Used 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi
By Mark Anderson

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in Feb 2018 as the 2nd owner with 195,000 miles. Previous owner drove the car nearly 20K/ year and obviously garaged the car for the majority of its life. Prior to taking delivery the car required rear end work which was included within my purchase price and the car needed a new cat and o2 sensors. I also was able to negotiate 16 new spark plugs and new brake pads all around. My purchase price including the work listed, $5,500. I like this truck a lot, the HEMI has amazing power but that comes at a price at the pump... be warned you aren't buying an economy car as i'm averaging 14 city / 18 highway. But... this truck moves! Tight suspension, smooth transmission, and the engine runs perfectly. Chaise is rock solid with no rust or noticeable wear. Being in the mid-west the winters must have been brutal on this truck considering the miles driven. This Jeep was a bargain. I'm not fooling myself, i expect to have problems as the car's now has 208K, but i paid very little for a nice looking solid truck and as with every Jeep i have owned 200K is just warmed up. i highly recommend this model year Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Overland with the HEMI is a great upgrade if you are looking to save money and want a rugged on-road and off-road SUV.

Don't buy one
By Billy

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Engine seized at 77,000 with all scheduled maintenance.

Gift to myself
By NeeCeeB

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased car for its looks! The Hemi engine didn't mean a thing to me but apparently it does to my fiance! He was impressed with the engine, the smoothness of the ride, the comfort and the fact that every other Jeep we see- does not compare to it in looks. Take it in for regular maintenance. So far- just have to replace the battery (Engine light came on- diagnostic said the battery need to be replaced, which I knew but was told the battery had nothing to do with the engine light). I know my truck. It may be a bit more expensive maintenance and parts but well worth it. Another downfall for me is- the instructions to add music, pictures via usb are not clear- still working on it. JGC is great, oh....just a side note, watch your speed. I find myself ready to race everybody!!

4.7l GC Limited
By Brandon

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Check the transmission and for water leaks through the sunroof drains. I haven't had any major issues with the Jeep. All the maintenance has been kept up to date and I think that makes a huge difference. The gas mileage is not great. I average 18.8 mixed city and hwy but mostly city. Its not horrible but nothing great. The truck interior looks great to me. I love the stereo. The infotainment works great. The steering feels great. I think it rides pretty well on the hwy and is just the right size to whip around. Plenty of storage space especially when you drop the back seats. It has plenty of power but you have to floor it to get into it as the transmission will hold you back. I drive in TOW mode when I am in a hurry. I have put about 6k miles on this Jeep since I bought it.

My 3 for 1 Diesel Grand Cherokee
By Gregg P.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD to replace a 2 seat GT DOHC 4V V8 convertible, a full size van used primarily for towing and my daily driver. I wanted a car that would be fun to drive, be good in snow, tow a 3,200 lb. camper and get good fuel economy. So far (4k miles, 4 months of ownership) I am very pleased with this SUV. The 3.0L Mercedes CRD engine and trans represent the best of MB components that were shared with Chrysler. I purchased a very well engineered tune that improves fuel economy and reliability while matching the power and torque of the current crop of 3.0L diesel SUVs (255 HP, 455 lb-ft). The acceleration with the tune is impressive and effortless; this torque is significantly more than the hot rod SRT Hemi V8 in the 2008 GC and peaks about 3,000 RPM sooner. I'm still on my first tank after the tune; most users claim a 2-4 MPG improvement. My baseline economy is 21 MPG overall (50/50 mix of city/hwy driving) which is decent for my heavy foot. The most surprising aspect is the handling; it is a lot of fun to power through the turns with this large SUV. The full time 4WD makes the front tires help pull it through the corners. It's not meant to be a "G" machine but Car and Driver magazine said it can stay with well driven sports sedans in the corners. It has a very comfortable ride and an attractive interior with a nice sized sunroof and all the features of a luxury vehicle (the 2008 Limited interior has notable improvements over the 2007 model). The biggest problem I had was finding a nice one with the options I wanted at a reasonable price (they only made about 2,000 2008 CRDs so they are fairly rare - low mileage units approach the cost of a 2-3 year old VM diesel equipped current generation GC). I bought mine with 120k miles; some say it is barely broken in. My tuner said a Sprinter van he tweaked (it has the same basic CRD engine/trans as the GC) now has 700k miles on it with no rebuilds. I hope to drive my Jeep to at least the 250k mile point. The biggest compliment I can pay it is that it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it whether it's confidently plowing through 8" of snow, out-accelerating a BMW or hustling through the turns on my favorite back roads. All this and a 7,200 lb towing capacity.