Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Former Subaru owner
By Scott "diesel" Flurer

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Look for a rust free example. I wanted one that was not molested. Minor things are worn out or broken,but no big deal. I have invested in a 4.5 inch lift kit as ALL the suspension was original and worn out. Gauges are a little twitchy but functional. MUCH more power than my Forester and more room also. I like the option of 2WD,Part time 4 WD,4 WD and 4WD low range. Went with the 4.5 lift to fit the 32/11.50-15 tires I bought for it. My son has been buying,fixing,selling and 4 wheeling these Jeeps for years and he finally talked me into one 3 weeks ago. Choice of parts is much larger compared to my subie. Now I just have to wait for a warmer day to install my stash of new parts (lift kit,turbo exhaust,brake upgrade to rear disc)

Love This Vehicle, But I Have So Many Issues
By Jarett H.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

CHECK EVERYTHING! Run the A/C full blast while letting the vehicle idle and watch the temperature and oil pressure, as well as idle RPM. Check the AUX cooling fan to be sure it works, it doesn't come on until the engine reaches 218 degrees F. Check the valve cover, oil pan, and other gaskets and seals. Check for corrosion on any part inside of the engine compartment as this could very well be a sign of potentially serious damage that will lead to expensive repairs. I paid $2500 for my Jeep in 2014, it is now worth about $1300 if I tried to resell it and I have put nearly $1500 into it in repairs with another $1000 for parts and labour just on the engine alone. Not to mention the horrible condition of the suspension, brakes, missing hardware, and quite a few other issues. But I do love the car enough to actually not mind all too much putting money into it because when I am done with all these repairs it will be one hell of a vehicle and last another 200000 miles.

17-years and 339K miles
By T. Scott

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2001, this is the 3rd Jeep Cherokee owned and the best, as by 2001 the Cherokee had enjoyed purposeful improvements and technical upgrades. Still on the original inline six engine and 4A transmission. The 4.0 seems to tend to leak and this one started dripping oil (never measurable) at 170K, but initially a valve cover gasket solved the first occurrence. Oil changes every 3k-5k miles. The typical O2 and cam position sensors in first few years of service, but not since repaired. A computer at 318K, and normal wear items as expected, including the AC compressor at 170K, radiator at 200K, heater core at 250K. Brake rotor warping solved by mechanic's choice of replacements by 2003. Lots of torque and smooth run at highway speeds. Nimble in town. Excellent stock solid axle 4WD capability. Have driven through many on/off road conditions that stopped other vehicles. Have been up to the axles in mud, up icy hills on the road when others stopped making headway, waded through flooded streets (safely) in bumper-deep water when others became stranded and pulled a make-shift plow to break up beaver dams in a creek. Served as neighborhood taxi in snow/ice covered roads with steep hills - no problem with good street/trail tires. Shifts in/out of 4WD easily. It's not trouble-free but its performance and on/off road capability, great stock ground clearance, weight and overall reliability and ruggedness of the drivetrain always outweigh any issues. Keep up with the maintenance, make repairs when needed and it should provide reliable, highly capable stock 4WD on/off road performance with reasonable operating expense. Purchasing this year/model/configuration with well over 200K miles that has been maintained properly should not be a concern. Parts are readily available and generally not too costly. Abundant aftermarket parts/accessories. Still on original paint/clear coat, carpet and seat covers, all of which are in remarkably good condition. Still 17-19 mpg city, 20-25 mpg highway. Still commuting 300+ miles/week. Other than driver's door speaker, all other electrical items still function as when new.

Great car in the snow!
By Swooz

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My car is 15 years old now, with a lot of miles on it, and has lost some of its power going up in the mountains...acceleration power is limited...

Hi-N-Low desert runner
By steve citron

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

While I love my car, mine does not have cruise control. Since I live so far away from a metropolitan area, I need to travel a good distance to shop, and to get other services like medical, dental, cleaners, and food. It sometimes is hard to keep my speed down, as it wants to travel at speed, and I do not always want to do that. The speed limit out here in the desert is 65, but sometimes I find the speed creeping up to over 75!! So, I guess you must be vigilant to watch your speed out in the highways. I have had my Jeep for 13 years, and have over 120,000 miles, not ONE major repair, and I am able to do simple service easily like oil change, filters, air and transmission filters, even spark plugs. so my car has been absolutely trouble free. I am on my 3rd set of tires, and just replaced them last summer at over 48,000 miles! My three dogs love riding in it too!
I also own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, and I wish it were as trouble free.