Used 2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (95 reviews )

Constant Comments
By G. Vanella

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased car with 30k miles, now 102k miles. Love the car, constantly get positive comments about styling, both exterior and interior. I’m 76 years old and my wife and I feel young when we’re out with the top down. When the grandkids were young they loved the back seat. I can get 1 set of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down and 2 sets with the top up. Other than normal repair, the only exception was a new radio, $800. Since Lexus stopped making this model it gets more special each year; going to keep it until it stops running. Really sorry that Lexus gave up this product line to Mercedes and BMW.

Nice Car
By Michael D

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Have been driving Toyota/Lexus since first Corolla in 1986. Have also driven Camry, Highlander, Prius and ES330 models. Very happy with all. Purchased this 1-owner clean carfax SC430 model with 109k in October 2014 for not a lot of money. Now at 140k in August 2018 and not a peep out of it from a mechanical standpoint. Got rid of the run flat tires quickly, as the ride with them is much too firm. Happy with all season radials although no spare on board. The styling is timeless. The wife loves it. Ride is and remains smooth, quiet and polished. And with the top down we tend to smile more. Many still mistake the car as new --- at 15-years-old now --- and consequently me as a rich man. Neither is the case. Only drawback is it's a little hard for me to get into and out of with its low stance, but that's likely due to my increasingly creaky bones and not an inherent isssue with the car itself. Would not hesitate to purchase one if the law of attraction happens to bring a nice one to your attention! 🚗

in 2013 still turns heads
By mrcongeniality

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

These cars were so ahead of there time in 2002. It is a great car overall and for a used convertible this is the best value you can get for a used convertible under 15k (2002 to 2004 used ones). Do not use in snow at all. Not even once inch it will crash.
My friend who had one told me this.
It drives smooth and refined and its reliable. If you buy
a German used convertible you'll spend a lot in repairs. You won't with this. I don't have the run flats but I hear they
are a problem.

The top is up and down in 25 seconds.

The gorgeous interior, the navigation system is fast, head turner, the leather and quality of the interior, the dual climate control, the backseats are useful if you are buying stuff and they give the driver more room, as long as you don't have the spare tire the trunk is decent enough for 3 backpacks or so, the Mark Levinson sound system rocks, the memory seats are a nice touch too. Heated seats are nice and it gets you noticed.

It is heavy at 3800 pounds and not very fast or sporty. who cares though its a luxury cruiser. Gas mileage is so so about 20 mpg but in 2002 gas was 1.50 a gallon. The seat belts are a bit far back I feel. The cup holders are too shallow I won't even use them for fear of spilling a drink. They needed to add more technology to these as time went on. My 2007 Prius has a backup camera this was never an option in any years or models. Replace run flats with regular 18 inch tires. rims are funky looking on the 2002 to 2004 but I like the weirdness. Also it should tell you when you need an oil change it doesn't give you enough information about the cars maintenance.

Great Car! but Expensive Repairs!
By Stunt Jay

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Runflat tires do cause a bit of hard ride. I hit a pothole without seeing it and it bent the rim very easily. Dealer wanted $600 for just the rim. I average 18 MPG as it stated I would. No big deal coming from a Tundra with 13 MPG. Convertible parts are very expensive. Overall I do enjoy driving the car alot and will probably keep it until it dies out on me. I haven't had any major mechanical issues at all with the car.

Hideaway navigation and CD player. Hard top convertible. 288 HP Engine.

My suggested improvements have already been made on the newer models except for one. A/C vented seats!!!

A Dream Car
By Jay

2003 Lexus SC 430 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 SC430 with 50k miles on it for $20,000. Everything is immaculate on this car, always serviced when needed. The drive does have that sport car ride to it due to the low profile RFT's. The sound system sounds amazing although it is very expensive to replace just 1 speaker at $320. The rear seats (golf bag holder) are useless for people to sit in. The trunk surprisingly does have decent space when the top is up. Being that the model is still the same as of 2010. I will upgrade some of the standard parts to the newest style.

Hard Top Convertible & Mark Levinson sound system.

Upgrade to the LED tail lights, Install the new 9.1 navigation software & install K&N air filter.