2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Drives like a sports car
By AJS

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I really would have liked a sports car, but that would have been impractical in my circumstances. I needed a 4-door. I also needed sufficient trunk space. My Elantra GT Sport with 6-speed manual is the perfect compromise. The 1.6 engine, 201hp is great and a sports car driver will never be satisfied without feeling the perfect moment to shift for maximum performance in your hands with a stick shift. I do not feel like I settled. Great choice. Very happy.

Update after a 1 year and (20,000 miles)
By Kevin

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I have the 1.6T Elantra GT Sport with the dual clutch transmission which i bought back in August of 2017. Ive since have put 20k miles on the car (yes I drive a lot) and let me tell you, this car to this day still puts a huge smile on my face whenever i get in. This is phenomenal car and an underrated one at that. By far the elantra gt sport out performs all cars it rivals such as, Mazda 3 2.5, Civic Hatchback, and VW Golf to name a few. For 200Hp and 195 Tq im getting excellent mpg about 29 mixed city and hwy. the amenities this car offers is just amazing, and dont get me started on the stock exhaust, sounds like a Subaru Sti. Best part of having this car is that in the 1 year ive had it, i have yet to see another Elantra GT sport model, and i live in Los Angeles where everyone drives. Overall this car is fantastic, if you want to stick out of the crowd get yourself the elantra gt sport.

Cheap Plastic Grill Design Susceptible to Damage
By W. Manning

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Don't buy the 2018 or later Elantra GT before reading this.

Whoever designed the front end of the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT should be fired. There is no solid bumper (like on my 2004 Hyundai Elantra) to protect the cheap, very exposed plastic grill Hyundai put on that thing. As a result, some jerk backed into my car while parking and punched a hole through the plastic grill that is one step above styrofoam in durability.

Now I'm faced with at least a $500 repair (and I live on a fixed income!) because Hyundai designer Peter Schreyer didn't think this product through. I'm annoyed like you wouldn't believe and I think Hyundai owners should know about this incredible design flaw.

It's too late for me, but please don't buy the car until they replace the plastic grill with a hard rubber or carbon fiber product or you'll be paying big money for cosmetic repairs that would have been avoidable with a grill designed for the real world...with a real bumper.

FIRST NEW CAR SINCE 1991
By JIM

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is a new model put out by HYUNDAI, I have only owned it for about six weeks. SO FAR SO GOOD? It is peppy, but not a lot of power --- it will get going from a stop light and it has enough speed to work on a highway. The only problem I have with it so far is that the sensor for the passenger side seat belt is very sensitive. When I put my smart phone or a bag of fast food on the passenger seat --- it sets off the "seat belt not fastened" warning light and signal. Hard to shut off while driving???? BUT --- is has been getting me great gas mileage!!!! The main reason I bought it is because it has a LIFETIME warranty on the HYBRID battery & system. I hate working with NEW CAR dealers --- if it wasn't for the great gas mileage and the lifetime warranty on the HYBRID system --- I most likely would not have purchased it. Ask me in a year or two how the car is working out....

Sporty, Fun, Functional
By MG

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have the 1.6T Sport and the car is a great balance of fun and comfort. The acceleration is strong and in the sport-driving mode with the shifters, you're not going to be disappointed. The ride is tight but not overbearing - smiles around every curve. Everyone who gets in the car is really impressed with the interior design. The gas mileage is a bit under what is marketed but that's more of my heavy foot because the car is so fun to drive. On the highway with cruise control, it beats expectations. I was considering the GTI but the functionality, electronics, overall look, known reliability provided a better overall value of the Hyundai versus the incumbent.