Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

One of the best used cars you can buy for price
By Alex D.

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I daily a 2007 SL 550, it is my only car. I bought about a year and a half ago with 64k miles on the car. I absolutely adore this car, it's the (almost) perfect mix of sporty and comfortable. The seats could have a bit more legroom, but I am 6'4" and I can make it work. Cargo space is sometimes an issue, but that's my fault for daily-ing a convertible. In my opinion, the design is still absolutely beautiful, I prefer it to the newer generations actually. Repairs have not been cheap, but not too bad either, pretty reliable car, I have put 22k miles on the car and have spent about 3k total on services, repairs, and tires. It's a lot of fun to drive, and has a reasonable amount of power, handles very well. The automatic folding hardtop is the dream, super quick and easy, from coupe to convertible in seconds, that's really the best thing about the car. For the price, you're getting a world class touring convertible that will still turn heads and thrill you everyday. Yes, the electronics are pretty outdated, and it doesn't even have an aux port, but as a car, it's fantastic.

Buy New !
By J. Marshall Hughes

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Great SL. As it got older, it had a lot of issues with gaskets drying up, engine mounts had to be replaced, air suspension Very expensive to maintain and repair. Engine ran great, decent MPG of 21 highway driving. Beautiful car !! Traded it in for a Lexus that is much more reliable and very low maintenance cost. M-B should be able to produce a similar product. Loved M-B engineering. This was my 3rd M-B.

Sweet ride!
By Daniel Smith

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Everything you want in a fun get away car! I thought I would use it for weekend jaunts through the countryside with the top down, and I do, however it turned or to be my daily driver. I hate seeing the miles rack up so quickly but I can't keep from driving it everywhere! It has without a doubt the most comfortable seats I've found. The handing is great in all situations and of course the awesome power never gets old. It never fails to turn heads no matter where I go.

$110,000 LEMON
By ratanlal

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

New car stalled 4 times. After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes car would start up again. Took it every time to a dealer. No problem found.
I hear grinding sound, Dealer says normal. never heard that in any of my 20 other cars I have bought before.
Soon as warranty expired, there was a problem. During test Dealer claimed that the Compression cable broke. Cost $2000+. I still hear noise and (sometimes) gears shift at a very high RPM.
Went to get Smog test. They said they could not get steady RPM of 2800 to perform the test.
This week the door handle broke. Cost $500.
I would say that MBZ has VERY POOR QUALITY.
Buying MBZ 1984-2007. NEVER AGAIN.

Piece of garbage

Quality control. For poor quality, take responsibility and correct it.

Great ride
By Rocket

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just bought this SL550 for my wife. What a beautiful car. She wanted a sports car and I would not let her drive my Z8 :-) This car is such a nice all around car. It had about 8K miles on it and is 2.5 years old and like another mentioned about 50% of initial MSRP. It was a certified MB so we got a additional 2 year 50K warranty on top of the existing warranty. The car is built like a tank and has plenty of power. It is no Z8 but a much better every day car and tourer and quite the luxury cruiser. We could have spent $60K on a new Corvette GS or the same on this TT&L and it was a no brainer.

Hardtop convertible, great smooth, powerful motor, safety, great looks,, fine handling for such a heavy car. Built like a tank and extremely refined. Getting good gas mileage for such a heavy car with about 400 HP. GREAT VISIBILITY out the rear and sides.

The tilt steering wheel needs to move further up to access entry. I hit my knees when getting in. It may be that mine needs to be looked into.