Used 2006 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Never again
By Steve

2006 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my 2006 Insight for 7 years. Bought used with 32000 miles and only have 92000 now. When I first got it, it only had one key and fob, I went to the local Honda dealership to have one made, they wanted $100 to make a key. I ask why it was so much, the service manager said because they were the only ones that could make it, so they could charge whatever they wanted. Never took it back to that dealer. The car was o.k., lots of road noise, slow acceleration, but the big plus was the great gas mileage when gas was over $4.00/gal. Averaging around 60mpg. My wife would routinely get 63mpg, I would get 52mpg. The biggest complaint is the IMA battery system. After 2.5 years of owning the car the battery failed. It was covered under warranty, so I didn't complain to much. Now, 4 years later, the battery has again failed. I didn't realize the replacement battery only had a 3yr/36000 mile warranty, so now I am faced with $4000 repair bill. Even though I didn't pay for the first battery, it seems excessive to have 2 battery packs fail in the 10 year life of the car. Without replacing the battery this time, the car is practically worthless. I have a VW diesel that has 300000 miles, with only oil changes. No more Honda's and no more hybrids.

Insightful commentary
By Jack

2006 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I'm 77 and this is the most reliable car I've ever owned, even though I didn't buy it new. It runs and drives the same day after day...very few problems. My lifetime fuel economy is 64+ mpg. Pluses include regenerative braking on hills saving brakes, terrific handling within the limits of the tires, and very good heat and A/C. Minuses include poor hill climbing ability (what would you expect with 70 hp?), no cruise control (but it would decrease fuel economy), and a low seating position (I've had back surgery). It's very comfortable to drive but perhaps difficult for old timers to ingress and egress.

Brilliance
By xzizx

The increase in vehicle interaction from the Insights digital display takes driving to a new standard. One where it is possible for precision gas saving. Very little guessing. Bad driving is spelled out right in front of you with lower mpg. Keeps one honest. At least more so than a vehicle w/o the same type of display. My 2006's Marconi sticker claims 57 City 56 Hghwy. I beat that easily. Took about a week for me to regularly beat those numbers. Avg City romps bring 66-70 mpg. Highway, which is supposed to be lower is even higher. Might have to do with having rare Cruise Control Option. Set it at 50-55 mph and the mileage is 70+mpg. These figs are w/o A/c running.

The convenience/comfort features, auto a/c, great sounding c/d stereo radio power Windows, door locks, its is really a Cadillac comfortable sports car. I say sports car, because this is no slug! If I wanted, I could fly by most cars; especially since I can do it getting 40 mpg with a/c.

FIRST! Nothing! Hard to Find Accessories! Like Wind Deflectors, Bra. Would be nice if the dash could allow for Full Screen GPS, w/DVD. As is Only a 4.3 inch DVD w/Gps will fit. Hey its hard to think of anything wrong. There just isn't any. Yeah its a little job climbing out. good prob!

Fun little car, great for So Cal!
By Dude

I've always wanted an Insight since they first came out years back. In CA I have the carpool lane sticker, and it's invaluable as it always comes in handy having the extra lane as an option. Car is very reliable and had only minor quirks ( rear view mirror fix, and power window track cleaning ). It is super fun to drive, and has great handling. It is SUPER efficient on gas, and pretty quick and fast as well. There is some storage capability as well, and it's great for So. CA. It might not work as well in rain and snow areas, as it is low to the ground and has small tires, but if you live in a moderate climate, it is really an excellent car to own!!!

The A/C control is very cool and easy to dial in and also has an ECON mode. The digital dashboard display is very cool as well. The way the car accelerates sounds cool, and you get the airplane take off sound as well! Handling and maneuverability is SO awesome with the size as well!!!

An improvement would be to continue making these cars! Also, a better factory sound system and stock alarm system would be nice. Having factory leather seats would be way cool, but that can be done aftermarket!!! It really has SO much value for what it is, that you can't complain!

The best car i own
By CHAZODIN

2006 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have 5 cars and barely touch my MB, my BMW, my Escalade, my classic Bentley Convertible, or any guzzler. This is the most fun car to drive and I forget the last time each time I fill the 10.6 gal tank....I get up to 70 mpg.

Quietness and maneuverability and zip.

I love it as is....I had grey leather put in to customize it...baby glove leather which is lightweight.