Used 2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Def not a 4Runner
By Dan

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Owned 3rd gen and 4th gen 4runners, this is nothing like them. I've rented the newest 4Runner on a week long trip and this is nothing like that vehicle. I have owned a Nissan Xterra and a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I've also owned MANY fast sports cars. My family's kiddo count just went from 2 kids to 5...we had TRIPLET boys 7 months ago. While we hardly ever need to haul all children in one vehicle BUT the Sienna I bought my wife got stuck in gear in a parking lot one day because the shifter cable from cabin to transmission broke by way of retainer bushing failure (not the cable itself). My fast car was a BMW M3 at that time. So, I made two trips in that car to take the wife and kids back home while AAA took the sienna back to our house so that I could install a new corrected cable/bushing from Toyota. I work nights and had to work the following night so I put the vehicle work off for 3 days. Wife was not happy that we were down to a single cab pickup (used to haul our dirtbikes to the mottocross track) and my M3. So, here we are...I traded my coveted M3 for this Lexus GX 470. I want to cry, but let me tell you this GX 470 will make those tears a bit smaller and will perhaps even allow them to run dry a bit faster too. See this thing rides like a dream on the highway and I was watching videos of them off-roading before I decided on it vs a ton of othe SUV's I could have bought. I took the GX 470 to the freakin' motocross track and it got around a DIRTBIKE track (at low speeds granted) like nobody's business. My 4runners would have MAYBE made it, the Xterra may have made it, but I honestly kinda doubt they would. What I do know with no doubt at all is that this crazy Lexus SUV made it around that track and some of those jump faces are 15' formidable, steep, inclines. To be honest I kinda wanted this vehicle to pay a price...I had to sell my M3 to get it. I didn't bash it but I was kind of telling it "you had better be what I expected or else"....it was what I expected and then some. Can't go wrong with this thing. I considered Land Cruisers, Escalade ESV's, LX 470, and GX 460...I know the escalade sounds way off beat but they're kinda cool.

This is the one!
By Mr. Waffles

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say about this 4runner's brother and FJ cruiser's cousin in a suit and tie. I've owned about 3 cars in the past year hoping to find the one that I'd own for a while after my last car was totaled. I finally came across this one and I think this one is a winner. I like a good highway cruiser and typically only looked for long wheelbase (used) luxury sedans. However, after being bitten by the adventurous offroading bug thanks to my friends, I caved and had to have something with offroading capability. This one popped up at a dealership as I was trading in my M5 and immediately jumped at the opportunity. The water pump was leaking (dealership replaced for me) but considering it still had the original pump and t-belt at 152k I knew this one would warn me well in advance before I need worry about being stranded on the side of the road or giving me unnecessary stress as to whether it would start in the morning. MPG is... well.... it's a V8 truck. You don't buy these and expect anything better than 16-18 mpg (What I get). Ride is comfortable as can be as expected. Off roading capabilities are extraordinary and can definitely hang with others on the trail. Haven't had a problem yet with the running boards. Might have to push it harder to scratch them. I tend to take the less daring way off road. Have 5 seats more than usually needed, but the cargo space I can't do without. You can feel the beasts weight in the corners but again, it's an truck. Probably should stop driving it like one of my old cars. One thing I do like is the torque from a stop. Again it isn't sports car fast, but oh man does it get up and go. With 152k, I'm waiting for the air suspension to bite the dust, but knowing Lexus/Toyota reliability, that will be a while I hope. Overall, I think I've found the truck I will keep for a while.

Unsurpassed Quaility and Off Road Capabilities
By LC Prado

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded up from a FJ Cruiser to this. In short, it's an amazingly comfortable SUV that excels at off road performance. Based on the Land Cruiser Prado sold pretty much everywhere else in the world except the US (think sand dunes and the bush), this truck is NOT a pimped out 4Runner. The full time 4WD, V8, rear air suspension, build quality, comfort and reliability combined make this rig unsurpassed for those who venture beyond the mall. These trucks are often referred to as out of date dinosaurs, and are compared to their unibody competitors who may outperform in terms of drivability and road manners; but this truck is built for towing, adverse driving conditions, and off-road capabilities while maintaining superior daily driver comfort for the whole family. If that’s not what you need, then look elsewhere. If it is, then look no further, spend a little extra up front, and drive it for another 200k miles. The KDSS version will decrease road body roll and improve off-road capabilities, as well, but they are hard to find. Not so great features include: limited 3rd row seating space and comfort, high (but rare) repair costs, fuel efficiency, styling (face it, it's ugly front most angles), and rear door.

Great SUV,But...
By carenthusiast7

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV it's very good with plenty of space unless you have a family or carrying more than 5 people, then some issues arise. The third row isn't exactly spacious and kids will fight for the mid row to avoid the third. Gas mileage is self explinatory since it runs on a V8. Power is plenty when you need it on highways and even after years, the GX is still fairly quiet even with a V8. All in all, it is a great SUV, just be prepared for gas trips and the questionable third row.

The GPS and extra electronics make this SUV even more comfortable. The resale value is also fairly high for this SUV as opposed to others which is also another plus.

Just drive more gentely on this SUV if you want to save gas is all and a family of six is probably the maximum if you are looking fo an SUV such as this anymore and I suggest looking for a van.

Love my Lexus
By Linda

2008 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2008 Lexus GX470 2 weeks ago with just 7500 miles. I love this car! I previously drove an Acura MDX and this vehicle is so much more comfortable. The ride is smooth and there is no road noise at all. My only issue: my Blue tooth. I can hear perfectly but no one seems to hear me! Hopefully, this can be fixed. If you enjoy an SUV but yearn for the smooth ride of a luxury sedan, consider this model!

Seat comfort, navigation system, stereo system and air ride.

Blue Tooth not clear, add storage compartments in vehicle. Should offer XM radio for the price.