Used 2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

A Fun , Reliable Choice for a Hybrid Commuter
By Michael

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback EX 2dr Hatchback w/Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The CR-Z is an odd duck car, but if you're into that it's pretty enjoyable. Styling is a weird mashup of the Honda CR-X and the Honda Insight, but I like it a lot. Looks a lot sportier than it actually is, especially with the CVT transmission. Unlike other hybrids, the CR-Z never actually runs entirely on electricity, the battery is used as an assist, even at low RPM. This means it gets significantly worse mileage than other hybrids. It also means the engine is on tap more often, so it's more fun to push through a mountain road than a Prius etc. It has 3 modes, Econ, Normal, and Sport. Econ is fairly dreadful and only applicable for stop and go. Normal increases the throttle response a bit. Sport mode disables the engine-off at stop lights completely and increases the rev range before the CVT will shift. There's a forth "mode" that let's you only use the paddles to shift, but has to be enabled via some buttons and inputs (it's in the user manual). Overall the CVT is kind of laggy paired with the engine-off, and makes some weird shifting decisions in anything but Sport mode. While heavy for what it is, the car's short wheelbase and S+ button (temporarily enables full battery assist and allows the car to rev very high) make up for it. It's not at all fast in a straight line, but get used to its paddle shifters and and the CVT and it's quite fun to throw around windy roads. Interior is like a video game with a billion buttons and some cool info on the dash. It's very stylish and a lot better than the average Honda imo. Def not for fans of minimalism. As mentioned, the rear visibility on this car is bad. Lane changes require a couple head turns and mirror checks. The reverse camera makes parking a lot easier though. The sound system with the subwoofer is awesome, legit the best car stereo I've had. I bought mine used, and even then, the resale on these cars is pretty tough, they seem to depreciate a lot harder than the average Honda. That said, a good example can be purchased really cheaply, and make no mistake this is a reliable, fun car. These cars are built and assembled in Honda's Japanese factory, so you know it's good. Overall, if you don't need a lot of space, aren't hauling people, and are looking for a commuter with good mileage and above average fun factor, this is a great pick.

Mini rocket car
By J green

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Car handles great was a lot of fun with nice features out of shape people hate getting in and out traded in along with ford escape for new escape wish i could have kept it

Money Saver
By C. P.

Bought this car because it was a hybrid and I wanted to save money on gasoline. I consistently got better mileage than all the reports. At times, in Economy Mode, trying to squeeze the mileage, I got 50 mpg!

Two days and I'm hooked
By Leslie

I shall forewarn you, I'm rather biased when it comes to this car because my first and only car before this was a 1999 CRV. Compared to that vehicle, this thing has EVERYTHING. It's sporty enough for me, and its features just keep piling on! I'm used to the only way I could listen to the music on my phone/iPod was through a radio FM transmitter, so going from that to having USB, Aux, CD, Bluetooth... I'm overwhelmed. Unfortunately I'm also overwhelmed by the dash. There are about a billion buttons on the dash. I can kinda get the feel for how the designer tried to make it less confusing with grouping certain items on different parts of the dashboard, but it'll take some MAJOR getting used to before I can do anything while driving. Another huge downfall is the visibility. Other reviews here have hit the nail on the head about backing out of a parking space; damn near impossible. My advice: go very slow and hope someone lets you out. If you adjust your mirrors out wide enough, though, you can easily get rid of blind spots while moving no problem. Also, it could be that since I'm used to my CRV, but the doors are very long, and if you have to park somewhat close next to someone, it is a major struggle getting out of this vehicle. This car sits very low to the ground as well. I have not had problems yet with scraping at curbs, but I know for sure I have a hard time standing up after I'm done driving. Again, this could be bias based on the fact all I've ever known is a CRV. As far as the drive goes, it's fairly smooth for a car that sits so low. However, coming out of a stop while the engine is off is a little rough, almost like the hybrid doesn't mix very happily with the CVT. This is the only instance where something like that happens, though. I am EXTREMELY happy with the sound system. I annoy everyone with the subs. The seating is very comfortable for a moderate sized person, forming to typical curves of a normal human body. Also for a sporty car, there is a LOT of leg room. Probably due to the fact that it has no back seat, which was honestly one of the biggest hesitant factors I had when buying the car. However, since it has extra cargo space under a decently revealing cargo door, I don't normally have problems with a space issue unless I have 3+ people that want to ride with me. Decent sacrifice to make for a car like this one. Oh, and the projected MPG's are a bit lower than what I usually get since I don't normally drive like a maniac anyway. Overall, I'm very happy with this car, and I definitely turn lots of heads with it.

Great tuner car
By Sean

2011 Honda CR-Z Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I'll start with this I got my crz in 2014 after gaulking at them on the road since my senior year of high school. Finally had one of my dream cars! It handles like a sports car should and for a hybrid it has quite some pick up to it if your looking for speed in this car you won't find it in the econ or normal mode but throw it in to sports mode and if automatic turn on manual mode and I've out ran chargers on the highway. There any many downfalls to this car pros is quick fun to drive the navigation and sound system is on spot and you Def turn heads is one of those cats that make people go "that's a hybrid"?!? Cons like everyone else says yes it has a blind spot that can hide a semi truck all my windows are tinted to witch makes backing up at night quite the task in America us there are no back seats they replaced them with Extra cargo but if you buy pays out of Europe the car was originally designed with a 2seat back seat is only big enough for small children and I recently did my own oil on my z for the first time myself out was difficult since the ground Clarence is no more the about maybe 3and 1/2 in you cans drive it up on ramps or anything. But what about do people don't want to go through the trouble doing is the tuning of the car Honda made the crz as a throw back to the crx and it is just as customizable if you have some extra money to put in to it. Get a muggen or spoon or hks racing kit and you'll have a car of envy at the Track.