Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Mercedes- nothing but the worst.
By Philip

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

You better do your long, hard, and unbiased researched on this vehicle because if you do not, you will be presented with a host of surprises that can and will financially burry and emotionally burden you. This vehicle is not worth owning outside of warranty and if you are thinking about buying one for a few thousand dollars because it is cheap, you better know how to work on it or have a mechanic who has no bills. Regardless, you will pay...a lot. This vehicle is an absolute money pit. It is extremely unreliable. The abc pump, accumulators, struts, body control system are flawed and can and will drain your savings account. The transmission is one of the worst Mercedes has ever put out. It is extremely unreliable. It will either need to be replaced or overhauled. The conductor plate goes bad. The speed sensor goes bad. The crankshaft position sensor goes bad which will cause the car to not start or stall while driving. The ac blower motor and resistor go bad which results in no ac. The rain sensor goes bad. The interior temperature sensor goes bad which is located near the rear view mirror and will cause the climate control system to not work. The radio controls may exhibit delayed input. The transmission and motor mounts go bad very quickly even with moderate driving. Radiator longevity is low. Passenger sensors in seats fail and cause the srs light to come in which causes the 'pre safe unavailable' message to appear in the dash. Gear shifter selector bushings go bad. Soft-close doors fail. This car is just an absolute disaster.

Great car but expensive to repair
By Rich

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 S430 2 years ago when it had 126,000 miles on it. It is by far the most comfortable car I've ever owned and I've owned several. Great reliable engine, sufficient power. good in snow (I live in northern climate). The Nav did not work when I got it, but that's ok what with iPhone and google maps. Radio sound quality is average. The only drawback is that the repairs are expensive. If you keep that in mind, you will love this car.

I love this car! Got it used at great price!
By Big Al

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I love this car! So does my teenage son, who keeps trying for find excuses to borrow it from me! I bought it used last year with only 58,000 miles for way less than its original new car price (of course, it was 10 years old). Glad I didn't buy it new, since it did depreciate quite a bit in value over the 10 years. However, it was still in near mint condition, and with only 58,000 miles I just had to take a chance on it! This car is extremely comfortable and it rides like a dream. The leg room and comfort of the back seats is so great that I sometimes just let my son drive and I ride in the back. I've put about 13,000 miles on it and haven't had any mechanical problems, but I understand that future repairs and service could be costly. It does not have blue tooth or satellite radio (a bummer), but I'm okay with just radio and CDs. All wheel drive is great in bad weather. Gas mileage has been about 21 mpg on average (not bad for a V8). Trunk space is good. Headlights are bright. Heat and AC perform well. Heated seats are still warm and cozy. No rust problems (which did occur on some earlier years). Overall, I really enjoy this car, especially for the price I paid. If you can get a well maintained used one, these cars are a great purchase.

High Cost of Maintenance - Great Car!
By Krista

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz and I really like the car. My fiance bought a 2004 C Class the same day and has not had as good an experience as I. Great interior size, great performance, great styling. White Exterior, cream interior - just yummy looking! Stereo system sounds great, but the iPod connection is subpar, to say the least. Handles well in all weather and the brakes are second to none; I feel very safe in this vehicle. The only major issues are: electronics are touch and go on this vehicle, maintenance costs are expensive on all MB, storage is NON EXISTANT on this vehicle (interior or trunk - you are hard pressed to fit 10 bags of groceries). But the leg room in back is truly wonderful!

Roomy interior. Exterior styling. Road handling. Sound system.

Storage - trunk is like a large glove box. No storage in the interior - nowhere to put glasses, pens, phone charges, etc). Cup Holders - Worst design I have ever seen. Can only hold one cup in front seat and it often tips over with coffee flying everywhere. Electronics are iffy. WORST IPOD Interface

Nightmare
By Sam

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been the worst car I have ever had. The vaccum assist has gone bad 5 times and so has the GPS. Driver side seat has been repired more than 4 times. Above all, I lost complete power stering fluid at 65mph and no warning light came. I nearly died controlling the car. Tire pressure sensors have gone bad, battery, alternator, dvd on the gps. Music dvd cartridge. The only saving grace has been that the dealers repiring the car have been polite and agreed to fix the items. Now as soon as the car is out of warranty i needed engine mounts, trans mounts and control arms. German cars are not only very poorly made, they are also very, very expensive to maintain.