Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G-Class model:

Wife absolutely loves it
By Brian

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Was not sure if buying a $45k used car was going to work out but my wife got the seat where she wanted it and now she loves it. She can see well above the average suv and likes the narrowness for parking and maneuvering. We have off roaded our g (even though it is kept in immaculate condition) and it was very capable. We were not sure about long drive comfort but we routinely drive an hour and a half to the lake in the summer and it is very comfy. Even took on a 10 hour drive to visit grandparents and it was surprisingly comfy for me driving. It is a heavy beast and feels like it while driving. But it is what it is. We are not concerned with fuel economy, or high speed cornering. We wanted a car that didn’t look like every other suv out there. We took a 2017 BMW X5 on a weekend trip to try out and immediately missed the g. It’s not about having every creature comfort, it’s about having what feels like a solid workhorse under you. We also had a bench seat custom made for the cargo area complete with headrests and seatbelts and can fit 5 kids and two adults in the g. Worth every penny. Also those pennies will stay shiny because this thing doesn’t depreciate like most every other lux suv.

2004 G500
By Thai

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great SUV. Just the right size for off-roading. Built like a tank or bank vault. Nothing else on the road like it. The locking diffs and compact size are what put this SUV above everything else not named Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Interior space is surprisingly good, but a bit narrow. This applies to the cargo area too. Interior design is very old, but the materials and fit & finish are first rate (and appropriate for price). Storage space is at a premium though. Stereo is pretty good when you play CDs, not so good with radio. Leather is top-notch...after 50k miles, no signs of creasing! (This is in contrast to my brother's LX470's leather.)

Pure off-road ability. Built like a tank. Feels secure like a bank vault. Very rust proof. High seating with big windows. High quality interior. Unique exterior...attracts attention (good or bad). Rear parking sonar is a big help...a must have! Harman Kardon stereo is pretty good for CDs.

Radio reception should be better. Interior design is pretty old...some things seem like an after-thought. Better wind suppression due to brick wall styling. Side curtain airbags (in '05-up models) should not be roll-over sensing due to this truck's main focus (off-roading).

The old new G
By Dave

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This truck look awesome and when you behind the wheel you feel on top of the world.But it unfortunately from day one since we got our beloved G we had nothing but problems and frustrations. This car does have all problems in the world. Everything went wrong from door locks; number of computer modules, main computer, heated steering, ESP and airbags system to the most resent-paint was coming off on all door latches.Its been in the shop 4 months in the past 2 years and has about 38 pages of problem record. Dealer’s service department was trying to help but this truck was having more and more problems. Finaly Mercedes taking this car back as lemon after 2 years.I would not recomend it at all.

Truck itself

Better quality control... Dealers mechanics better learn how to fix this truck.

Don't compare this vehicle to others
By Ciro

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I read other reviews and laughed. They
expect a square vehicle to be quiet and
get good mpg, not. I bought this
vehicle because of it's actual
ruggedness and the fact that it's a
military vehicle in Germany. In other
words, a German Hummer. I got exactly
what I expected an more. A very tough
vehicle with some luxury appointments.
Interior noise is minimal for a
square vehicle. It handles like a
truck, as it should, since it weighs as
much a a large pick-up truck. Gas
mileage is actually not that bad if you
don't use the 292hp all the time. I've
averaged 19mpg in the highway @ 55mph
and as high as 17mpg in the city if
your light on the gas. But stomp on the
pedal and it drinks the fuel.

I love the feeling of safety. The sure- footedness it possesses. The elevated view to see traffic ahead. The ability to ford deep water. I live in florida where 3 hurricanes have just passed. During the worst part of the storm I stayed in my G wagon, 'cause if the roof fell, I would be safe in my G.

This is a heavy-duty truck made for serious abuse if the situation called for it, and what does every heavy duty truck have: a diesel engine. Why they didn't put a diesel engine in this vehicle I don't know. I would trade mine in today if they made one with a diesel. That would be a perfect GD500

g500 solid and safe
By f40chuck

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

solid and safe feeling truck.great
visability makes parking easy.strong
motor and outstanding brakes.overall is
a tight solid and safe vehicle.

high seat position.powerful motor. tight steering box. great brakes.

more comfortable back seats. more cargo room and/or third row seating.longer wheelbase.