Used 2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Awesome Value! Got A Lot For My Cash
By Genette T

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased this car two years ago to replace a new 2016 Civic, that I found to be too small, with seats that didn't support well and uncomfortable on very long drives. If you have ever owned a Camry, this is the Korean version of one. The less exciting things are. 1) The 2.4L engine is rather tepid, if you think you are going to make burn-out marks on the street, you will be wrong. It kind of eases into highway traffic and you have to stomp on it (it will scream at you when you do), to get some good merging on a very busy and loaded highway. However, for regular surface streets, it accelerates well enough. Handling also is kind of on the sloppy side, so if you whip it around a corner at high speed, don't be surprised if it tries to whip you back. In other words, it gets a little bit floaty and may not go exactly where you point it. It will eventually settle down. Tire grip is okay, but the Kumho tires on it are not as quiet as some BF Goodrich's that I've used on other cars. They will be replaced by Pirelli's or BF Goodrich's. So, you wonder why I purchased it? I knew about the handling and tracking because I've rented this vehicle several times. The first reason is fuel economy. This car when driven continuously on the highway at around 70mph, gets about average 34 to 36 miles per gallon. Even in mix traffic, I very seldom get less than 32 mpg. In a 250 mile drive recently, where I had it cruising at 65mph, the car achieved, 39.75 miles per gallon. For a car that can easily handle four adult passengers, or 5 passengers with kids in the back, that is phenomenal. It is a very quiet cruiser, on very long drives there is not a lot of noise intrusion, which can increase driver fatigue. The entertainment system is very simple to use, with large fonts and nice size push buttons for phone, media, radio, blue-tooth and the like. It also works very well with my Android phones. The visibility behind the steering wheel is excellent to the front, sides and the rear. The trunk is very large and you can throw a lot of stuff into it. Also, the layout inside is simple and the quality of the materials is decent. Most important was the price. Getting the Sports model with twin exhausts (that make it look sporty, even though it is not), LED daytime running lights, the darker chrome in the front and then putting dark, tinted windows on it. Well, it looks like a design that although a little bit boring, well still look good in 6 years. At just over $21K, none of the other mid-size (large mid-size) cars could match it for the equipment and features One more thing, I have had no real issues with this vehicle at all and I'm at 39,000 miles. The entertainment system went weird after two months of purchase. Hyundai ordered me a radio, received it and installed it in about a week. It still has another 20,000 on the bumper to bumper warranty and more than a 100,000 on the powertrain.

Value Style and Comfort - What a Trifecta!!
By Chris

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I test drove a 2015 Sonata when my girlfriend at the time was looking at cars and fell in love with the car - so when my car died in late 2017, I bought my 2016 Hyundai Sonata SE PZEV. It was a rental car, so it has 48,000 miles, but looks new, feels new, and drives like new! I paid $12,900 for the car, and haven't given it a second thought - I get over 40MPG on flat highway at 59mph in the Eco mode, and when I want to kick it up a for sport driving, the Sport mode gives me incredible performance, and 38mpg - cant beat it! 7in touch screen with Apple Car play or Android Connect works flawlessly. I am hooked.
**Update 4/13/18 - After owning the car for 6 months, a few things are worth noting. The car gets great mileage on the road, 38-44mpg, but town driving has been at 23mpg - of course I drive aggressive. The car handles very good, and continues to be very comfortable. I would buy it again. Now have 55k on the clock.

After One Month of Use
By ken bukowski

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm impressed with the vehicle. I am an Uber driver, and it handles all the situations very well. There are a few problems. The first one is you cannot charge your cell phone or use accessories if the vehicle is turned off. I find it very annoying when I want to charge my phone. Another problem is the steering wheel obstructs the visibility of the gas gauge. I ran out of gas yesterday and it almost happened several times. another issue is once you conne t your phone to the android system there isn't any way to delete the information or the app. if i don't turn off bluetooth on my phone all my calls are on the car system

I would drive 2000 miles, I would drive 2000 more!
By PapaVanTwee

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was packing up the family and heading to New York/New Jersey for vacation. I decided to rent a car, since both of my cars are older. I was given a base model in blue, a very stunning blue too! Let me get the bad things out of the way, because they are minor. While the seats are comfortable, the center stack infringes into the driver space right where my knee would like to go. The car has great cruise control, and lights in the instrument cluster to tell you when it is on and when it is set. The car also has a great information screen in the middle of that cluster. While that screen shows changes for wiper speed, wiper intermittent speed, gear selection, and probably a couple other things I'm missing, it doesn't tell you what speed you set the cruise to. It seems like this would be easy, so I thought it odd that it didn't. And what is it with cars and the high setting on the HVAC fan? A car this quiet should not have a fan this loud. Otherwise the car was great for the almost 2000 miles we drove it. It was quiet, the ride was smooth, road noise was minimal even when the fan was not on high. The stereo system was basic, and the screen was small, but information on it was easy to read. I paired my phone (and made sure to delete it when done) and it worked well as a hands-free system. I don't think music worked through Bluetooth, but I had my charging cable with me anyway, and using it "docked" my iPhone, and the music played through that. Sound of the stereo was great. Local radio stations, even in the mountains, was good. It had XM, and only in the mountains did we have problems with signal. The trunk swallowed all we put in it, although I had to use my Tetris skills since we brought so much. My car had 3 driving modes, Eco, Sport and "" (nothing showed on the dash). I kept it in Eco, and while it would have to search for a gear when I needed to get up and go (it would be in or near that gear in sport) acceleration once that was sorted was really good. Dispatching left lane hogs on the highways of Pennsylvania was easy, a blip of the throttle and a few seconds, and I could jump from 55 to 80. Overall, a really good car, I was sad to see it go at the end. I finished with about 30mpg (miles/gallons, not from the computer), at an average speed of 45 mph (from the computer). My highway stints got me 36.5 mpg from Indy to New Jersey, and an amazing 40 mpg on the way back on a flatter route. In mixed driving I still got 26 mpg.

Riding comfy
By Kim Skidmore

2016 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great car for the price! This is the first Hyundai I've ever owned and I am pleasantly surprised by how comfortable, roomy, and affordable that it is to drive. I will definitely but another Hyundai down the road.