette lighter power and ground), and added a 10 inch sub in the back. I can confirm this vehicle can power an extra receiver/sub/amp/ and the hybrid battery can handle rumbling from the sub even when the sub is directly on top of the compartment that the hybrid battery is in. In the winter time, this vehicle can get through snow pretty easily, and can handle ice with below 0 temperatures. In the summer, the car has not overheated in over 100 degree f temperatures. The interior is made with poor material but looks nice. The outside looks decent but has some rust above the wheels, and the paint has survived 8 years and still looks decent. The speed limit where I live is 70mph on the highway, and when going 70mph I maybe get 23-25 mpg average. If I go around 65mph I get 24-27mpg average. So no, you probably wont get 29mpg as advertised on the highway unless you are going way under the speed limit. When in town, if you stop quickly or are going slow, (usually slower than 25mph) the hybrid battery mode will kick in, which just uses hybrid battery power and not gas. This also makes the car almost silent, however you have to be going pretty slow for the battery to stay on, otherwise the engine turns back on. in town if you are going fairly slow, you can achieve up 60mpg with the battery fully on. If you are varying slow and fast speeds, you should be able to get at least 25-40 mpg in town. The only issues I have had was my steering column started to fail, and it costed me around $1000 to fix. Also one tie rod needed to be replaced, and both of the front wheel brake sensor and tone rings needed to be replaced. Lastly my transfer case had to be replaced, but this is most likely due to the 22 inch rims I used to have on the vehicle. Overall, for a used hybrid mini suv that also has AWD, this is a pretty decent buy.

Above average
By rhaman

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Ford product and the first car that had rust. Rust developed on both rear fenders on the top section. I found out this is common to Ford vehicles of this style. It has to do with the welding or how the two sections were fitted at the factory that allows moisture to collect. The vehicle is excellent. Not perfect but we wanted a fuel efficient SUV for traveling. It does that. The seats could be more comfortable. This a Premium model that comes with a $3.00 radio antenna. Handling in snow, mud is superb. With proper use of the throttle it can go about 1 mile on electric at slow speeds. I have logged 45 MPG on a 12 mile run on back roads. I average 33 MPG. My wife averages 28.

The drive system, navigation, it is extremely reliable. Only issues were two ABS sensors in the front wheels that broke off and the cooling pump for the hybrid battery that on recall Ford reimbursed the $380 cost. Overall, this car has been reported to log over 500,000 miles without major issues

Ford, a Premium car with a $3.00 antenna is beyond conceivable. As to the hybrid drive, a one more Kilowatt/hr battery would have been more deserving of this otherwise excellent vehicle. I also changed the horn to dual ones. The single horn should be illegal as it is not enough sound. As to the rust, well, the "quality" announced as a Ford priority was very poor on this and similar models. Of course, it rusted AFTER the warranty period expired.

Cargo area above the battery catches fire
By tonyrita

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Mercury Mariner for 5 years and had no issues other than a new set of tires and brakes.
Last week after making a local trip, I parked my Mariner in the garage and 2 hours later the car caught fire and burned most of my garage and my wifes car.
I'm warning current and future owners of this car so nobody else has to go through this pain.

Pretty Good SUV
By arockcastle

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this SUV because it met my needs perfectly.
It got good fuel economy, had four-wheel-drive, and was still big enough for me to fit me and my stuff.
Despite this, the car isn't always that comfortable.
The ride is bumpy, and there is a lot of engine, wind, and road noise.
The exterior styling looks pretty boring, and the interior materials feel cheap.
So far, I'm getting about 30 MPG in the winter and 35 MPG in the summer (mostly highway driving).
Overall I'm happy with this car, but I can't say I would recommend it.
There are many cheaper cars that are more comfortable and get almost as good of fuel economy, like the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, or even a new 2012 Ford Focus.

Very good fuel economy, lots of rear seat and cargo room, many cool bells and whistles (such as a navigation system).

Ride could be better, wish there was less noise, not that fun to drive, exterior is not very stylish, many interior materials feel cheap.

Wow... What a great value and fun car
By carricrf

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Was searching for a good value in a used Hybrid car.
Was concerned about performance, price and reliability. Did my research on this car and was very impressed with performance, handling, features and style. I would highly recommend and would suggest that if interested, you take one for a drive and see what I mean. I have a Fusion that I like as well, but this really has been a great choice!
Performs like a powerful 6 cyl, but gets 30+ MPG combined milage (my real experience).
Comfortable and gets positive comments from my family and friends like it was a New Car!

Navigation Radio (big plus), heated leather seats soft and comfortable, audiophile radio is great sounding, chrome trim is tastful and upscales the vehicle vs it's twin Escape. The switching from electric motor to gasoline motor is seamless but fun to watch on the navigation radio screen that shows you what is going on under the hood. Quite a technological advanced car when you think of what it is doing to keep your milage as high as possible.

Is an SUV, so road feel is there by design, I like it, but some may not.