Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Don't Do it!
By OceanDancer

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

This car is not worth the money. At 120k I have put $1400 in front end work. It eats up rotors. My valve cover gaskets are leaking. My heat decided to stop working this week. My lights dim when I brake, interior lights won't shut off, this is just a few of the numerous electrical problems. Two words for this car, money pit!

Lots of room.

Super Taurus
By gormac

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Great car, and extremely good for hauling stuff. I can not tell you how many antiques I have brought home in this car. Only complaints I have is the air and heat, neither works again and suspect the vacuum on the dividing door. $1000 in labor to remove the dash to fix, plus parts.

Ride, safety feeling, comfort

Better mileage, lumbar support. a heater/air conditioner that works would be nice.

Car with most mileage I've ever owed!
By Gloria

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 1 year as a company car before purchasing it. In a not so stable economy in 2006 I purchased this car with 147,000 miles. I have been literally amazed by the durability and performance. Other than routine oil changes and preventive maintanance I have spent very little. I drive long distance miles with the company I work for and I get 29 miles per gallon. That's better mileage than most new cars. I had always driven small cars before this purchase and always new. So this car has simply changed my mind about trends. It now has 201,000 miles on it and 9 years old. And so far, so good.

I've simply gotten spoiled with the power windows, power seats, and especially cruise control which none of my other cars has had. I love the smoothness of the ride. You really feel safe.

I've owned 3 Fords including this one and I've noticed they all have the same problem, ignition lock up. Temporary solution is to turn the steering wheel back and forth until it unlocks. This issue definitely needs to addressing and needs to be fixed going forward.

One of Ford's better ideas
By John Hamilton

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car as an "executive driven" used vehicle with only 5500 miles on the odometer in 2001. Other than the individual coils on the spark plugs failing at the worst times and the intake manifold blowing, the car has had only routine maintenance. The ride,fuel economy and reliability has been very good. The 24 valve engine has had the oil and filter changed regularly at 3,000 mile intervals and performs very well for an eight year old car. The leather seats are still in excellent condition and I had individual dual heating installed by the dealer at time of purchase. I hope to keep this car for the foreseeable future.

24 valve engine. The power is there when you need it. This car has been to Florida 5 times on 2600 mile round trips and was very comfortable. Great on all trips.

Rear headrests. Why didn't Ford design rear headrests on the SEL model?

Prayerfully on borrowed time.
By Susie Q

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new because Ford offered me a deal on my dead 4 year old Windstar. 8 Yrs later, it now has 226k miles on it (everything works). Need I say more? It gets 30 mpg on the hwy. Always used Mobile 1. Replaced the brakes annually due to driving hard and often. A few sensor problems. As precaution replaced the S belt at 100k. Mechanically sound & no big issues other than suspension wear & tear. My kids are driving their own cars now & other than wanting a fun car to drive, I can't justify replacing it. (the kids borrow the Taurus when their cars breakdown-go figure!) I'm hoping & praying she makes it to 300k miles. I'll let you know when she does!

Comfortable on long drives. Peppy engine 24v-tec. Seats 8, which was great when I was driving kids. Good gas mileage. When new, it was 'almost' stylish for a wagon.

One huge complaint! I have leather seats, power seats, 3rd row seat, but no CD player, only a radio and cassette player. This was tough on long trips. What were they thinking?