Used 2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Versatile car, fun to drive
By Mary Brezinski

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 104K miles, so I can't give a full review. It had two previous owners before me, and, I believe that if I had owned it from the beginning, it would be in better shape now. For instance, it was not garaged, which led to my biggest problem with it: rust. Unbeknownst to me, who was new to the snowy midwest!, this car had incipient rust (over the rear tires) that I would have been able to detect if I had known what I was doing. Despite my efforts to control it, it has only gotten worse and, well, rust is hopeless. The car has taken to burning oil without an obvious explanation: it doesn't smell or leak but it just disappears between by regular 3,000/mile oil changes, if I have taken a long road trip or if I do a lot of highway driving. Now that it needs new tires and new front brakes, I'm going to buy a new car because it just doesn't seem worth the investment. As far as I can tell, it has no resale value whatsoever. That said, I liked the peppiness of this car, especially the manual transmission. I like the spacious back compartment. I'm not super picky about cars: I mainly want them to turn on when I put the key in, but I really enjoyed the ride of this one, the convenience of the hatchback, and the spaciousness of the cargo area. I replaced the back brakes at 120,000 and the fronts are just now in need of replacement.

185,000 Miles!! ***UPDATED*** 210,000 miles!!
By Chad Stevens

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 2nd owner of this car. Bought it in 2013 with 160,000 miles for 3k. The car's exterior was in reasonable condition, minor wear and tears,dents and dings. Mechanically she was sound. After a few thousand miles, the radio went, Clutch went, brake caliper froze up, replaced the timing belt.
However, at 160,000 miles those items are expected to be replaced. Since then, everything has been great, except the transmission synchronizers are starting to fail. I still use this car as my daily driver, and commute my daily 48 miles. To date i have 186,458 miles on it. Not bad for KIA. I may just buy another when this one finally decides to rest. And for sake of argument, i drive very spirited.

***Update*** Up to 210,000 miles. a small section of my exhaust rusted off, replaced it for $100. No other mechanical failures yet!!

Reliable, good handling, low mantainance, fun.
By kingwong234

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own one since 2005, after 8+ years, 220,000km it still running great! I'll make it 30kkm+. Changed oxygen sensor last year, new stunt, changed front bearing half year age; brake and rotor.... Never down, just oil change and the timing belt. Cd player fail after 2 yrs, got a new one for free.
Cheap but comfort and quiet. Small outside big inside, big leg room.
Fun to drive, not the best for gas.
Want to find a better car after this one, may be a Camry or KIA again.

Traction control.

what a car for 12,500
By yankee1957

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought the car with 12,000 miles on it in 2006. We have really run this car. 140,000 and just oil changes ,tires, batt, and t belt regular required
up keep. sits great in front needs more padding in back. 34-36 mpg to florida. window swithes could you some work also but for a cheap car can't complain about it. If I buy another it would be sorento; just like them and the dealership at tullahoma tn was great haven't seen them much but always helpful. Just drive it you will like it

More Pros than Cons
By miandyv

2005 Kia Spectra Wagon Spectra5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 years, 88,298 mls.
Purchased for $14,750. Pros: negotiated a very good deal with dealer, inexpensive maintenance, excellent in snow, excellent maneuverability on city streets and highway, spacious interior (my husband is 6 ft 5 in and my son is 6 ft 7 in) both can sit comfortably inside the car (we rode trip alot in the Kia).
Now, here are the Cons: poor quality on interior and exterior components - paint peeling and chipping at less than 24,000 mls.
Dealership does not want to remedy the problem, glove compartment fell off it's hinges (barely ever opened), Kia logos have unexpectedly fell off, steering wheel tilt handle fell off, hoods props came apart, trunk hooks fell off

Low car payment, Spacious interior, Inexpensive maintenance

The Kia is a mechanically sound car, the interior and exterior components need to be of better quality: such as better quality paint on car and windshield wipers; Kia logos, hood props, cushions and trunk hoods need a stronger bond of glue, change the elements that cause the speedometer to inconsistently work