Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Very pleased!
By Chuckgap

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

It seems that owners either love or hate this vehicle. One on line site claimed it was in the top 10 vehicles that are cheaper than they look. I think this conclusion is totally unwarranted. Traded for our CX-9 when we became grandparents. Bought the Grand touring and yes the navigation system is old tech and needed upgrading. The ride is smooth and quiet even with the 20 inch wheels. The front seats are very comfortable as is the second row, third row is tight as in most similar vehicles. My brother has a BMW X5 and I will compare rides any day. I have had no problems with the transmission as it shifts smoothly and we get 20.7 miles per gallon - lot's of highway miles and small city so in heavy traffic I am sure it would be less. Uses regular gas which is a plus. Bought a hitch carrier to improve storage as we haul 2 adults, 2 car seats and a 40 pound dog. I have owned multiple Mazdas and have always been satisfied. I recommend this vehicle but would drop down to the touring edition and either use a smart phone or Buy a GPS add on!

Bad transmission / torq. conv. & NHTSA: Bad brakes
By atom88

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2013 CX-9. Since we've owned it the torque converter and new transmission were completely faulty and replaced, the brake booster, lower control arms (and now front ball joint). The brake booster problem has existed on other Mazda vehicles dating back to 2003 (over 10 years). in 2012 Government investigated problems of leaking master brake cynlinders of 2008 Mazda CX-9. NHTSA already investigated the 2010-2011 CX-9's and Mazda "extended the warranty" on those vehicles. What about the 2013 CX-9's? Why was the problem not yet remedied on the 2013? I have COMPLETELY lost confidence in the Mazda brand: brakes, transmission and steering. It's a great vehicle, but what good is a vehicle if you cannot stop or steer or have power to the transmission? Safety should be FIRST priority and MAZDA has failed miserably with these issues (especially brakes). The brake booster was supposedly "fixed" under warranty, The next day the orange wrench mechanic light illuminated on the dashboard and cruise control broke. It turns out the brake booster was still faulty. We took it back and they have supposedly "fixed it this time". This is the 3rd major repair of this vehicle and it is now less than 3 years old! I do not think I would buy another Mazda again.

Awesome Ride
By Sharon Gentles

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Disappointing Investment
By Robert

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I leased a 2008 CX9 Grand Touring for two years then purchased it. At first I was pleased with the vehicle then the issues start. At approximately 50,000 miles I lost my brakes, seems it was a power bust unit. I had clients in my car when it happened. I contacted Mazda and was told there was nothing they could or would do about a potential safety issue. In fact the representative bordered on rude. Since I then the bluetooth unit stopped working, I was quoted around $1,300 to repair. For no apparent reason periodically when I turn off the car the a/c fans start. Also when the wipers are set on auto on a dry sunny day the wipers start. Mazda had no answer for these issues My mechanic tells me it sounds like a wheel bearing is wearing - never had that issue with any other car. The key fobs are held together with tape so the keys don't fall out. The majority of these issues started when the car had roughly between 50,000 and 60,000 miles. I did contact Mazda and was told I was on my own. The issues continue, the rubber button on the door lock as fallen out this no longer works. Can't even imagine what this would cost to repair. Over mechanically it's not bad but I would say poor in the area of fit and finish.

I have owned two Toyotas both went well over 200,000 miles without any real issues except general maintenance and an Acura that I traded in at 200,000 miles (unfortunately on the Mazda). I hold no hope the Mazda will come close to this type of reliability.

Buy a Pilot or Highlander
By Brant

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to my earlier review. Do not buy this car. Yes it handles and accelerates well and is roomy and fairly fun to drive. Downsides are manifold. Compared to the 2009 CX9 I owned: The 2013 continues with poor gas mileage in a range of 12 mpg to 20 mpg. The sheet metal is thinner hence the car easily picks up dings. The NAV system is useless so I don't use it. The transmission has a mind of its own. It is rough and clunks and bangs when shifting to drive at times. It downshifts randomly when tapping the brakes. The front brake rotors have warped so the brakes pulsate dramatically. One on the key fobs has already died. The central locking system is unintuitive and frustrating. I am generally a Mazda fan but they decided to cheapen this car. There are a lot of good cars on the market today and these named flaws are unacceptable.