2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Renegade model:

Cheap parts , unreliable service
By James

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

DON'T DO IT! I owned my Renegade for a year- commuting to and from work - a couple short road trips - nothing crazy. I don't race or take this car off road. Then the clutch gave out - with less than 11000 miles on it. I had bought the car with several warranties on it - only to learn that the clutch isn't covered at all under any of them. Also after shopping around to get the work done I learned that its such a poorly made part that no other shop will touch it since they can't guarantee the work. so now I'm being grossly over charged for the work with no other option. - I wouldn't recommend getting this car or working with the people that sell them

Don’t waste your money
By Amber Soock

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The transmission on these cars is complete garbage, acceleration is non-existent, the clunky transmission is constantly jerking between gears, technology is completely obsolete compared to other 2017 base-level trims. Multiple trips to dealer to address transmission clunkiness and their excuse is always that these cars have an “adaptive transmission” that learns how you drive, so if you gun it to merge onto an interstate once, the car will assume you always drive that way. Good try, Jeep. The car looks cool, but performance is shoddy at best.

Renegade
By KellyBo

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love almost everything about this vehicle. The few complaints I have are minor. There are no cup holders for the backseat. The two for the front seat are in the center console and mainly in the way. The center console is positioned too far back to be used comfortably. Other than those things; I love my Renegade :)

My best Jeep yet!
By Forever Jeep

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I found myself suddenly looking for a new car when my 2004 Jeep Liberty was damaged beyond repair in a bad storm! I had not looked at Jeeps in 14 years, and started stressing out about buying a new car! I started test driving different models at my Jeep dealership, and really got excited when I drove the Renegade! This car was so much fun to drive! I decided to buy this model, and I am so glad I did! Everyday is a pleasure in this car! I love everything about it! The details are everywhere! Love the heavy solid feeling of the car, leather wrapped steering wheel (which is smaller than most steering wheels giving it a racecar feeling!), the technology is up to date with rear cameras, UConnect system, keyless entry, information screen, and since I have the 4WD, I can tell when the wheels slow down on steep inclines, and automatically adjust when the weather suddenly turns bad! The wheels auto adjust from front wheel drive on dry flat roads, to 4WD in heavy rain or snow! I am grateful for so many features that help me stay safe, and I enjoy the rugged look of the car design! I can tell the designers had fun with this car, as there are fun things to discover like the keyless starter button says "Here`s to new adventures" on the outside, there is a Sasquatch tiny decal on the rear window, and a Jeep Willy climbing a rock on the front window! I appreciate the Jeep Wrangler/Willy reference in the rear tail light design, too! Some of the other features I love are the large windshield wipers that clear the whole window in front, the sun visors also can be flipped to the side not just in front, and the car sits you up high like my Liberty did, improving the view in front! The Renegade has so many great features and is such a great driving experience, I feel so fortunate to have this car!!!! I truly cannot find a downside to owning this fabulous car!!

Very disappointing
By Robin

2017 Jeep Renegade SUV Sport 4dr SUV (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a 2015 Jeep Renegade sport 1.4; the first new car I have ever, and probably will ever purchase. I purchased this car from Napleton in Elwood City, PA, this is where my terrible experience began. The salesman was not familiar with the vehicle and after expressing how important bluetooth /handsfree abilities were to me, he assured me it was bluetooth capable, even offering to set this feature up for me, I declined at this time as I was capable of doing so myself. It was only after purchasing the car and leaving the dealership that I realized it did not have this amenity. The dealership offered me an inadequate bluetooth adapter and a free detail, during the detail they broke the hood release and did not fix it or even mention it to me. You would understand that i have not and will not return to this dealership. The salesman also did not tell me this car was a turbo, making it a bit more difficult to service, though this was also my fault for lack of research.
I recently had to replace the waste-gate hose. This was a scavenger hunt all on its own. Even with the VIN number, photo of the part within the car and part number, the very helpful parts associate at three rivers chrysler was unable to identify the needed part. It was only after a week of communicating with someone overseas and ordering 3 different parts in hopes of one being correct that we discovered which part it was. It was around this time I started having trouble with my vehicle shifting. After having it completely break down on me on the way home from work, I had it towed to three rivers where they told me I required a new clutch at only 58000 miles. As a person who seeks out manual transmission vehicles exclusively I have become very skilled at driving this type of vehicle. My last 3 manual transmission cars were still in operation at 130000+ miles. I purchased these vehicles used and never had to replace a clutch in any of them (Mitsubishi Lancer, Pontiac G5 and Ford Escort). To replace a clutch at 58000 on a vehicle that was purchased new is astounding to me and suggests a manufacturing or material error. After reading numerous reviews, I see that the clutch is an issue in this specific vehicle across the board. I feel slighted having to pay the cost of a new clutch because my car is not within the basic warranty in such a scenario and find it to be unfair as well as poor customer service. Moreso, I was told that since my car is outside of warranty I was responsible for paying for ECU updates. The customer is expected to pay for aftermarket updates to the computer?