Used 1995 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

$736 - $1,894

Used Sonata for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Better than expected...

Pinkfire, 03/03/2002
4dr Sedan

I purchased this Sonata new. It had a five-speed, A/C and no other power options. The first repair was at 97K, for a new clutch. At 125K, maintenance has included a timing belt every 60K, rebuilt starter and alternator, new water pump, etc. Dealer service went down hill when my local dealer changed hands. The second timing belt service was vastly overpriced, and several non-factory parts were used.

Hyundai Sonata

paul the driver, 08/12/2003
GL V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car at aroudn 50,000 miles and now it had 100,000 miles the car performed very well untill about 90,000 and then everythign just started falling apart i spend maybe 3,000 on repairs and currently my transmission only has 3rd gear i will redline on a highway at 90mph i cant take turns at more then 25mph or it will skid out i dont recomend buying a hyundai i would rather have a civic then this car

Impressed

Brudzio, 05/12/2004
GL 4dr Sedan

Bought new and still driving 9 yrs later. Fun to drive, especially at 190km/h. Had front crash at 80 km/h miraculously nothing happened to us, car took all the impact and was severed. Mechanically excellent and snappy. Body mouldings rust inside and swell - had to replace 2 times. Door locks rust & freeze, takes time to get in - can turn the key, however can't open. Hardware falls apart (sunshades, door knobs). Upgraded stereo to Hyundai CD combo - far much better sound. A/C still works well. Fuel tank rusted - had to rebuild. Manual tranny rebuilt in 5th year, wheel bearings noisy. Overall quite positive experience

reliable, but unexciting Sonata II

American in Korea, 05/27/2004
GLS 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law gave me this car with about 100,000 km. It's not the nicest car I've ever driven, but it is VERY reliable. It has never broken down on me. It starts up in the snow and cold no matter what. So far, all I've replaced has been a battery, distributor cap, and plugs. Getting work done on Korean cars in Korea is dirt cheap, so that is a plus. Same problem with power door lock gremlins. They lock and unlock on their own all the time. When I get out without my keys, I make sure to roll down the window first! It has 155,000 km. (nearly 100,000 mi.) on it now and should be strong for much more.

not a lemon

sonata user, 03/28/2003
GL 4dr Sedan

I had problems with my auto transmission, I did not have the transmission coolant flushed, so it overheated eventually and killed the transmission, bought a new one, still going strong. Had a fault with the auto door locks, sometimes they would lock without warning when I got out of the car, locking my keys in. The brakes have lasted forever on this car, confortable ride even on the worst frost-heaved roads. My only complaint has been expensive parts/ unavailability of parts. Right now I need a valve cover gasket, and none of the dealers can get it for me.