Used 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Santa Fe Sport for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

78,000 miles update; 3+ year update

dallasterrain, 12/30/2013
2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Edmonds asked me to review my car again, so here we are at 5 1/2 years and 78,000 miles. It has been a fantastic car up until now. Suddenly, the engine went! The check engine light came on, the car went into "limp" mode, so I had it towed into the dealership. This evidently is a common problem with Hyundai engines. Not sure if it is only the turbos or not, but the service rep said they see this alot and they had to follow Hyundai's protocol. That meant replacing a wireing harness and some sensor first and if that didn't work, then replace the engine. It didn't work. Hyundai has been great. They paid for the tow, the rental and of course the engine. So far, it has been three weeks. They anticipated up to six weeks. So, we shall see if it comes back fixed. Also, the paint has begun to peel off the nose of the hood. Looks terrible. I'm planning on getting it painted if the engine fix is good. Other than that huge issue, all is well. Still love the car. The ergonomics are perfect for me. The interior still looks very good. Gas mileage is about 22 mpg on average and up to 26 mpg on the highway. I have loved this vehicle and am anxious to get it back. And, yes, I would buy another one! St Just drove from Dallas to Knoxville and back. My turbo was a great cruiser. Very comfortable and quiet. Averaged 25 mpg overall for the trip cruising at about 80 most of the way with it set on ECO. Did a long stint between Memphis and Little Rock going between 70 and 75 and averaged about 27 mpg. They always say if you slow down you get better gas mileage! Not the best gas mileage but love everything else about the vehicle. My brother has a brand new Lexus RX350 and my Sport measures up very favorably to it. Almost the exact same size. The Sport's interior has a nicer layout. The Lexus has a 6 with about 8 more hp and got 22 mpg on their trip. UPDATE: 42,000 miles. Still love my Sport! Not one single problem. Did have to change out the tires at 35K. Nice highway cruiser with plenty of power. Still gets about 22mpg in mixed driving. Can get up to 28 mpg on the highway if I'm going the speed limit. I usually get about 25 going 75 to 85. One of the things I love about this vehicle is its tight turning radius. Makes a big difference and makes it feel smaller. The turbo gives you plenty of power but won't push you back into your seat. The only very minor complaint I have is that the steering is a little slow/loose feeling. Oh, and beware the enormous blind spot. The third back windows are small and sweep up. Nice look from outside but you can't see anything. Get the blind spot warning! I still love everything about this vehicle and will certainly get another one when the time comes!

2014 FWD Santa Fe Sport Homerun

jac2007, 02/03/2014

I took my time and test-drove many cars (Rouge, Murano, RAV4, CRV, CX9) and none came close to the comfort and style of the Santa Fe Sport. I love driving the car, it handles so well I can’t see why anyone else would by any other vehicle.

Best 5 passenger crossover we found

bill317, 06/29/2014

We were looking for a replacement for our SUV, but we didn't need the 3rd row seating. We also wanted something a little smaller, but no smaller than our other vehicle (a CRV). After we cross shopped the RAV4, Rogue, CRV, Escape, Murano, and Pilot we had decided on buying a CRV when we looked at the Santa Fe Sport and were sold after our test drive. It has more leg room and driver comfort than any of the other vehicles we considered. It is every bit as comfortable as our big SUV but is smaller, more economical, and has a better set of features. We have the premium and technology packages, and love the features. We never considered a Hyundai before but are very satisfied with it.

Fully loaded 2.0T is a great value.

shaolin, 02/20/2014

We normally purchase luxury brands but I became really intrigued by the '14 SFS and all of its tech features. We decided to buy a fully loaded one and love it so far (2800 miles in). The amount of tech features is staggering. We also love the looks of the car (exterior and interior). Some friends are surprised we bought a Hyundai, but they change their tune when they see the car. The cargo space is also impressive for a 5-seater. I shopped around for many months but realized no other crossover could beat it in terms of looks, features, performance, and value. I realize Hyundai reliability isn't considered as strong as Honda or Toyota, but I am hoping it lasts a while.

Good Technology and Style for the Price

boxergirl92109, 12/18/2013

I finally upgraded from my 10 year old Eddie Bauer Explorer. I considered the Limited Explorer for a second. It's outrageously priced. I also considered the Honda CRV but the Sante Fe Sport Turbo put it to shame. I felt the additional cost for the Sante Fe was worth it. There were a few surprising luxury features that pushed the Sante Fe Sport 2.0T beyond the the CRV class. Plus the CRV has an ugly boxy back end. The Sante Fe is sleek, fast, easy to drive, and comfortable.

My Black Boy SFS 2.0T

hookedoncars2, 04/19/2014

Purchased two months ago with 1700 miles on it. It is a loaded up version, with tech package, leather, nav, 19" wheels, etc. Now has 4600 miles on it. This is a great SUV, with features comparible to others in its class costing thousands more. Doesn't get the name recognition of others, but I don't care. It rides comfortably and quiet. Gas mileage can be good if you don't drive it like a sports car. Recent road trip over 1100 miles (loaded up, AC running, 70 mph) averaged 27.5. City/suburban averaging 23.8 mpg on regular gas.

Will not honor warranty for engine issues

Adam Sexton, 03/09/2017
4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If your buying a Hyundai based on their warranty, buyer beware. We have purchased 5 new Hyundais in last 9 years, but not anymore. Two year old SUV with 48k miles engine is done and Hyundai will not honor their warranty. Not only not honor it, but have a scheme in place so you cannot get any information, especially anything on why they have denied your claim. Service will send information to Hyundai Motor Company, and will not let you see it. If you want information service makes you call Hyundai Customer Care, who say they can only tell you you are denied, but no details why or any reason. For that you have to contact Hyundai Motor Company, but are told that department does not have a phone or email and can only submit information by mail. You complain to service and demand a reason and something in writing and then the send you back to customer care. Once you call them out on social media they tell you to get your car, or tow it, they no longer want to help.

Great Car in comparison to an Audi Q5

r0l1t0, 06/13/2014

This is a great car for the money, love the roomy interior, the shape of it makes it look upscale. I traded my 2006 BMW X3 for it. looks better than the X3 and is more comfortable too. in comparison to vehicles of its kind like a Honda CRV, or a Toyota Rav4, it is way roomier than them. also in comparison to a much more upscale vehicle like the Audi Q5 seems like got a great bang for the buck. performance wise, installed a K&N filter and now it breathe much better and can hear the turbo spool. also installed running boards from Korean model ordered on ebay. Took a trip from Miami to Key West and gave me 35MPG, because the speeds there are 55 MPH

Warranty not honored

Roland A., 04/07/2017
2.0T 4dr SUV w/Saddle Interior (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After owning four Hyundai's I was shocked when I took my 2013 Santa Fe in for an oil change and to find out why it had reduced power. Even though the vehicle was still under warranty the service department let me know that the repairs to the part causing the problem wouldn't be covered under warranty. When I asked why, I was told because of a lack of maintenance. I offered to provide all of the receipts for maintenance that complied with the manufacturers recommendations and was told that wasn't necessary, they wouldn't honor the warranty anyway. What surprised me even more was the fact that the oil line that caused the problem was under recall and had been replaced during the service - but was told that was unrelated - interesting. Needless to say I had the car towed from the dealership to get a second opinion and was told that based on the maintenance record the damage couldn't have been caused by a lack of maintenance. After serving in the military for 35 years I've never been accused of lying about having maintenance performed. As a military pilot and aircraft owner I can attest to the importance of completing scheduled maintenance. As I stated before I was absolutely shocked when I was told that this wouldn't be covered under the warranty. After being a loyal customer for two decades and owning four (my family has owned about a dozen Hyundai's) you can bet I'll take my business somewhere else. I hope the $2,533.88 in repair costs you tried to save by refusing to honor the warranty was worth flushing my future business....

Loving it!

soybean311, 02/12/2014

I've had my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4L AWD for three weeks now and all I have to say is I'm very happy with it. We just had a snow storm over the weekend in Oregon and this vehicle drove effortlessly without the need for snow chains. The power is adequate, it's comfortable, quiet, and is sleek inside and out. Plenty of room for my kids and storage space. I'm averaging about 23 mpg in mixed driving situations which is comparable to the 2010 Hyundai Tucson my wife had (and it wasn't AWD equipped).

51050