Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 282 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Civic EX
By amber

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First Honda. Had a Matrix before this. Love the look of this car and the way it drives. Antilock brakes occasionally feel "crunchy." Auto transmission doesn't always shift smoothly. Axle nut loose after 6000 miles. Do not like the auto up windows or the seat belt alarm that takes forever to go off. (I know, I know, it's illegal to not wear a seatbelt!) 35 mpg hwy is great. Not so good city driving. About 24 mpg. Combo driving is still good. Ride is hard but will try the lower tire pressure.

Looks and drives great. Good trunk size. Controls on steering wheel are good.

Auto up windows are a pain. Seatbelt alarm should remind and go off. Would like a thicker steering wheel.

Very good, but still lacking
By Sam

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car after owning many minivans. Most of the time I don’t have my family onboard, so it is a waste of $ and fuel to drive around a bigger size vehicle. First time for me to own a foreign vehicle. Overall I am impressed with the quality of everything, everything works nicely together. I love the small sport-sized steering wheel, good handling (some body lean, though), no squeaks & rattles; overly well built. Fuel economy so far is not that great (about 23mpg average), but having just 1,700 miles, I hope it will improve with time. I miss the illuminated power window switches - mirror switches which I use once in a lifetime is lighted, but window switches are not (except driver's)!

Small steering wheel, sporty feel, good handling, no squeaks or rattles, quality of controls, knobs & stalks. Cruise control are nice on the steering wheel, but too dim. I also love AUX IN, but it's very difficult to reach w/ 1 hand.

Remote trunk release, turning radius, extendable sun visor, variable speed wipers, wipers to cover more of windshield, improve stereo, improve road noise, door grab handle, lighted controls 4 windows / ignition key ring, light glove box, lumbar, ext. temp. gauge, bluetooth, ditch Japanese horn sound. I would also like front lamps to come on when you open front door.

Very nice car and 60% US part contents
By frank875

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Very nice car, very reliable, I don't even think will I make it anywhere. Great gas mileage. Assembled in East Liberty Ohio with 60% US part contents...check out some Pontiacs G3- G4s, etc. Some 100% Japan. The only bad thing I have to say about the Civic...that it wouldn't hurt to get some snow tires for snow, my escort handled better in the snow. Other then that, I always get people looking at my car, very nice looking car and great style.

Interior...exterior.

Need snow tires for winter driving...for snow.

Awesome Gas Mileage
By Rick

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have 9000 miles on my Honda Civic. This is the 5th Honda I've owned and one of the best. I average 44 MPG after 9000 miles and yes I keep track after each fill-up. It's fun to drive and I really enjoy the split dash design. It has adequate low end pickup but highway passing won't set you back in the seat. The car excels in its mission of mixed highway and town driving. The ride is sport-like but some may call it harsh. It has a tight firm ride which I enjoy. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent. I would recommend more outlets in the front interior area, but this is a rather picky criticism.

Split dash, excellent gas mileage and driving characteristics. It's fun to drive.

More outlets in the front seat area.

Love it!
By Lindsey

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Civic and I absolutely love it! Hondas are simply reliable and low maintenance. Everyone comments on both the exterior and interior! I find it to drive very smoothly and haven't found it to be loud. I've been in my friend's Cobalt, talk about loud and obnoxious! I have had the car for a little over six months now and I've had no problems. I commute a pretty far distance and have also taken a long road trip. The gas mileage is great as well. I do mostly highway driving and average about 35 mpg. It's so fun to drive!

stylish look of both the exterior and interior, gas mileage

trunk open option on key